Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transiting through Doha with Duty Free and OTC drugs

Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Hello

I apologise for asking a question if it has already been asked. If one buys items from duty free at LHR from a variety of shops i.e. world duty free and Jo Malone for example and are transiting through Doha can you have your duty free items put in one single sealed bag or two different ones? Also do you court any problems transiting through Doha with ibruprofen/codeine tablets (bad back and neck) which are bought OTC? I know that it codeine is a banned substance in Dubai. Or will it be ok? And also any problems with Gaviscon Advance or will it be fine? Many thanks for your help
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:45 am

CharlotteC I do not know the exact situation in Qatar but since you do not pass immigration and enter Qatar but remain in transit you are in international territory and within limits can carry whatever you wish provided the airline accepts it and it is not a sensitive substance such as alcohol during Ramadan. It might be a different matter if you choose to leave the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you for that it's more for a precautionary measure than anything else. Have previously had no problems with the gaviscon but worth checking.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Jumping in with a similar question. Is it OK to transit/connect at DOH carrying alcohol during a non-Ramadan month (Sept. 2017)?

What about alcohol in checked bags?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
No Issues

Just come through Doha again. This time they actually went over rules before we landed

Some flights you enter the airport without going through security again so no issues. London usually and Bangkok for example. If you do go through security as long as Duty free is in sealed bag should be okay
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Can you have more than one sealed BA though?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Thank you. Can you have more than one sealed BA though?
They said one bag on plane. That may be due to limits for carry on planes. If you on business class you may be allowed more
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
DOH don't usually ask for liquids to be on show, so you can put the smaller bag (containing Gaviscon for example) into your handbaggage.

The larger bag, let's say a bottle of wine, can just be put normally into a tray.

With regards to Jo Malone, WDF at LHR will only seal the bag if it's a liquid (room diffuser for example). If it's a candle, it will be put in a pretty bag and tied up etc to look nice.

In terms of medication, you'll have no problems with tablets. I travel with a mobile pharmacy wherever I go, and nobody at DOH has ever stopped or said anything to me.

If you travel over with 10 boxes of one particular medication, then it may court some attention. However, as long as you can show they're for personal use, you'll have no problem.

Safe travels,

M
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:35 am

CharlotteC "What about alcohol in checked bags? " is the question, asked by PHLGovFlyer, that gav0106 is answering. Nothing to do with medicine.

Security in DOH appears to be very lapse but appearances can fool you. The only time I have seen anyone stopped in DOH security was someone with a meat cleaver in his hand luggage. As far as I can see the only thing that security do not allow is alcohol. Th
e chance that you will have to take things out of your bag is almost zero!
This thread is turning into an alcohol discussion that has been debated so many times before. My apologies to you for mentioning the word im my first reply.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you it's basic information that people always want to be told
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC
You state that you are in transit, but do not state your final destination. Some countries (e.g. Australia) have considerably stricter rules on inbound liquids. What is your final destination?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello I am going to India and it's not the liquid but just the pills I am concerned with
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum
If you have a alcohol taxfree bag with you there are no problems as long you are staying in transit.
But if you want to go into Doha during your transit the taxfree bag is not allowed in. They will store the alcohol for you though. You can pick it up once you're back at the airport (airside).
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you it won't be booze just scent and jo malone goodies

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.