Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting through Doha with Duty Free and OTC drugs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting through Doha with Duty Free and OTC drugs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
What about alcohol in checked bags?
Alcohol in checked luggage should never be an issue, unless if you travel to a dry country like Iran or Saudi Arabia.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Or the Maldives where some friends were penalised to the tune of Ł200 for bringing in two bottles of good wine for their honeymoon!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Or the Maldives where some friends were penalised to the tune of Ł200 for bringing in two bottles of good wine for their honeymoon!
Ah yes, the Maldives aren't really the paradise on earth when you are actually living there (in Male anyway).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:37 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
DOH
In terms of medication, you'll have no problems with tablets. I travel with a mobile pharmacy wherever I go, and nobody at DOH has ever stopped or said anything to me.

If you travel over with 10 boxes of one particular medication, then it may court some attention. However, as long as you can show they're for personal use, you'll have no problem.

Safe travels,

M
I also travel with my mobile pharmacy and have never had a problem anywhere, one or two looks oddly enough when I got stopped of a Lagos flight coming back into LHR recently.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by sturejan
But if you want to go into Doha during your transit the taxfree [alcohol] bag is not allowed in. They will store the alcohol for you though. You can pick it up once you're back at the airport (airside).
Is this true at Hamad International? Where does one do this?

I have read that it was possible at the old airport, but everything I'm seeing online and in other threads on FT is that this is not possible at Hamad.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:09 am

Hi, new to this. Can someone advise me please. If we are in transit through Doa and not expecting to leave the airport as we will be travelling directly on (need to stop and refuel on way to Sri Lanka) will I have a problem with my cocodamol? I’m packing enough for my whole journey and would hate to be in trouble with the authorities.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:13 am

Can I ask if the tablets are in your luggage is this a problem?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:48 am

Would they be better packed in luggage?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
I was in transit connecting in DOH from DEL to JFK. I bought a bottle of duty free alcohol in DEL and was assured that I could carry this through to JFK while in transit at DOH provided the STEB bag remained sealed. When you arrive at DOH and enter the main transit area where all the duty free shops are you have go through security and there was no problem with the bottle of alcohol. However at the boarding gate to JFK, there is another security check, here they did not allow the bottle to be carried on the plane as hand luggage, only choice was to leave the bottle behind or check the bag in. So be careful with duty free in transit on flights to the US.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
never ever had any problems with medication in hand luggage, transiting through DOH and Security (xanax, IBU,PArac etc etc)
they did recently spot my tiny tweezers though at security, showing they do seem to check thoroughly but their attention is not on meds/pills.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
never ever had any problems with medication in hand luggage, transiting through DOH and Security (xanax, IBU,PArac etc etc)
they did recently spot my tiny tweezers though at security, showing they do seem to check thoroughly but their attention is not on meds/pills.

thanks for this. Do you know if they check through checked luggage?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by yabadoo
I was in transit connecting in DOH from DEL to JFK. I bought a bottle of duty free alcohol in DEL and was assured that I could carry this through to JFK while in transit at DOH provided the STEB bag remained sealed. When you arrive at DOH and enter the main transit area where all the duty free shops are you have go through security and there was no problem with the bottle of alcohol. However at the boarding gate to JFK, there is another security check, here they did not allow the bottle to be carried on the plane as hand luggage, only choice was to leave the bottle behind or check the bag in. So be careful with duty free in transit on flights to the US.
I had same problem at DOH while going through security to board my flight to JFK. I had bought some duty free alcohol from Kigali airport which was sealed in duty free bag. You either leave your item or check in as checked luggage. Lucky that we had extra backpack that we used to check in. I told by one of the agents that any flights going into US from DOH is very strict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.