Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mt. Kilamajaro from the air.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Mt. Kilamajaro from the air.

Flying DOH-JNB on 18 May on QR 1367. Flight tracking has the routing off the African coast near Mobassa (174 mi., 280 km) usually, but I have seen some routings inland.

Has any veterans of this route seen the mountain in the distance?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
I am a veteran of this route but always catch the overnight flights (so pitch black outside/am fast asleep at that stage of the flight). I have seen Mount Kenya many times on flights to and from Nairobi.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: QR Plat
I do both DOH-NBO and DOH-(ZNZ)-JRO and getting a glimpse is hard as it is often shrouded in cloud.

But once in a blue moon you do get lucky:

-A
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, EK Silver
Stunning photo ph-ndr!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Wow! Always enjoy flying on clear days over mountain ranges, even from 35K one can get some spectacular views like ph-ndr's. Flying along the US/Canada west coast can produce similar images. The last half hour flying into YVR from the east brings you down over the Coastal/Cascade range and flying a Q400 between SEA and PDX presents wow-some sightings of Mts Hood, Olympia, St. Helen's (active volcano in past 30-years). Flying over southern Europe (France, Italy, Austria) often gives good views of the Alps, but most flights over Afghanistan, Pakistan, India tend to be at night so on a clear night the only thing to be seen are the lit up demarcations lines between the latter two countries, which is itself an interesting phenomenon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.