Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Are they still listing Comtes de Champagne in the wine list on these flights, as shown in the trip report on one of the first flights?

I was quite excited to read that, since CdC is pretty much my favourite Champagne, but if they are persistently not loading enough of it, or any Champagne, to actually have any available for me in-flight then that is a pointlessly misleading wine list.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:05 pm

No, when I flew back in Oct/Nov it was Lanson — both in the wine list as well as what was poured.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by klausa
No, when I flew back in Oct/Nov it was Lanson — both in the wine list as well as what was poured.
OK, thanks for the info. Not as nice but I'll drink it - and QR might be able to afford to stock enough of it in J (it's about 1/4 the price of CdC)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
Are they still listing Comtes de Champagne in the wine list on these flights, as shown in the trip report on one of the first flights?

I was quite excited to read that, since CdC is pretty much my favourite Champagne, but if they are persistently not loading enough of it, or any Champagne, to actually have any available for me in-flight then that is a pointlessly misleading wine list.
I think Comtes was only served for the first few months when the route started
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Karl Gustav Annus
JOn the outbound, they were out of they were out of our first meal preference and had only 1 of the second option for the two of us. On the return, they ran out of champagne (both of them) with the pre-departure beverage service.
Also, the quality of the food could be improved, there weren't any good surprises.
Datapoint from a return AKL trip a couple of weeks ago : both Champagnes were Lanson, and no issues with availability.
Despite my efforts to eat my way through the whole menu, everything was available, save for 1 breakfast smoothie on the return leg. I had, though, booked my first choice ex-DOH. I also found the food quality to be uniformly excellent : which dishes "could be improved" ?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:07 am

Just back from 3 weeks down under. No problem though checking from AKL DOH OSL LHR MAN at the business check in at AKL. Recognised at least 4 faces from the J cabin on the 730 flight to LHR!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I’ve booked an excellent J fare for ARN-AKL-OSL for this November. We’ve finally settled on a South Island itinerary, so the plan will be to fly AKL-ZQN on the morning we arrive in AKL.

What’s the consensus for booking onward travel? Going to fly on NZ, probably in their Flexi Time fare. I’d love to redeem some UA miles for an award, but I’m concerned about change fees in the even of a missed connection (or time change).

Also, we arrive AKL at 5AM. I’m looking at the 9:30AM ZQN flight to be conservative. Is that too large a buffer? JQ also flies this route, but I’m not overly keen to fly them over NZ.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
What’s the consensus for booking onward travel? Going to fly on NZ, probably in their Flexi Time fare. I’d love to redeem some UA miles for an award, but I’m concerned about change fees in the even of a missed connection (or time change).

Also, we arrive AKL at 5AM. I’m looking at the 9:30AM ZQN flight to be conservative. Is that too large a buffer? JQ also flies this route, but I’m not overly keen to fly them over NZ.
I am in the exact same position. It looks like it is way cheaper to book myself onto two Jetstar flights with one as a contingency in case we miss the first, rather than the Air New Zealand flexifare. What do people think about that approach?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by HSR1234
I am in the exact same position. It looks like it is way cheaper to book myself onto two Jetstar flights with one as a contingency in case we miss the first, rather than the Air New Zealand flexifare. What do people think about that approach?
If the 2 fares are otherwise comparable in regards of aspects that matter to you, there's no reason not to book 2 tickets. Last time I booked a Flexi Time ticket, it was much cheaper than 2 JQ tickets.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
In case you have not scrolled back far enough in this thread, if booking Air NZ use the airNewZealand.co.nz and not the .com or other country sites. The prices on the domestic site were considerably cheaper. I thought I was going to end up booking JetStar but once I realised the pricing for NZ was cheaper on their domestic site it was miles cheaper than JetStar.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by HSR1234
Really? We've done something similar for Christchurch, and got a flexifare on the way down, plus a fare including baggage for the way back for £140 per person total. In at 4am, got a flexi fare for 9am. But since they've just changed that plane to a B787, I've paid for the business class seats... I was considering hedging bets on being on an earlier flight with the flexi fare.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by plunet
In case you have not scrolled back far enough in this thread, if booking Air NZ use the airNewZealand.co.nz and not the .com or other country sites. The prices on the domestic site were considerably cheaper. I thought I was going to end up booking JetStar but once I realised the pricing for NZ was cheaper on their domestic site it was miles cheaper than JetStar.
Thanks that was a great tip. I did see that the other day, but had forgotten! That is showing as much cheaper, still more expensive than the base price of £21 for a Wellington flight with Jetstar, but looks like the flexifare is possibly a better option, especially when I add in the cost of luggage onto the Jetstar flight! The challenge now is we have not decided our itinerary and I am not sure if we want to fly to Wellington or Christchurch when we arrive but think I need to make a decision and book soon! Thanks for all the advice!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: NZ *G
Don’t book Jetstar

Hi

As an NZer, I recommend avoiding Jetstar. There are plenty of bad news stories about service and flight cancellations. Air NZ is streets ahead.

A four hour connection is very generous. I would personally be relaxed about anything over 2 hours at that time of day.

Enjoy your visit

Last edited by gratn; Apr 1, 2018 at 1:47 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:42 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I had forgotten about using .co.nz instead of .com and that does indeed make a difference! I think I will go with the flexi ticket from Air NZ! (I thought I had posted a reply yesterday but seems not to have posted. Probably a basic newbie user error!)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I noticed there's a reasonable amount of seat blocking on the QR AKL-DOH flight. Can the plane actually fly fully loaded or does it have to fly slightly under capacity for fuel?

Also notice some people choosing middle seats, probably hoping no one chooses to sit next to them. Seat psychology for sure. I'm not personally sure about that approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.