QR Interlining (Baggage)

Old May 20, 2023, 12:03 pm
  #496  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 47
BHX to ADL via DOH

Hello,

I have a Qatar reservation from BHX to DoH to ADL.

Considering booking a ADL to MEL flight on Qantas (BA reward) with a flight time of 3 hours after arrival from Doha.

Would through ticketing to MEL be possible?

Thanks in advance.
Johnlr255 is offline  
Old May 20, 2023, 2:12 pm
  #497  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by Johnlr255
Hello,

I have a Qatar reservation from BHX to DoH to ADL.

Considering booking a ADL to MEL flight on Qantas (BA reward) with a flight time of 3 hours after arrival from Doha.

Would through ticketing to MEL be possible?

Thanks in advance.
You will have to collect your bag and go through customs as you will be going from International to Domestic, so there isn't really any benefit. Checking in for the domestic flight will only take a few minutes and you can do it up to 30 min before departure.
Johnlr255 likes this.
braiden9 is online now  
Old May 20, 2023, 2:20 pm
  #498  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by braiden9
You will have to collect your bag and go through customs as you will be going from International to Domestic, so there isn't really any benefit. Checking in for the domestic flight will only take a few minutes and you can do it up to 30 min before departure.
Hello,

Thanks for the information 😁
Johnlr255 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:14 pm
  #499  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,160
BNE-DOH-LHR interline LHR-FAO

Travelling
PNR1: BNE-DOH-LHR(t4) - QR (ba rewards) - Lands 13:15
2 hour connection
PNR2: LHR-FAO - BA (ba rewards) - Departs 15:15

Based on what ive read i shouldn't have too much issue requesting that my bag get checked in at BNE and picked up at FAO even with the terminal swap, have i got this right?

And will i be able to use the landside transfer from T4 to T5?
babyg_wc is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:22 pm
  #500  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,847
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Travelling
PNR1: BNE-DOH-LHR(t4) - QR (ba rewards) - Lands 13:15
2 hour connection
PNR2: LHR-FAO - BA (ba rewards) - Departs 15:15

Based on what ive read i shouldn't have too much issue requesting that my bag get checked in at BNE and picked up at FAO even with the terminal swap, have i got this right?

And will i be able to use the landside transfer from T4 to T5?
In principle, on the outbound you can ask QR for your bag to be checked through. And if you are eligible to enter the UK you can use one of the landside transfer options. However, there are a number of things that could go wrong here - delayed inbound, delays at the border, delays to baggage handling, slow landside transfer, public transport strikes - all of which are not uncommon and mean that you or your bag could arrive at T5 later than the conformance cut off.

I might risk it if I didn't have a checked bag but even then I'd be uncomfortable. And as you are on separate tickets BA will not be obliged to rebook you on a later flight if you miss the one at T5. BA also will not check your bag though on the way back if you are going back the same way. I would opt for a longer time between flights if that is an option, and possibly also collect my bag at T4 and recheck it at T5 just to design out one of those issues. Others may be more gung ho but LHR is not always a slick operation.
plunet likes this.
KingCanute is offline  
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:40 am
  #501  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong, France
Programs: FB , BA Gold
Posts: 15,436
I second KingCanute option.
This is an extremely risky transit unless all the stars align.
brunos is offline  
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:47 pm
  #502  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Posts: 2,869
This plan is too reliant on the ground staff at BNE being cooperative enough to check you through. I know it's QR's published policy, but at outstations where check-in staff are likely contracted for several airlines, you may well run into an unhelpful agent.

If for whatever reason they refuse and you have to recheck your bags at LHR, this will be very, very tight. Even if you breeze through the UK border you'd still have to wait for bags, which isn't exactly one of LHR's strong points (to say the least). Then you'd have to deal with a T4-T5 landside transfer and drop your bags off at least 45 minutes before the BA flight departs.
SilverChris is offline  
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:24 pm
  #503  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,160
Originally Posted by SilverChris
This plan is too reliant on the ground staff at BNE being cooperative enough to check you through. I know it's QR's published policy, but at outstations where check-in staff are likely contracted for several airlines, you may well run into an unhelpful agent.

