Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by florens
Does anyone know whether there is an arrival lounge at AKL that J pax can use?
no arrival lounges at AKL for any airline

given the number of longhaul flights arriving early in the morning (4-7am) it could do with one

if flying onward domestic on Air NZ their domestic lounge includes showers (although these are in high demand early morning)
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:48 am

Hi guys, how long did it take to clear immigration and customs etc. in AKL?
I am leaving for AKL in November on QR920 (STA 05.00) and need to be in the city center by 07.45 at latest (very important). I know it is pretty tight, so I have booked a Blacklane car for 06.00 to be on the safe side as they include a 1 hour wait. Does it sound realistic?

BR. Flyer8000
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyer8000
Hi guys, how long did it take to clear immigration and customs etc. in AKL?
I am leaving for AKL in November on QR920 (STA 05.00) and need to be in the city center by 07.45 at latest (very important). I know it is pretty tight, so I have booked a Blacklane car for 06.00 to be on the safe side as they include a 1 hour wait. Does it sound realistic?

BR. Flyer8000
Depends. If you are eligible to use the SmartGate (have a biometric passport from AU/NZ/US/CA/UK) and have nothing to declare at customs, then you could be curbside within 30 minutes or so.

If you have checked bags, something to declare or a non-biometric passport, then it could take an hour. There are a lot of international arrivals early in the morning, so I'd expect potentially long lines at customs.

That said, the drive to the CBD is roughly 45 minutes (possibly a bit longer at rush hour). Getting there by 07:45 is doable, but dependent on a number of factors potentially beyond your control.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:22 am

Thank you for your answer I am a EU citizen, so unfortunately I will not be able to use the smartgates :/, however 1 hour should be ok. I am crossing my fingers for no major delays. Luckily i am in J, so I can get off the plane quickly and for run for immigrations!

Originally Posted by swingaling
Depends. If you are eligible to use the SmartGate (have a biometric passport from AU/NZ/US/CA/UK) and have nothing to declare at customs, then you could be curbside within 30 minutes or so.

If you have checked bags, something to declare or a non-biometric passport, then it could take an hour. There are a lot of international arrivals early in the morning, so I'd expect potentially long lines at customs.

That said, the drive to the CBD is roughly 45 minutes (possibly a bit longer at rush hour). Getting there by 07:45 is doable, but dependent on a number of factors potentially beyond your control.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I've just been on my first ever flight with QR, OSL-DOH-AKL in J. Oh my goodness... This has to be by a country mile the best experience I have ever had on a plane, it was absolutely amazing! Having previously done Club World before, this was light years better. I'll enjoy the journey back, that's for sure!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
I've just been on my first ever flight with QR, OSL-DOH-AKL in J. Oh my goodness... This has to be by a country mile the best experience I have ever had on a plane, it was absolutely amazing! Having previously done Club World before, this was light years better. I'll enjoy the journey back, that's for sure!
Don't forget to update your user info to "BAEC Silver" when you get back!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:13 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thought it was better than Emirates J as well
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

haha, we must have been on the same flight then I actually liked service on my CPH-DOH slightly better, but it was stellar on DOH-AKL anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Firipu
Don't forget to update your user info to "BAEC Silver" when you get back!
I made silver last year. I quite like keeping the bronze tag, keeps that air of mystery
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by klausa
haha, we must have been on the same flight then I actually liked service on my CPH-DOH slightly better, but it was stellar on DOH-AKL anyway.
We started the epic journey last Friday. Everything was absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much hassle on either leg and they really pampered us. What was night and day for us compared to BA was the food. Both being vegetarians, you play food roulette with BA, do you hope they've got the pasta available, or do you put down lacto ovo vegetarian and get presented with bland chickpeas. The food offerings we got, wow. Just wow.
Jetstreamer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
We started the epic journey last Friday. Everything was absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much hassle on either leg and they really pampered us. What was night and day for us compared to BA was the food. Both being vegetarians, you play food roulette with BA, do you hope they've got the pasta available, or do you put down lacto ovo vegetarian and get presented with bland chickpeas. The food offerings we got, wow. Just wow.
Think I was on the same flight. Agree on the food, it was excellent. Was disappointed by the seats though. MAN-AKL (A330) the cubby hole to fit your feet only worked turned one way and I expected the 772 to turn into a fully flat bed. Was flat at an angle rather than fully going flat to the seat in front (preferred it to the A330 though). I slept ok ish, but the seat reminded me of the Air Asia X seat! In some ways I prefer the BA Club seat in that it's fully flat.

I was also surprised at the number of people having dinner straight away and sleeping, rather than staying awake to NZ time. That's what Mrs Toothy and I did and it worked with pretty much no jet lag. Was just a bit frustrating that when we were trying to sleep others were having food. Proper first world problems!!

T
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Views from the plane

I realise that the flightpath can vary, slightly or significantly, on any given day but looking at the Great Circle Mapper it appears that this route (i.e, DOH-AKL) passes near to Uluru (Ayers Rock). For those of you who have taken this flight: were you able to see it?

Any other notable landmarks visible from the air?

TIA.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: EXPLT
Originally Posted by henry999
I realise that the flightpath can vary, slightly or significantly, on any given day but looking at the Great Circle Mapper it appears that this route (i.e, DOH-AKL) passes near to Uluru (Ayers Rock). For those of you who have taken this flight: were you able to see it?

Any other notable landmarks visible from the air?

TIA.
i can tell u about my experience here

i will also say that inbound to AKL over Australia ..at least in the winter months will be all dark . Westbound ex AKL will be sunset-ish over Tasman Sea and most of east Australia
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by b74l

i can tell u about my experience here

" ... flew south of most part of India and coasted in over Port Hedland/Exmouth ... and exited over SYD."

i will also say that inbound to AKL over Australia ..at least in the winter months will be all dark.
Thanks a lot. We will be going in the middle of summer (29 Dec) and in playing around with the nice HourWorld program it looks to me like it will get light somewhere around Kerala / Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka and dark again near Alice Springs. A flightpath from Port Hedland to Sydney would be pretty close to Uluru, so that's encouraging.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by henry999
Thanks a lot. We will be going in the middle of summer (29 Dec) and in playing around with the nice HourWorld program it looks to me like it will get light somewhere around Kerala / Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka and dark again near Alice Springs. A flightpath from Port Hedland to Sydney would be pretty close to Uluru, so that's encouraging.
I flew this route a couple of months ago, and from memory, the flight passed way south of Uluru, almost over Adelaide and Melbourne. Depends on where the good winds are blowing, so it may be a little difficult to predict unless you are a professional flight planner and aeronautical meteorologist.

And it was very dark over Aussie and NZ, as it would be with the flight arriving into AKL at 5:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.