Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
New Zealand Herald Article
A year since Qatar Airways started flying the longest route in the world between Auckland and Doha, airline chief Akbar Al Baker says the route is doing well and will be boosted next year with luxury Qsuites in business class.
The new Boeing 777X-8 is also likely to be used on the route, but not until next decade.
Al Baker told the Herald he was ''pleasantly surprised'' by the Auckland route.
''We wouldn't be flying just for the sake of flying, we need to make money.''

The Qsuite, which is similar to some luxury suites in other airline's first class cabins, was being retrofitted into all the airline's Boeing 777s.

''Unfortunately it will take another year before you're able to try the Qsuite on the New Zealand flight,'' he said.

Qatar uses a Boeing 777-200LR on the 14,525km journey, which can take more than 17 hours. The 777X-8 will not be available until early next decade, but can seat up to 375 passengers with a range capability of 16,110km.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ*E, MPO, QR
At best QR will start receiving their ten 777-8 late 2022. So another 4 years of the 77L on the Auckland route.

In that time 7 of the 8 to go will received their Qsuite refit. At the present rate of refit of the 777 fleet ( 2 existing a/c + 11 new 77W) it will be another 29 months to finish them all i.e. end of 2020.

Optimistically we will see the 77L Qsuite (QR code :77K, look for it) consistently on the Auckland route next year. Realistically more like 2020 .
To Eat.To Drink likes this.

Last edited by wairakei15; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:31 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:31 pm

So I guess we need to be looking at Emirates.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
My wife and I flew to AKL earlier this week. Had booked seat in row 2 but at some point changed to row 7 - very noisy as right over wing and Y with bassinets right behind us. Hopefully bookings for return won't change. At 6'2" really didn't find the seat/bed comfortable for such a long flight. Crew were very average in complete contrast to our crew MAN-DOH who were wonderful.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just completed MAN-DOH-AKL

Row 4A/B on the long haul. What a fantastic flight - so comfy and great service throughout - two decent sleeps and no shortage of food and fizz
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
Did the same route there and back at the start of the month, have to say that in J time seemed to fly on the way back. Got completely overstuffed with food on the way out (I'd eaten in Doha courtesy of a friend of a friend who lived locally and nibbled on the lounge - only for the CC to heat up the wrong main for myself which would be rude not to eat, and they heated up my requested main as well... Diet required! )

Food menus were varied through the 4 flight, getting drinks was no problem at all once I remembered to press the call button. Cabin crew were very proactive and worried my partner wasn't eating or drinking much - they fussed over him a bit! They made the seat into a bed for me on the way to AKL but it's not exactly hard so I just faffed about and sorted it on the way back. I'm afraid I wasn't a very good business flyer, kept worrying I'd be imposing and when they first asked when I wanted to eat my reply was "whenever it is best for you?" which was not particularly helpful to them in hindsight. I also went straight to the web checking/bag drop desk instead of the business counter at MAN which led the poor check in agent to complain she didn't have any of the tags for business class... You could tell I was a complete newbie at this "forward cabin" thing. When I thought about going to grab a packet of biscuits to keep me going on the train back home they had been cleared away from the bar area of the 787 in preparation for landing. A CC member noticed and asked if I needed anything, after I explained it he went to get me what I thought would be a packet of biscuits - turns out he came back with an armful of assorted snacks for me to take away. Can't imagine that happening anywhere else for some reason!

Didn't get a look at the economy section on any of the flights but business was almost full if not entirely full (3 seats were empty in the forward cabin DOH-AKL, none on the return and the MAN-DOH and DOH-MAN were full). The Al Mourjan lounge was fairly full both times we were there but I got a shower on the way out without any wait whilst my partner had to wait about 20 mins for his and we found plenty of seating in all areas both times. Short connection (2 hours ish?) coupled with my partner having to retrieve something from lost and found meant I didn't have a shower on the way back.

As far as introductions to a premium cabin go, I don't think it could have gone any better. I've been thoroughly spoiled and the only thing keeping me from booking everything in J from now on (apart from money - that would mean a 60 hour week for many many many weeks which is not a pleasant prospect!) is knowing that a lot of J is nowhere near this good from the reports on this forum. It was an amazing experience.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by yrin
Did the same route there and back at the start of the month, have to say that in J time seemed to fly on the way back. Got completely overstuffed with food on the way out (I'd eaten in Doha courtesy of a friend of a friend who lived locally and nibbled on the lounge - only for the CC to heat up the wrong main for myself which would be rude not to eat, and they heated up my requested main as well... Diet required! )

Food menus were varied through the 4 flight, getting drinks was no problem at all once I remembered to press the call button. Cabin crew were very proactive and worried my partner wasn't eating or drinking much - they fussed over him a bit! They made the seat into a bed for me on the way to AKL but it's not exactly hard so I just faffed about and sorted it on the way back. I'm afraid I wasn't a very good business flyer, kept worrying I'd be imposing and when they first asked when I wanted to eat my reply was "whenever it is best for you?" which was not particularly helpful to them in hindsight. I also went straight to the web checking/bag drop desk instead of the business counter at MAN which led the poor check in agent to complain she didn't have any of the tags for business class... You could tell I was a complete newbie at this "forward cabin" thing. When I thought about going to grab a packet of biscuits to keep me going on the train back home they had been cleared away from the bar area of the 787 in preparation for landing. A CC member noticed and asked if I needed anything, after I explained it he went to get me what I thought would be a packet of biscuits - turns out he came back with an armful of assorted snacks for me to take away. Can't imagine that happening anywhere else for some reason!

