Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: obduro
Summary
Qatar Airways have agreed to take four A350-900 aircraft on a dry lease basis from LATAM. The new aircraft will be re-registered to Qatar Airways. These aircraft are referred as "QATAM" due to the hybrid nature of the product (LATAM hard product, Qatar Airways service)

This thread will continue to be updated as further information emerges, and this wikipost will hopefully answer some Frequently Asked Questions.

A trip report from one of the first QATAM-operated flights can be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828024-munich-doha-qatam-jj-frame-qr-service-a350-j.html#post28008887

Rotation 1 – QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC - DOH
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) has been re-registered as A7-AMA and has been taken on a 1 year lease
  • The aircraft operates QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC – DOH, replacing the current QR A359 from March until an unspecified date in the future
  • A7-AMA entered revenue service on Wednesday 1 March 2017, operating QR59. Full entry to service took place on March 6th

Rotation 2 – QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC - DOH
  • The second aircraft (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and has been taken on a six month lease
  • The aircraft will will fly the second MUC rotation (QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC – DOH), replacing the QR A359 from April 6th until an unspecified date in the future

Rotation 3 – QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH
  • The third aircraft (unspecified) will be re-registered at A7-AMC. The lease duration is unclear at this time
  • The aircraft is currently scheduled to start on the QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH rotations from Saturday 15th April, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 1st so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Rotation 4 – QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD - DOH
  • The fourth unspecified aircraft will be re-registered as A7-AMD and the lease duration is also unclear
  • The aircraft is scheduled to operate as QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD – DOH from May 1st, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 15th so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Seating advice - Business Class
  • The QATAM A359’s “Premium Business” cabin has 30 seats in a 2-2-2 layout (compared with QR’s 36 seat A350 J cabin). There is no second business class cabin behind door 2 like on the QR aircraft
  • The 2-2-2 configuration therefore means that not all seats have direct aisle access, which may be an annoyance to single travellers who wish to occupy a window seat
  • Both toilets are located at the front of the cabin, whereas they are located behind row 6 on the QR A369. This may be of annoyance to passengers in row 1 on the QATAM A359
  • The galley is also located ahead of row 1 and therefore may generate additional noise for those seated there
  • Unlike on the QR A359, row 1 seats are not blocked until check-in and are available to reserve for passengers immediately when the aircraft is assigned
  • AC power ports and USB ports are located at every seat
  • The window seats in row 5 have one less window than the other seats in the cabin
  • Window seat pairs in Rows 1 and 2 are not recommended as due to the curvature of the cabin they have less space than other equivalent seats further back in the aircraft
  • There is no onboard bar facility on the QATAM A359

Seating advice - Economy Class
  • The QATAM A359’s economy cabin has 318 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with 31” of seat pitch and 18” width. This is comparable with QR’s A359 seat dimensions, but the cabin is much smaller, holding 247 passengers
  • There are five (yes, five) toilets located in the middle of the aircraft, between rows 33/34 and 35/36. This may be of annoyance to passengers in the area, and given the location next to door 3 people may congregate in the area between these rows
  • A sixth toilet is located behind seats 50ABC and directly to the left of 51D. This may again be of annoyance
  • The galley is located to the rear of the aircraft
  • AC power ports are located between the seats and therefore two power outlets are divided between each set of three seats. USB ports are located at each seat at the bottom of the seat back IFE monitor
  • The QATAM aircraft appears to have kept LATAM Economy+ seating that features extra leg room, at least in the short term, but it is not possible to select these seats. They are located in Row 15 (not included on the seatmap for QATAM operated flights) and both Rows 35 and 36 (blocked for selection on the seatmap)

A detailed seat map for the aircraft can be found at this link - https://www.latam.com/pt_br/conheca-nos/sobre-nos/nossa-frota/A350/
Print Wikipost

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Using widebodies on short hops is an asinine waste of resources. Unless you have some valid reason (crew training, high yield, high volume, etc) it makes no sense.
oliver2002 I entirely agree with you if the aircraft is taken off a longhaul route to fly this 'short hop'. But this aircraft was standing idle and that costs the airline money! Using this idle aircraft could also release a narrow bodied aircraft for another regional revenue earning route.
Finally there is the mathematics of the flights. The A350 has approximately twice the number of Y seats than a longhaul A320 has. Dubh estimates that there was a 40% load in Y. which in a narrow bodied aircraft would be 80%.
We both agree in principle but differ in the degree. Can we please stop this sub-topic and get back to the main topis :- LATAM A350s on the MUC and MAD routes.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by remdk
oliver2002 I entirely agree with you if the aircraft is taken off a longhaul route to fly this 'short hop'. But this aircraft was standing idle and that costs the airline money! Using this idle aircraft could also release a narrow bodied aircraft for another regional revenue earning route.
Finally there is the mathematics of the flights. The A350 has approximately twice the number of Y seats than a longhaul A320 has. Dubh estimates that there was a 40% load in Y. which in a narrow bodied aircraft would be 80%.
We both agree in principle but differ in the degree. Can we please stop this sub-topic and get back to the main topis :- LATAM A350s on the MUC and MAD routes.
As this thread is specifically about the LATAM A350s, the discussions on routings and usage of the aircraft SHOULD continue here.

The thread is not specific to longhaul routes, nor even to the two routes you have identified.