If for whatever reason they refuse and you have to recheck your bags at LHR, this will be very, very tight. Even if you breeze through the UK border you'd still have to wait for bags, which isn't exactly one of LHR's strong points (to say the least). Then you'd have to deal with a T4-T5 landside transfer and drop your bags off at least 45 minutes before the BA flight departs.
Originally Posted by brunos
I second KingCanute option.
This is an extremely risky transit unless all the stars align.
Not sure its the ground staff at BNE that will be the challenge given its QR policy to interline - ill have the rules at the ready... but Ill de-risk it (somewhat) and go hand baggage only... note there is no other LHR flight so unless i change airports i would be adding an extra night...
One final querry...
If i did check in baggage (I have a British and Portuguese passport) would this help with the airside T4/T5 transfer?
Or would HBO allow me to airside transfer too?
babyg_wc is offline  
Old Jun 6, 2023, 3:03 am
  #504  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BRS
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,932
If they check your bag through or if you go HBO you can use the airside transfer bus from T4 to T5.

I guess the best way would be to go hand luggage only, 2nd best option would be for them to check your bags through. At least then you can go directly to T5 without waiting for your bags at reclaim.
babyg_wc likes this.
Schwann is offline  
Old Jun 6, 2023, 12:42 pm
  #505  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Posts: 2,869
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Not sure its the ground staff at BNE that will be the challenge given its QR policy to interline - ill have the rules at the ready... but Ill de-risk it (somewhat) and go hand baggage only...
To echo the earlier advice, HBO is the best way to approach this. My point is, the published policy can differ from what you encounter. It's not unheard of for QR outstations to refuse through-checking across separate tickets, and you'd have no recourse if that happens.
SilverChris is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:03 am
  #506  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK (EMA/LHR), NL (GRQ/AMS), SE Asia (TAC/BKK)
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Posts: 653
I'm very happy to have found this thread!
I've just arranged a rather gruelling journey for my sister-in-law; it's her first international trip, yet it's longer than any trip I (or indeed, most FT-ers) will have taken. She's moving from Tacloban (the Philippines) to Georgetown (Grand Cayman). There's no "nice" way to do this, and all the shorter eastbound itineraries (which actually don't take any less time) involve transfer in the USA, which would require a $185 transfer visa that involves going to Manila for a visa interview - absolutely insane if you ask me. So, westbound via London is the only practical option. I've added up the flight leg distances (MNL-DOH-LHR-GCM), and it's 20,300km, excluding the Tacloban leg and the en-route stop in Nassau; that's further than the world's two furthest-apart cities, which are around 19,700km apart IIRC. Anyway, I digress. This was a tough trip to book; the best price for the Qatar flight MNL-LHR was $768 economy or $1,810 business, which is not too bad. However, the BA flight LHR-GCM was an astounding 2,401 in economy! Thankfully my brain clicked, and I tried adding a [throwaway] return leg, and it dropped the BA price to 1,062. So, I recommended using the savings to buy the Qatar flight as business, given the DVT risks of 28+ hours of actual seat-time in an economy seat with only a few hours of transfers (coming to about 34h total trip time!).

The only way to book the flights for this itinerary was on two separate tickets, purchased via the QR and BA sites respectively.