Didn't get a look at the economy section on any of the flights but business was almost full if not entirely full (3 seats were empty in the forward cabin DOH-AKL, none on the return and the MAN-DOH and DOH-MAN were full). The Al Mourjan lounge was fairly full both times we were there but I got a shower on the way out without any wait whilst my partner had to wait about 20 mins for his and we found plenty of seating in all areas both times. Short connection (2 hours ish?) coupled with my partner having to retrieve something from lost and found meant I didn't have a shower on the way back.

As far as introductions to a premium cabin go, I don't think it could have gone any better. I've been thoroughly spoiled and the only thing keeping me from booking everything in J from now on (apart from money - that would mean a 60 hour week for many many many weeks which is not a pleasant prospect!) is knowing that a lot of J is nowhere near this good from the reports on this forum. It was an amazing experience.
So glad you had such a great time. Were you lucky enough to bag one of the amazing J class fares from Man to Akl?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
So glad you had such a great time. Were you lucky enough to bag one of the amazing J class fares from Man to Akl?
Yup, think I got some of the very last ones going - would have liked to go a bit later in the year but early September was all that was available at the time and I don't regret it at all. Will have to return one day, so lets see if Qatar decides to do another flash sale in the next couple of years...
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Yup, think I got some of the very last ones going - would have liked to go a bit later in the year but early September was all that was available at the time and I don't regret it at all. Will have to return one day, so lets see if Qatar decides to do another flash sale in the next couple of years...
ah good for you. I nearly booked them but hesitated too long. Glad you enjoyed. Stunning country. made all the nicer by travelling there and back in luxury.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
..J is nowhere near this good from the reports on this forum. It was an amazing experience.
J is pretty dependably good. Cabin crew really try hard - they have their set performance rituals but overlay these with charm and a willingness to please.

QR lets itself down in other ways, on board service (in Y and J) really isn't one of its failings. Some reports here get involved in the odd minutiae: someone was complaining about engine noise in the second J cabin, and encroaching noise from economy class......
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
J is pretty dependably good. Cabin crew really try hard - they have their set performance rituals but overlay these with charm and a willingness to please.

QR lets itself down in other ways, on board service (in Y and J) really isn't one of its failings. Some reports here get involved in the odd minutiae: someone was complaining about engine noise in the second J cabin, and encroaching noise from economy class......
Oh I can't even pretend to know really, I have only ever flown J for this trip - I was just basing it off of reports I've read here, though I agree some of the complaints are a little too much. Still if I was paying northwards of 5k return I might get a little nit-picky as well. Reading about cabin crew assigned to business having to work in economy after business service concludes (reported on BA) tells me that airline doesn't care much about passenger comfort and certainly doesn't make it look like they care about decent work load for their CC - but I haven't experienced it myself, maybe it makes perfect sense given the particularities of a given flight.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
So just got back from AKL. Fare booked in March so managed so get the bargain fare. Still don't like the 777 on the AKL-DOH route as I find the seat uncomfortable and the air dry. Crew(s) were very good but my wife and I didn't eat or drink much which seemed to confuse them

787 on DOH-MAN was much more comfortable and quiet. We didn't want to eat or drink very much once again as we wanted to arrive home in a reasonable state and also had the MAN-LHR flight to do. The crew were very friendly and the CSD came and chatted to us a few times during the flight.

Lots of youngish Qatari's on board. I surmised they might be off to Uni. A quick Google showed that UK Uni's are very popular with students from Qatar. Unfortunately their attention to safety was non-existent. The two females next to me never used their seat belts for the entire flight and happily continued phone calls while we took off from DOH. Even more surprising that even after the crew seating announcement as we came into MAN a couple of lads decided to amble back to the toilets to change out of their PJ's. Crew seemed to have no control over them - a cultural thing I guess?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just came back from AKL with QR. LF on the outbound was not too bad in J, about 70% LF. Anyway, for the first time I was dissapointed with the catering from the AKL station. I had the Chicken Kabsha (hope I spelled this right) and it was like they accidentally threw in the whole packet of salt. I had the same dish out from DOH and it was fine.
Other than that it was an OK flight with a on time (even earlier) and arrival into DOH after a 17h34m long flight.

Cheers!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:48 am

Flew back from AKL on Monday. Got to say that the seatbeds were nowhere near as comfy as the dreamliner or 787 id gone out on ( flew ARN-DOH-CNS the AKL-DOH-ARN but the crew were excellent and couldnt do enough for you, Oh and OH had the chicken kabsah which was fine although not as good as mine had been from DOhaHopefully if I go again then the planes may have got Q Suites by then Was pleased with my £1350 fare though

Last edited by sam lewis71; Oct 10, 2018 at 12:50 am Reason: added comment
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sam lewis71
Flew back from AKL on Monday. Got to say that the seatbeds were nowhere near as comfy as the dreamliner or 787 id gone out on ( flew ARN-DOH-CNS the AKL-DOH-ARN but the crew were excellent and couldnt do enough for you, Oh and OH had the chicken kabsah which was fine although not as good as mine had been from DOhaHopefully if I go again then the planes may have got Q Suites by then Was pleased with my £1350 fare though
Funny how different opinions are ! On my MAN-DOH-AKL last month, I had a great comfy sleep (well several in fact!) on the 777 - I didn't actually like the 787 seat too much, and found it cramped in sleep mode
honzeek_cz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.