Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I took the MAN flight to DOH that had 20 hours and took advantage for the +Qatar which was an excellent way of breaking the journey. Ubers Ł7/8 each way and very relaxing. I would recommend to anyone who still hasn't booked to utilise this
purple1addict likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There are two or three Manchester flights each day, so it's usually possible to go for a quick connection, or a longer wait (and the opportunity to shower). Or even take advantage of the Doha stop-over programme with its free hotel.

Showering and changing for the second fight isn't compulsory, indeed I think it's an opportunity taken up by only some of those with a long wait in DOH.
When I booked flights, there was a choice of 1h 40min change or 7h. I didn't think my husband will appreciate 7h flight + 7h break +17h flight, so chose shorter change time. 17h flight was already a stretch. Didn't expect it to go down to 1h10min. It was good promotion, but I will take my experience into consideration before I book another Quatar flight.

Well, regarding smartening, I was travelling onwards to London so wanted to look presentable and feel fresh :-)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just arrived in AKL this morning on QR920 and it was a pretty good flight overall. J was quite full and there appeared to be several BAEC Gold pax from MAN on board (FTers?).

My one issue was there were several pax who left their window shades up for at least 5+ hours. We passed into daylight around the 4hr mark, at which point the meal service was wrapping up. I, like most of the cabin, was getting ready to sleep, but the very bright cabin completely threw off my ability to sleep.

I asked the cabin crew to close the shades, but they only closed some of them. At least 10 shades remained open. Luckily, I had eyeshades so I fell asleep eventually and when I awoke 8hr later all the shades were finally down. Overall, really disappointed with how this was handled.

Anyone ever experienced this? I thought SOP for these long overnights was to keep shades closed for the entire flight. I’ve done plenty of red eyes on other carriers and they always require blinds to be closed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by swingaling
Just arrived in AKL this morning on QR920 and it was a pretty good flight overall. J was quite full and there appeared to be several BAEC Gold pax from MAN on board (FTers?).

My one issue was there were several pax who left their window shades up for at least 5+ hours. We passed into daylight around the 4hr mark, at which point the meal service was wrapping up. I, like most of the cabin, was getting ready to sleep, but the very bright cabin completely threw off my ability to sleep.

I asked the cabin crew to close the shades, but they only closed some of them. At least 10 shades remained open. Luckily, I had eyeshades so I fell asleep eventually and when I awoke 8hr later all the shades were finally down. Overall, really disappointed with how this was handled.

Anyone ever experienced this? I thought SOP for these long overnights was to keep shades closed for the entire flight. I’ve done plenty of red eyes on other carriers and they always require blinds to be closed.
I was on this flight too, sleep mask included in the amenity kit did the trick.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I was also on this flight and to be honest with these ULH flights there’s no one way of doing it, I can imagine those with the blinds open we’re mostly trying to get their body clock to to go straight into NZ time which sleeping towards the end of the flight mostly achieved.

in any case, the eye mask worked fine for me.
florin and S_W_S like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
We had the same problem on our flight to AKL. A couple at the back wouldn’t lower their blind and just to make it worse a lady kept opening her blind on the other side of the cabin every few minutes. Eye masks are ok but cabin was warm so masks not very comfortable
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
I was also on this flight and to be honest with these ULH flights there’s no one way of doing it, I can imagine those with the blinds open we’re mostly trying to get their body clock to to go straight into NZ time which sleeping towards the end of the flight mostly achieved.

in any case, the eye mask worked fine for me.
Yeah, it took a while, but the sleep mask did the trick for me as well. Didn’t help that I’d been up for 27hrs at that point, so I was a bit over tired. Staying up to adjust to NZ time wasn’t practical for me. The return should be less of an issue, I suspect.

Incidentally, were you the fellow in 1A or one of the two gents in row 4?

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
We had the same problem on our flight to AKL. A couple at the back wouldn’t lower their blind and just to make it worse a lady kept opening her blind on the other side of the cabin every few minutes. Eye masks are ok but cabin was warm so masks not very comfortable
Thankfully, the cabin was not overly warm on this flight.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
I've always worked on being on destination time from the start of my journey, so blinds open and lights on as you describe would be my preferred MO.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
We are flying Man to DOH to AKL on the 9th Nov back on the 19th...any one else? Yes the change to 1h10Min is annoying as a shower would have been nice.....
I just did that landing yesterday, the change-over in Doha was tight. Getting the bus from the middle of nowhere to the gate took a good 10mins, then security. The MAN gate was D3 and was on final call by the time I got out of security. But then I got to the gate and it was all fairly relaxed. I wonder if they put final call up early to account for the gate being so far away. Bag made it to Manchester which was my only other concern. Flight arrives in Manchester an hour early which would have been great if I'd driven to the airport, as it was I had a 2 hour wait at Piccadilly for my train home 😑
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We had great flights . Arrived back this morning , there were at least another 7 on the same deal on the flight . No champagne at all loaded akl to doh . The connection at Doha went fine .
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Timings

Any suggestions as to why the aircraft sits in AKL from 5am to 4pm?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adfg
Because it got nowhere else to go!
Scheduling (crew-aircraft-airport slots-and more) is not just based on one faraway small out station, which AKL is.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by adfg
Mainly to connect to the Europe midnight bank of departures. There isn't enough time to turn the aircraft round after its early arrival in AKL to get it back in time for the early morning Europe bank. And the longer the connection time, the more attractive (ie discount price) you have to make your flight in order to get passengers to book it.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Mainly to connect to the Europe midnight bank of departures. There isn't enough time to turn the aircraft round after its early arrival in AKL to get it back in time for the early morning Europe bank. And the longer the connection time, the more attractive (ie discount price) you have to make your flight in order to get passengers to book it.
Makes sense. Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:58 pm

On QR921 tomorrow and just saw it was swapped to the Qsuite variant. Naturally, we lost our seats, so we’re back in row 8 and 9 (instead of 2J/K). Of course the flight is under airport control, as it’s T-26hr currently.

I’ll be in AKL in a couple hours on arrival from ZQN. Anyone know if I can sort this today at the airport? Or will the checkin staff all be gone for the day?

Seems like there are some blocked seat pairs, so I’m thinking I should be able to get a favorable swap. Of course QR customer service couldn’t assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.