M
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
Question Changing advertised equipment

The other important reason for booking with QR from Melbourne to Madrid, is to fly their new A380 service Melb-Doha commencing 1 July; - from QR website:
"Our A380 is coming soon to Melbourne. Starting from 1 July 2017, our most luxurious Airbus A380 service will be flying daily from Melbourne to over 150 places, including over 39 European cities, with one quick transfer via Hamad International Airport, Doha."
How certain can we be that there will not be any postponement of an actual QR A380 on this service and that we don't end up on a B777 - which currently services the route, or some other surprise equipment?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:38 pm

jon747SP over the last 18 months both msm2000uk and myself, between us, have hundreds of posts saying 'Do not select flights based on aircraft type - you risk being disappointed.' or similar. That still holds true.

The A380 service to MEL relies upon a new A380 delivery scheduled for June this year as well as deliveries of the A350.

Should the delivery schedule slip for any reason then QR do not have the aircraft to operate the service with an A380. In this case QR may be able to operate an A380 service every second or third day.

Please remember your contract with QR is to fly you from A to B not to fly you from A to B on a specific aircraft type. Any changes you may wish to make will be subject to the fare rules delivered with your original ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
remdk - Thanks for the perspective on this. I've only come across Flyer Talk in the past week and the extent of risk with selecting flights for aircraft type is only just dawning on me. I realise any implications of the fare type for cancellation. It's tricky trying to synthesize optimum flying time (especially from Aus to Europe), desired aircraft type, airline inflight service, and cost. The other option I looked at was Cathay (A350) Mel-HK, then LH A380 HKG-FRA, then LH A321 FRA-MAD, and back the same way - which adds almost 6 hours travel time in one direction.

Originally Posted by remdk
jon747SP over the last 18 months both msm2000uk and myself, between us, have hundreds of posts saying 'Do not select flights based on aircraft type - you risk being disappointed.' or similar. That still holds true.

The A380 service to MEL relies upon a new A380 delivery scheduled for June this year as well as deliveries of the A350.

Should the delivery schedule slip for any reason then QR do not have the aircraft to operate the service with an A380. In this case QR may be able to operate an A380 service every second or third day.

Please remember your contract with QR is to fly you from A to B not to fly you from A to B on a specific aircraft type. Any changes you may wish to make will be subject to the fare rules delivered with your original ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jon747SP
remdk - Thanks for the perspective on this. I've only come across Flyer Talk in the past week and the extent of risk with selecting flights for aircraft type is only just dawning on me. I realise any implications of the fare type for cancellation. It's tricky trying to synthesize optimum flying time (especially from Aus to Europe), desired aircraft type, airline inflight service, and cost. The other option I looked at was Cathay (A350) Mel-HK, then LH A380 HKG-FRA, then LH A321 FRA-MAD, and back the same way - which adds almost 6 hours travel time in one direction.
You could also be on a all-cathay metal MEL-HKG-MAD as Cathay offers 5 flights per week to MAD. Just one stop (3h layover) and flight times reducted. Better option to me that the QATAM ones.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

I just did a CDG-DOH-SIN on the A350.
Servicewise , QR still offers way better food and service in general when compared to Latam Brasil. The first may feel robotic and the latter may feel uninterested at its best.

About the seat...

I like the fact that there are plenty of space to put laptops and amenity kit. But there's no privacy whatsoever and they are definitely tighter than the Latam one.
I pretty much prefer the C seat that equips the AA/CX 77W or the AF/KLM 789, for instance. They feel more private tough still tight on the shoulders and feet.

The cabin air is better in the QR plane. And if people like the automatic window shades then QR would be the choice.

Latam used to offer a mattress to cover the seat. Kinda like the one offered by JAL. Is QR offering these?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by geoshina
I just did a CDG-DOH-SIN on the A350.
Where did you do the QATAM flight on this itinerary? Or are you comparing a QR A350 flight with a separate LATAM A350 experience?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Today A7-AMA did the QR149/150 DOH-MAD-DOH rotation. Wonder if this was planned. Thought that the 350 service began only on April 15.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Seems this has indeed started early. No scheduled 788 rotations on QR149 and QR150 going forward - it's the QATAM 359 today as you say followed by 333, 359, 332 then 359 going forward for the next few weeks.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by obduro
Where did you do the QATAM flight on this itinerary? Or are you comparing a QR A350 flight with a separate LATAM A350 experience?
I didn't. I was actually comparing JJ and QR soft and hardproduct.

I have flew quite a lot of GRU-MAD with JJ and this year I have a lot of flights with QR.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
QR 1019 on may 5th, dxb-doh is a Latam based aircraft. I was looking at the seat map and thinking... strange its 2 v 2 v 2... there must be something wrong... but no just a non QR cabin.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:18 pm

The 4th LATAM acft PR-XTD soon to be A7-AMD is enroute.
A7-AMC should enter service on 26APR operating 057 MUC rotation
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Question Seatmap does not match plane

Hi,

I've got an upcoming flight from DXB to MUC and while checking my booking I've noticed that the seatmap does not match the plane (A350).

The flight from DXB to DOH is also in an A350 and the seatmap shows 1-2-1 while the DOH to MUC (and also MUC to DOH) shows a 2-2-2 configuration.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Images  
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF/KL Platinum, QR Gold (OW Sapphire), A-Club Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Hi,
the seatmap reflects the seat configuration on this particular aircraft. QR uses the leased LATAM A350 on this route with 2-2-2 in Business Class.
For more information check the thread about the leased A350.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip ��

Last edited by michi78; Apr 23, 2017 at 7:14 am Reason: Misspelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.