PHL Lounge - Which one

Old Oct 26, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: Exec Club - Gold, HH - Diamond, Club Carlson - Gold, IHG - Platinum
On the off chance you are an AMEX platinum holder, the centurion lounge is much better than either BA first/galleries lounge at PHL
Old Oct 26, 18, 12:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
Again, my point is that yo expected to be admitted to First Dining, when it is explicitly for BA F passengers. It has nothing to do with hot food/cold food. It has to do with what you felt you were entitled to, when you were not. Maybe BA should provide hot food in the F side of the lounge. They don't. There is no published OWE benefit that entitles you to "hot food," through whatever source.

Yes. And IAD, and ORD, and EWR, and YYZ. You're limited to whatever the lounge provisions for all guests. Only if you are in BA J, or BA F, do you have access to Sleeper Service pre-flight supper or First Dining, respectively.

And the answer is because they're different airlines who offer different things in their lounges? Why don't Flagship Lounges have spas? BA's Lounges do. Why doesn't CX have a sauna? AY does. There's no rule about what food lounges have to provide. They're not treating you differently from other passengers.
Sounds like I have to restate what I wrote because there is a communication gap between us. I did NOT expect to be admitted to First dining. All I wanted was hot food, whether F side or J side, I did not care. On BOTH the F side and J side, BA passengers can have hot food, but QR passengers cannot. So yes the issue is entirely about hot food. And if a specific lounge does not have hot food at all, then so be it. But my issue is that there is hot food in there, but QR passengers are not offered the same as BA passengers. So yes, they are treating non-BA passengers differently than BA passengers.

I don't care about airlines offering different things in different lounges, that's life. But if you are part of OW then I do have an issue if the airline prohibits OW guests from having certain things that other passengers can. Have you seen a spa that guests of the host airline could use, but not you? Can a QR passenger use the AY sauna or are they told it's limited to Finnair passengers?

As far as I know BA is the only airline that limits offerings to non-BA passengers. That's not to say that I have been to all lounges in the world, but please give me an example that suits my argument: which lounge has a differentiation to the product offered to guests inside a particular lounge depending on the airline they fly.

That would be like an airline having alcohol in the lounge and the bartender asks to see your boarding pass to know what is your airline, depending which one it is, you can have a drink, otherwise, then water for you!
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Sounds like I have to restate what I wrote because there is a communication gap between us. I did NOT expect to be admitted to First dining. All I wanted was hot food, whether F side or J side, I did not care. On BOTH the F side and J side, BA passengers can have hot food, but QR passengers cannot. So yes the issue is entirely about hot food. And if a specific lounge does not have hot food at all, then so be it. But my issue is that there is hot food in there, but QR passengers are not offered the same as BA passengers. So yes, they are treating non-BA passengers differently than BA passengers.

I don't care about airlines offering different things in different lounges, that's life. But if you are part of OW then I do have an issue if the airline prohibits OW guests from having certain things that other passengers can. Have you seen a spa that guests of the host airline could use, but not you? Can a QR passenger use the AY sauna or are they told it's limited to Finnair passengers?

As far as I know BA is the only airline that limits offerings to non-BA passengers. That's not to say that I have been to all lounges in the world, but please give me an example that suits my argument: which lounge has a differentiation to the product offered to guests inside a particular lounge depending on the airline they fly.
Having been in this lounge MANY times, as well as other BA lounges MANY times, I don't know where you are getting this from. It is patently, unequivocally incorrect. The lounge is not differentiating between QR and BA passengers. On the F side, they are differentiating between those with a BA F boarding pass for First Dining, and everyone else, meaning those with any kind of OWE status in any cabin other than BA F on any OW airline. Ditto on the J side.

Given that the only hot food on the F side is in First Dining, only people traveling in F on the BA 66 or BA 68, which is a grand total of 22 people max, will receive "hot food" in the F Lounge. OWE in J, PEY, or Y, on any OW airline are not receiving the elusive hot food you're talking about.

To restate one of your claims more correctly: On BOTH the F side and J side, BA passengers with a BA F or BA J boarding class, respectively, can have hot food, but OWE/OWS QR passengers, BA passengers in F or J, and OWE/OWS AA passengers cannot.

