Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Please post your experiences related to QR's longest route, between DOH-AKL-DOH.

​​​​​​​M
Print Wikipost

The AKL Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Those with more insight might have a better answer, but I think it is two reasons: a) to reserve seats for travellers with infants and b) to reserve seats for HVP.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
What's the reason to block these seats? On the way here from DOH, these seats were occupied.
nldogbert the front row of almost every aircraft cabin is where bassinets are situated. The entire row is reserved for this use of passengers with babies until such time as they are not required for that purpose. The usual time is when airport check-in opens. On occasion earlier very rarely later or not at all.

That is the main reason for entire rows being blocked. There are several other reasons for individual seats being blocked.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
What's the reason to block these seats? On the way here from DOH, these seats were occupied.
As above, plus unaccompanied minors.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by remdk
FlightDetective Expertflyer differentiates between reserved seats and those under airline control (blocked)in its seat alert system.
Well that is an interesting piece of information! Thanks for that. I need to get into Expertflyer I think!

Originally Posted by intuition
No. 1AB and row 5 is blocked.
Blocking bulkhead seats is QR SOP.
Thanks very much for taking the time to check that and for letting me know. I had a feeling this was the case on this particular flight.

On my DOH-AKL, the seat next to me was blocked and I was hoping it would be the same on this one. Not to be, it seems.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Well that is an interesting piece of information! Thanks for that. I need to get into Expertflyer I think!

Thanks very much for taking the time to check that and for letting me know. I had a feeling this was the case on this particular flight.

On my DOH-AKL, the seat next to me was blocked and I was hoping it would be the same on this one. Not to be, it seems.
FlightDetective If you look at the seat map in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28198762-post179.html you will see that there are only three available seats in J just a week before departure.

With regard to seat blocking have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-emeralds.html or one of the many other threads which discuss that feature.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
A whole cart of bubbly? I wish I was on that flight! Haha! How can you miss a whole cart of booze? Seriously. How funny!
I think her description of a whole cart was rather stretching it - we ran out of that too two hours in, but was better than nothing at all! :-)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by remdk
FlightDetective If you look at the seat map in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28198762-post179.html you will see that there are only three available seats in J just a week before departure.

With regard to seat blocking have a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-emeralds.html or one of the many other threads which discuss that feature.
Yes, I saw the seat map provided. It's why I was asking. At the gate for DOH-AKL I asked if the seat next to me was free and was told it was not. Turns out it was blocked. So, I was wondering if the seat beside me was taken or blocked for the seat on my return. From the seat map provided, I can see it's taken.

I am aware of the blocking for Emerald's which is why I was checking - I was hoping it was. It's a great feature that this is done where possible, I must say.

Originally Posted by kath2049
I think her description of a whole cart was rather stretching it - we ran out of that too two hours in, but was better than nothing at all! :-)
Haha! Yes, I agree - much better than nothing at all!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kath2049
No brut champagne on my flight back from AKL-DOH today at all, and only 3 bottles of rose.. that's not going to last long into the 17 hours 🤔

Edit: after the chap next to me spent 10mins complaining to the steward, they've magically found a whole cart(!) of bubbly, but have now run out of small/medium PJ's. I can cope with that!
I was that chap! Hope that you enjoyed the Billecart Kath!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by travellingscotsman
I was that chap! Hope that you enjoyed the Billecart Kath!
😁 certainly!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:15 pm

Sala VIP Lounge at PSA

Meanwhile, for those people who are still yet to go to AKL and are wondering what the lounge is like in PSA, I've put up a review including pictures of everything.

You can click here to see the review.

There's not a lot to -say- about the lounge. The pictures tell the story. It's fine enough to spend some time in.

Hope this helps those wondering about it!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Booked onto this flight in early June. First time in NZ and will be quite an experience spending that long on the plane.

What are the queues like at Immigration at that time of morning? Do they have a fast track arrivals for premium pax?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Booked onto this flight in early June. First time in NZ and will be quite an experience spending that long on the plane.

What are the queues like at Immigration at that time of morning? Do they have a fast track arrivals for premium pax?
If you have a UK passport, you can use the immigration machines for entry into NZ, which takes about 18 seconds! Just make sure to look into the camera and not wear glasses...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
If you have a UK passport, you can use the immigration machines for entry into NZ, which takes about 18 seconds! Just make sure to look into the camera and not wear glasses...

Awesome! don't need to enrolled like GE or similar?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
No, just use on arrival.
http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

The NZ "smartgates" are quite limited and only accepts e-passports from New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom, United States of America and Canada. The Australian version is much better as it accepts a very broad range of passports.

The lines at manual immigrations inspection is not very long at this early hour anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere

The greatest queues are after passport control when you have to be inspected for NZ's strict bio-security controls. Do not make the mistake we did last week in using the loos in baggage collection. The queues were significant and somewhat chaotic when we finally reached them.

Nz is spectacular, even in cyclones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.