Dreamliner Business Pitch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:29 am
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Dreamliner Business Pitch

Hi

I am looking to book a business class seat Copenhagen - Doha on the 787, and was a bit suprised to see the seat pitch listed on the Qatar booking page as 50in. Surely this is a flat bed (the angle is listed as 177degrees) and should be nearer 80in? The 777-200lr part of the route has a pitch of 78in.

Can someone re-assure me please before I actually book the flights?

p,s, does the 2 for 1 Qatar sale end midnight on the 14th or 15th feb?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Pitch is measured in a straight line forward-backward so become irrelevant when you have angled seats like reverse herringbone
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
If you read this on the QR website, on the same page two rows below the offending seat pitch figure it states that the bed length is 77.7 - 80 inches, which matches your expectation.

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...oeing-787.page

As ajeleonard has said the comparison with the 777 isn't a like for like comparison, as the seats are forward facing whereas the Dreamliner seats are reverse herringbone.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
Can someone re-assure me please before I actually book the flights?
With lie flats seats, bed length is IMO more important than pitch and allows a better comparison between products.

A bigger seat pitch does not necessarily translate into a longer bed. The BA Club World seats have more seat pitch than the QR seats on the 787, but transform into a shorter bed.

Just compare it to angled parking vs. parallel parking: In an angled parking spot, your car fits in just as well as in a parallel parking spot, but the pitch, i.e. the distance between two identical spots on both cars (e.g. the distance between the left review mirror of car 1 and the same mirror of car 2), is inferior in the case of angled parking spots.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not even just the angling. When you put your set in a "bed" position, the seat extends under the seat in front of it. The part of the bed where you feet go does not extend to the ceiling (like the part of the bed where you head goes does).

Pitch never counts what is under other seats. So even if this wasn't herringbone, if one seat extends into a cavity on the seat in front of it (as it has on some other business class seats I've flown on that weren't herringboned), pitch still would not be reflective of "bed" length.

But yes, with herringbone, pitch is near meaningless, since it doesn't reflect much of anything that you experience.

Btw, I like the lesser pitch on the 787. The older 777 with the straight line seats and huge pitch, the video screen is a million miles away from you. With the 787 small pitch, it's at a much more reasonable distance. (I just flew both on a connection.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 15, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Btw, I like the lesser pitch on the 787. The older 777 with the straight line seats and huge pitch, the video screen is a million miles away from you. With the 787 small pitch, it's at a much more reasonable distance. (I just flew both on a connection.)
Each to their own.
I dislike the herringbone concept for premium pax.
Sleeping with my feet jammed under the seat that is in front of me, just doesn't do it. I feel confined and restricted, like I'm sleeping in a rabbit hole.
The airy wide open expanse of the 777 is unbelievable - to pay what you pay for your ticket, and get so much space in the aeroplane is fantastic.

If you do get to ride in the 777's while they are still in this current configuration, soak it up. By going to the herringbone config, airline companies (including Qatar) have discovered that they can cram more flat bed Biz seats in the same space (as a side, many FF's love the new config, as every seat has direct isle access).
Regardless, the Qatar 777 refits are in the pipeline.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by in2it54
Each to their own.
I dislike the herringbone concept for premium pax.
Sleeping with my feet jammed under the seat that is in front of me, just doesn't do it. I feel confined and restricted, like I'm sleeping in a rabbit hole.
The airy wide open expanse of the 777 is unbelievable - to pay what you pay for your ticket, and get so much space in the aeroplane is fantastic.

If you do get to ride in the 777's while they are still in this current configuration, soak it up. By going to the herringbone config, airline companies (including Qatar) have discovered that they can cram more flat bed Biz seats in the same space (as a side, many FF's love the new config, as every seat has direct isle access).
Regardless, the Qatar 777 refits are in the pipeline.
+1 ^
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by impeymac
+1 ^
I'm a huge fan of it too, sleep much better on the 777 than I do on the A380/A350/787. And don't get me started on the A340, with its footwell that's smaller than my shoe
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Each to their own.
Absolutely

Me, being short, but a bit large, I am a 787/380 fan.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Lefly

Me, being short, but a bit large, I am a 787/380 fan.
Were it not for the A380's F/J bar I would say that the A350 beats both the 380 and the 787.

Although I'm also in agreement with those who like the spaciousness of the 777 J cabin.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but some other airlines combine the two benefits, by putting the video screen on a swivel from the side.

At QR, you have to choose between better video viewing or better space, you can't get both on the same plane apparently.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, but some other airlines combine the two benefits, by putting the video screen on a swivel from the side.

At QR, you have to choose between better video viewing or better space, you can't get both on the same plane apparently.
Yes, this is why the Super Diamond seat is a much worse seat the Cirrus in my book and why I'll always prefer CX to QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.