Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

my flights in October
Post # 558?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Post # 558?
Still not going, but I'm still subscribed to flight updates - and QR are being understandably steadfast in not allowing me to cancel...hardly surprising as the ticket was non-changeable/non-refundable.

M
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by justatourist
I remember reading about a user doing a self-made tour of Doha by night. Can't find it now though...
That would be me...
DIY Night tour of Doha
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by armouredant
Having just spent 6 hours in the Al Mourjan lounge overnight yesterday, I'm in no hurry to do the same again. If you have the energy, take advantage of whatever QR offers are going to get you into the city, if only for a change of scenery. Alternatively, use the opportunity (and the sleep pods, screaming kids below permitting) to get yourself on Tokyo time ahead of your arrival.
DOH-HND is a day flight and arrives at 22:40 local time in Tokyo... my plan was to sleep through (as much as I can) and then explore Tokyo at night a little bit. We're there for around 50 hours only.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IMO six hours might be a bit light. By the time you get out of the airport, then have to be back to go through security and immigration, add in transportation time.... Wouldn't be worth it from my perspective.
Right... so will have to stick to trying out all the facilities the lounge as on offer
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by megaloman
Right... so will have to stick to trying out all the facilities the lounge as on offer
Don't forget shopping!! There's plenty at HIA.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Is a 6 hour layover enough time to go and see Doha by night? is it worth doing?
6 hours overnight is a bit tricky. It's IMO too long for the lounge and too short to do anything meaningful outside the airport (be it a night tour or grabbing a couple zzzzz's in a hotel).

I headed straight for the showers and helped myself to a couch to rest a little. Managed to sleep 1-2 hours. After that a light bite, a drink and a little duty free shopping.

DOH-HND is a day flight and arrives at 22:40 local time in Tokyo... my plan was to sleep through (as much as I can) and then explore Tokyo at night a little bit. We're there for around 50 hours only.
If you want to adjust to Tokyo time, I'd probably sleep a little in the lounge and stay awake during the flight. You'll arrive tired late at night. IMO perfect.

BTW I'm not sure that you'll be able to do much exploring. Lots of things shut down for the night. In some places, closing time is fairly early. Most trains will not run. You might even risk missing the last train into Tokyo.

Our flight (initially scheduled to arrive 22:40 in HND) was rescheduled to arrive at 23:30. The flight itself was delayed: We flew two circles in the middle of nowhere and had to reroute around massive thunderstorms over Beijing). We touched down around 10 to midnight. First ones of the flight were out (without checked bags) around quarter past midnight, long past the last train into Tokyo.

Discovering Tokyo by night is certainly not impossible, but it does require to use taxis or ubers.
Calchas likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
6 hours overnight is a bit tricky. It's IMO too long for the lounge and too short to do anything meaningful outside the airport (be it a night tour or grabbing a couple zzzzz's in a hotel).

I headed straight for the showers and helped myself to a couch to rest a little. Managed to sleep 1-2 hours. After that a light bite, a drink and a little duty free shopping.
Never had longer connection at DOH than a couple of hours so usually didn't bother checking the shopping aspect of the airport - thanks for the tip! Will definitely try that when we get bored in the lounge ;-)

If you want to adjust to Tokyo time, I'd probably sleep a little in the lounge and stay awake during the flight. You'll arrive tired late at night. IMO perfect.

BTW I'm not sure that you'll be able to do much exploring. Lots of things shut down for the night. In some places, closing time is fairly early. Most trains will not run. You might even risk missing the last train into Tokyo.

Our flight (initially scheduled to arrive 22:40 in HND) was rescheduled to arrive at 23:30. The flight itself was delayed: We flew two circles in the middle of nowhere and had to reroute around massive thunderstorms over Beijing). We touched down around 10 to midnight. First ones of the flight were out (without checked bags) around quarter past midnight, long past the last train into Tokyo.

Discovering Tokyo by night is certainly not impossible, but it does require to use taxis or ubers.
Ok, that changes my thinking a bit. We've booked a hotel next to the airport which I was thinking to cancel and get something in the city... but now I am inclined to stay where we are (first night at the airport). Really appreciate your first hand experience! ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Ok, that changes my thinking a bit. We've booked a hotel next to the airport which I was thinking to cancel and get something in the city... but now I am inclined to stay where we are (first night at the airport). Really appreciate your first hand experience! ^
I used the Royal Park Haneda as I didn't think that I could still get the last train into Tokyo with a scheduled arrival at 11:30 pm. We did land 20 minutes late, taxied for 15 minutes and I was out of the baggage claim area (first in the immigration line and first bags of the belt and) around 12:30 am.

In retrospect it was the best choice. Had a good night's rest and was well rested to catch my domestic connection.
phoneticduck likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:58 pm

I used the Royal Park Haneda as I didn't think that I could still get the last train into Tokyo with a scheduled arrival at 11:30 pm. We did land 20 minutes late, taxied for 15 minutes and I was out of the baggage claim area (first in the immigration line and first bags of the belt and) around 12:30 am.

In retrospect it was the best choice. Had a good night's rest and was well rested to catch my domestic connection.
That's what we've got booked already (with a free cancellation), so we'll stay there ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO six hours might be a bit light. By the time you get out of the airport, then have to be back to go through security and immigration, add in transportation time.... Wouldn't be worth it from my perspective.
On the other hand, six hours is a very long time to spend in the airport
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
On the other hand, six hours is a very long time to spend in the airport
watching a couple of episodes of a tv series with a partner could lose a few hours. a nice meal could take half an hour. i don't know what to do with the other three hours. i like long showers...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Don't forget the quiet rooms behind the deli at the far end of Al Mourjan.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Don't forget the quiet rooms behind the deli at the far end of Al Mourjan.
Wish I'd known about these earlier!

Such an odd lounge - but these little cubicles / rooms would be a fine place to spend a few hours.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: BA silver
Ahh well, just like msm2000uk my flight was just changed by 10 mins on the inbound. That gives me 75 mins to make the connection, providing QR allow me to interline with such a short gap...
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by vonlance
Ahh well, just like msm2000uk my flight was just changed by 10 mins on the inbound. That gives me 75 mins to make the connection, providing QR allow me to interline with such a short gap...
Interline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.