And the example you want of an airline not offering OW passengers what they offer their own passengers? AA Flagship First Dining. Available ONLY to passengers traveling on AA in F on the 77W internationally or on the A321T JFK-LAX/SFO (CX pays extra for their F passengers to have access at JFK...they are not granted access anywhere else).

Last edited by DMPHL; Oct 26, 18 at 6:41 pm
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
To restate one of your claims more correctly: On BOTH the F side and J side, BA passengers with a BA F or BA J boarding class, respectively, can have hot food, but OWE/OWS QR passengers, BA passengers in F or J, and OWE/OWS AA passengers cannot.

And the example you want of an airline not offering OW passengers what they offer their own passengers? AA Flagship First Dining. Available ONLY to passengers traveling on AA in F on the 77W internationally or on the A321T JFK-LAX/SFO (CX pays extra for their F passengers to have access at JFK...they are not granted access anywhere else).
Indeed we are now on the same page except for the minor crossed out typo above. BA F and BA J passengers can have hot food in the PHL lounge, but QR J passengers cannot. I don't think it would have been very hard to allow QR J passengers to have dining with hot food, but this issue is as much (if not more) QR as it is BA.

The main difference I see with AA Flagship Dining, is that when I went to the Flagship lounge (JFK+ORD) as a QR passenger, since my expectations is NOT Flagship Dining (just like in BA PHL my expectation is not BA F dining), I never raised a fuss because alternatives are plentiful - lots of hot food options on the buffet. This is simply not the case in the BA lounge - as a QR J passenger my alternatives are peanuts (almost litterally speaking) whereas in the AA Flagship lounge my ground experience is so much better.
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Indeed we are now on the same page except for the minor crossed out typo above. BA F and BA J passengers can have hot food in the PHL lounge, but QR J passengers cannot. I don't think it would have been very hard to allow QR J passengers to have dining with hot food, but this issue is as much (if not more) QR as it is BA.

The main difference I see with AA Flagship Dining, is that when I went to the Flagship lounge (JFK+ORD) as a QR passenger, since my expectations is NOT Flagship Dining (just like in BA PHL my expectation is not BA F dining), I never raised a fuss because alternatives are plentiful - lots of hot food options on the buffet. This is simply not the case in the BA lounge - as a QR J passenger my alternatives are peanuts (almost litterally speaking) whereas in the AA Flagship lounge my ground experience is so much better.
Definitely understand that. I think the problem is mostly with what BA is willing to provide in its lounges. It is probably not feasible for them to allow additional passengers to access the J pre-flight dining, simply because of capacity. They're slammed. And no way is QR going to pay for extra provisions in the BA lounge that would be eaten up by other OWE/OWS passengers.

The good news is that a Flagship Lounge will be opening in Philadelphia in the next 18 months (a long time, I know), and all OW status passengers and J passengers on AA and QR will have access to a hot food buffet. I imagine, at that point, the only people using the BA lounge will be those who don't know there's a better option.
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I still find it fascinating that hot lounge food is seemingly so important to you, escape4, when you are about to get on a long haul QR J flight, where the food may well be the best food in J in the world, and most definitely better than any hot food in a lounge.
Old Oct 26, 18, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I still find it fascinating that hot lounge food is seemingly so important to you, escape4, when you are about to get on a long haul QR J flight, where the food may well be the best food in J in the world, and most definitely better than any hot food in a lounge.
Ah ah, very good question sir! Here is the background: when I am tired, I am grumpy. When I am hungry, I am grumpy. When I am tired and hungry, then get out of my way LOL

I had slept 3 hours the night before my flight PHL-DOH. I did not have time to eat all day. So by the time I arrived at the airport around 6pm for my 9pm flight, I was hungry like a bear and salivating at the idea of eating Flagship lounge-type hot food buffet. I had no intention of eating during the flight (at the beginning, at least) because I was dead tired and wanted to go to sleep immediately after take off.

Then when I arrived in the BA lounge and found out they indeed had hot food, I could smell it and watch BA passengers eat in my face, it was even worse than if NOBODY in the lounge had hot food, and I had to come to FT to vent. Eating crisps and sandwiches prior to take-off when observing others eat filet mignon was NOT what I was looking for in terms of lounge experience at all!

Fortunately FT was there to smooth my feelings