Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Also notice some people choosing middle seats, probably hoping no one chooses to sit next to them. Seat psychology for sure. I'm not personally sure about that approach.
It certainly works better if you are gold/emerald, for at least one of the seats next to you: well, there's a good chance of it working, but only if the flight isn't full
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It certainly works better if you are gold/emerald, for at least one of the seats next to you: well, there's a good chance of it working, but only if the flight isn't full
I have OWE and I certainly wouldn't say no to a spare seat next to me. Would prefer the whole row though! Especially AKL-DOH. Just monitoring it and checking for patterns. At the end of the day I have no control over it. But was just interested as to whether the plane could fly full with pax or if they needed to to block a few seats.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I have OWE and I certainly wouldn't say no to a spare seat next to me. Would prefer the whole row though! Especially AKL-DOH. Just monitoring it and checking for patterns. At the end of the day I have no control over it. But was just interested as to whether the plane could fly full with pax or if they needed to to block a few seats.
It depends on winds and cargo. Sometimes the flight is payload restricted and sometimes it is not.

QR also blocks off the last few rows (from about 32 onwards IIRC) for airport control.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Top of climb
It depends on winds and cargo. Sometimes the flight is payload restricted and sometimes it is not.

QR also blocks off the last few rows (from about 32 onwards IIRC) for airport control.
Cheers, I've noticed those back rows being blocked. Ah well, as stated, it's out of my control. Got a window seat at least!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Is there any news (or rumours) on the originally planned A350 serving this route? Or retro-fitting the 777-ER with q-suites? As far as I can tell, it’s over a year since this was discussed (at least on this thread)! I’m due to take this route for a second time in October.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

The A350 doesn't have the range to do AKL without significant payload penalties.
To Eat.To Drink likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Is there any news (or rumours) on the originally planned A350 serving this route? Or retro-fitting the 777-ER with q-suites? As far as I can tell, its over a year since this was discussed (at least on this thread)! Im due to take this route for a second time in October.
Originally Posted by Top of climb
The A350 doesn't have the range to do AKL without significant payload penalties.
They were originally planning to use the A350, werent they?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
I think the A350ULR can do the route but not sure whether qr has any on order. SQ are going to be using the ULR to do SIN-JFK
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: NZ*E, MPO, QR
ABB has publicly stated that they are not interested in A350ULR.

The 77L will be more profitable on the Auckland route than the 359. On a typical day the AKL-DOH route is approx. 8600 air nm. The 77L can lift 259 pax and approx 8 tonne of freight. In comparison the 359 would have to block 43 seats and only carry 230 pax without freight. They have a similar payload/fuel/distance rate at 8600 nm. Freight is important for effectively now an island nation with appetite for chilled produce from NZ. ABB has said that the 77L is the only aircraft capable for AKL. Looking to the future the 359ULR would crawl back 3 tonne or 29 pax but one long route alone doesn't justify a small QR sub-fleet. The 35K might get you another 2 tonne for a 75 % LF. The ordered 778 is a long-distance monster with 1200 more nm range but you pay for this with higher specific fuel consumption hauling more volume.

I predict for the foreseeable future the 77L will stay on the AKL route.
To Eat.To Drink likes this.

Last edited by wairakei15; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:07 am
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by wairakei15
The 77L will be more profitable on the Auckland route than the 359. ....
....I predict for the foreseeable future the 77L will stay on the AKL route.
I wish we knew more about the traffic and economics of this route. I'll admit to thinking this was a vanity project where economic analysis played a minor part.

It certainly seems a remarkably inefficient way to get lamb chops on supermarket shelves; i'm guessing the NZ appetite for dates doesn't fill the holds on the outward sector.

The passenger capacity/profit argument is predicated on there being demand at fare levels that will support the route, and on that I'm not too sure. That my December trip cost much less than a London Dubai ticket suggests that demand is not quite so rosy as we might think. But there again, the opportunity cost argument is that there's not much alternative use for 24-hours of a large aircraft.

I'm not at all fussed about the equipment used, but I'm hoping your forseable future stretches as far as December in route existential terms!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E, MPO, QR
Maybe vanity in beating EK to the punch and the longest route but more about the network value of making profit on the second segment from their strong hub and blocking their competitor's market share. It is noticeable that the second segments to Europe have higher demand, higher fares per nm and greater yield. I suggest the fuel price will need to climb significantly higher before the route could be curtailed and EK would be the first to leave with their 388s being 15 % less fuel economic, leaving QR to the route alone.

I have been watching the C fares since Feb when I booked August to VIE and QR hasn't changed and is 30 % cheaper than EK. Y is looking pretty full and in comparison EK449 is looking very light in Y.

Last edited by wairakei15; Jul 2, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
They were originally planning to use the A350, werent they?
No. Always 77L.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
do we know the one 77L which has Qsuites is deployed at which route?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Originally Posted by salehir
do we know the one 77L which has Qsuites is deployed at which route?
That will be A7-BBG which is operating DOH-IAH-DOH pretty exclusively right now.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Im sitting in Al Mourjan after flying ex AKL in J. Flight was fine, but some FAs were better than others (one bordered on rude) and it was disappointing to find the beef main not available despite trying to order it 2 hours into the flight. I thought the seat was firm but comfortable, and the bed setting ok - I agree with others re the annoying ridges at shoulder and hip level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.