Wiki Posts
Search

Emerald greetings - who gets them?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Emerald greetings - who gets them?

I've just flown QR four times this weekend - LGW-DOH-BKK and return within the space of 60 hours from entering and leaving Gatwick, all on economy.

Setting aside the wisdom of that, I'm OneWorld Emerald and was very well looked after indeed by all the ground staff - impressed.

On board, however, on each of the flights I watched several other people around me get greeted by the CSD as OneWorld Emerald - but not me. Not surprising as I had good seats throughout and in fact an empty seat net

While I don't want to appear to be a DYKWIA - do they know who I am? Doesn't seem to have been a booking issue because I got every other benefit with no problems. Similarly people immediately next to and behind me were greeted so they did get as far as my part of the cabin. Could they only be greeting their own Platinum members?

None of this really matters because everything else was spot on (and greetings almost never happen in Y on BA): I'm just curious.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
I've just flown QR four times this weekend - LGW-DOH-BKK and return within the space of 60 hours from entering and leaving Gatwick, all on economy.

Setting aside the wisdom of that, I'm OneWorld Emerald and was very well looked after indeed by all the ground staff - impressed.

On board, however, on each of the flights I watched several other people around me get greeted by the CSD as OneWorld Emerald - but not me. Not surprising as I had good seats throughout and in fact an empty seat net

While I don't want to appear to be a DYKWIA - do they know who I am? Doesn't seem to have been a booking issue because I got every other benefit with no problems. Similarly people immediately next to and behind me were greeted so they did get as far as my part of the cabin. Could they only be greeting their own Platinum members?

None of this really matters because everything else was spot on (and greetings almost never happen in Y on BA): I'm just curious.
Seems to be quite random indeed. If there's any status perk I don't care about, it's that one. If anything, I am happy whenever it doesn't happen as it keeps me from having to stutter a slightly embarassed thank you.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
nothing at all for me last week on LHR-DOH-BLR and back.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Even QR silvers sometimes get greetings. Seems random. As QR plat it's like an 80% rate in economy for me.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:31 am

I believe it is QRPC's own status members only.

I have a 90% hit rate as silver an gold in the past 3 years. They've recently upped their game and made the Cabin senior do it in addition to crew serving the area.

I don't mind it as it means I get a pre-meal drink, meal reservation and eat on demand in economy.

One time they've missed it, the cabin senior brought around champagne, nuts and chocolate.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR crew have multiple copies of the passenger lists for their relevant cabin - if you pop into the galley mid-flight, you'll see it stuck up on one of the walls! On the sheets, you'll see your relevant OneWorld status.

The crew are told to greet QRPC Platinum, Gold and Silver, as well as OWE by name. It should be done prior to the first meal being served, but if on a night-flight, it is sometimes done just before landing.

M
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've never received an OWE greeting on QR. However, I do typically get the standard greeting from the ISM when traveling in QR J.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Emerald greetings - who gets them? Who cares?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that an airline can do which has a smaller effect on how much I like the flight.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that an airline can do which has a smaller effect on how much I like the flight.
A slight derailment of the thread, but the one thing that would matter more than this, and is equally small, would be taking catering by status. I've just learnt to snag some of the senior crew during boarding and ask to reserve any item that looks like I would want. Problem solved.

-A
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:18 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by swingaling
I've never received an OWE greeting on QR. However, I do typically get the standard greeting from the ISM when traveling in QR J.
Same here. Zero acknowledgement of my Platinum/Emerald on board, or on the ground for that matter (not that it does matter).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:12 am

As a QRPC gold, my experience is that I almost always get the greeting in economy. I took a flight from Doha to Dublin last week and was personally greeted by 3 different cabin crew including the senior cabin crew and was also asked for feedback shortly before landing, I was very impressed by this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:45 am

I find if you change seat at the gate or after check in, the crew sometimes can't locate you.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Also always greeted and treated like a king when traveling in Y; pre meal drink (s), re-fill (s) , choice of meal... In my last flight the flight crew heard that I was a bit cold and after five minutes the Senior cabin crew came and told me they had increase the temperature 3 degrees. Such a pity that the 2018 "enhancements" make QRPC an enormous piece of turd...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
or maybe the number of QRPC Plat is melting fast then QR maybe realized it ?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by GalaxyChris
or maybe the number of QRPC Plat is melting fast then QR maybe realized it ?
I'm sure they have had the relevant feedback to understand it if they want to. I have noticed that the last 2-4 months crew tend to cozy up more. I make sure all of them get to hear that I'm all good with the onboard people, but someone need to pass it up the ladder that the backoffice in Doha is about as "one star" as it gets for an airline loving to brag about stars.

-A
Richard Bell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.