I have a few questions regarding interlining:
- This thread seems to indicate that Qatar should interline her bags to BA at LHR (arriving T4, departing T3). Does anyone have any specific experience of the staff in MNL, or transfers to NA/Caribbean flights to help confirm this?
- I suspect she will have two checked suitcases. Obviously no problem with QR in business. However, BA only provides 1 checked bag (23kg). a) Does it seem possible that if she is able to get the bags checked-in from Manila to GCM, that somehow the extra bag might get in for free on the BA flight? Or is the staff/computer likely to flag this? b) If it does get flagged, does anyone know the extra cost, and where/how she could pay this in advance? BA site only mentions a 65 charge for overweight bags, I can't seem to find whether this is also the cost for extra bags, and whether this can be paid in advance online.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this! I've never done an international-international transfer at LHR that I can recall, so any insight you can offer would be super helpful for me and also my sister-in-law, who I'm pretty sure is going to be really stressed about so many new things to deal with, especially on such a long journey, so I will try and provide her as many details as possible in advance...
InternationalLiving is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:34 am
  #507  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,847
Yes, a competent check in agent will spot the switch to econony and likely query the baggage allowance. But extra bags can easily be bought in advance. Go to BA's Manage My Booking, and somewhere amongst all of the options under the flight will be baggage, with an option there to pay for more in advance (at less than at the airport). The first extra bag may be cheaper than any subsequent extra bags, MMB will tell you for that particular itinerary. And pay attention to the weights. Buying two additional bags may be cheaper than buying one and being hit with excess weight at the airport on both. I don't have any BA long haul bookings to check pricing but 65 is the pre-airport charge for an extra bag on my next short haul booking. It shouldn't be a problem checking through to BA but it may be worth having access to or a print of the "Through Check-in" section under "Seamless Service" in this link:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

The fares sound interesting. Was it realy 2401 one way but 1062 return? That was a good spot!
KingCanute is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:52 am
  #508  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK (EMA/LHR), NL (GRQ/AMS), SE Asia (TAC/BKK)
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Posts: 653
Amazing, thanks for the detailed baggage information and tips on purchasing extra! I'll go through that with her on the site to look at what can be done. I've let her know to take the website interline information also...

Originally Posted by KingCanute
The fares sound interesting. Was it realy 2401 one way but 1062 return? That was a good spot!
Yep, it was indeed! At first I was just angry (I've hated BA since 2018 haha), so much so that I looked for alternate routes, and after an email with the Jamaican consulate in Manila (they replied in 20 minutes!), they confirmed that Filipinos can stay visa-free for up to 3 days in Jamaica for transfers; this would have allowed her to get a flight with Virgin for about 900 to Montego Bay, and an onward flight with Cayman Airways 36 hours later, but obviously that adds hassle. I looked at the BA flight again, and noticed that EVERY DAY was 2,401 for one-way, which just didn't seem right. So I guess they only sell the one-ways at full-fare Y. Just glad I thought to check adding the return - the fare difference was almost the entire cost of the QR ticket MNL-LHR in business!
KingCanute likes this.
InternationalLiving is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:02 am
  #509  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 1,847
One way tickets can be very pricey. More than once I have found it cheaper to buy the points for a one way ticket than pay cash, especially when there's a points sale on. But it sounds like you found another good workaround, well done you. Dont forget to go back into MMB after she's flown the outbound to check if there's any refund due by cancelling the return. The cancellation fee might wipe out anything due back but you never know, there might be enough for a beer or two...
KingCanute is offline  
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:47 am
  #510  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK (EMA/LHR), NL (GRQ/AMS), SE Asia (TAC/BKK)
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Posts: 653
Thanks! I was rather chuffed actually haha, definitely one of the most challenging itineraties I've booked before, and certainly the biggest saving I've ever unlocked (and, not one you'd find via Kayak or Skyscanner, either). Also satisfying that the cheapest itinerary Kayak could find was 1700, taking 34h, 3 stops, with ANA/Continental via the US in all-economy, and for 2485 I've managed 2 stops in 34h with 2/3 of the flying in QR J

Originally Posted by KingCanute
More than once I have found it cheaper to buy the points for a one way ticket than pay cash, especially when there's a points sale on.
Interesting! There seems no-end to the clever workarounds FTers find for saving money, I'll have to remember that one for the future! (Although in this case it wouldn't have helped, as no awards were available with the flight only being a month away...)

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Dont forget to go back into MMB after she's flown the outbound to check if there's any refund due by cancelling the return. The cancellation fee might wipe out anything due back but you never know, there might be enough for a beer or two...
Ha, that's a good point! And I'm sure appreciated with the living costs in the Caymans. For now, I recommended she booked the cheap return portion for October, because she will probably come to visit the UK next July to see her sister (my wife); while July isn't yet open for booking, when it is the change fee is only 50 plus difference in fare, so that would be even better...
KingCanute likes this.
InternationalLiving is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.