Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Short connections at DOH (under 90 minutes)

Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk

Preparation is the key to having a comfortable short transfer at DOH. There should be no need to rush but you do need to be aware of where you are going.

Preparation:
Before you travel make sure that you have a reliable map of the airport such as doh-airport This map in spite of a number of errors is the best overall map of the departure areas available. The map has two gates B7, two gates C5 and the D and E gates are not numbered. Bus gates are not shown either.
The bus gates are located one floor down as follows: C20-C29 just by Gate C10, D20-24 and E20-24 are situated at the confluence of the C, D and E wings at the North node.
You should ask for "Rapid Transfer Tag"s for your luggage at Check-In.
Shortly before landing the aircraft's IFE usually displays a list of connecting flights with gate numbers so that you can find your departure gate. If it is not shown ask the cabin crew.

Recently I had a 65 minute transfer from gate B10 to gate C12 with security checks. I even managed 25 minutes in the lounge because I was well prepared!

If your flight is late arriving and your transfer time falls to under 45 minutes then QR staff will usually meet you at the gate and guide you to your connecting flight.

Follow the Arrival at DOH. (Disembarking) guide until you enter the departure area.

Check to see you know where you are and how to get to your departure gate.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Have a connection through DOH next week, first time on QR for years and through the new airport. Flying Y, OWS, arriving from NBO so imagine that I'll have to reclear security. With a 70 minute transit time (0635-0745) do I have any chance of a shower? And can anyone point me towards a terminal map - the link in the wiki/OP is now broken....
Thanks
70 could be enough time depending on how far apart your connecting flight will be, if your connecting flight will park at a jetbrige, if its delayed etc. etc. I've managed to get a drink and snack in the Al Mourjan lounge on a 60 min connection. But it's all about the transit security.

Hamad does not have any free showers as fair as I know, but there are several commercial alternatives available on top of the lounges.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
delete

Last edited by englisha; Feb 7, 2020 at 12:59 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Hello all. First time flying with Qatar in Biz, PHL-DOH-DPS. Recently learned of itinerary changes leaving me with 30 minutes to connect in DOH. I've never had to maneuver my way around DOH, any idea how possible (and what I really mean is probable) this task might be? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by notmypetunia
Hello all. First time flying with Qatar in Biz, PHL-DOH-DPS. Recently learned of itinerary changes leaving me with 30 minutes to connect in DOH. I've never had to maneuver my way around DOH, any idea how possible (and what I really mean is probable) this task might be? Thanks in advance for your insight.
I think that I have read that the minimum connection time at DOH is 45 minutes which would mean that you no longer have a 'legal' connection. People end up with less than 45 minute connections due to late incoming flights but that is different than your situation. If I were you I'd give Qatar Airways a call to discuss this as you may need to change your flights.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
Absolutely correct...since the DOH-DPS flight moved up, I was left with an illegal connection of 30 minutes. I had held out in addressing it in hopes that there would be yet another schedule change, but then the airline phoned me so I figured I'd better. Unfortunately, my options were limited: cancel, stay over in Doha, or originate at JFK (with the return staying the same back into PHL). I chose leaving out of JFK (instead of PHL) with a 50 minute connection. A bit annoying since I paid more to fly out of PHL (much closer) in the first place. If I wanted to fly out of JFK and pay significantly less I would have opted for that from the start. Oh well. At least I'm not leaving my friend stranded by herself. And that's hoping we get to go at all considering this pandemic climate. Oof.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Did a QR260 / QR 818 connection with 75minutes connection time. Still was able to get into the lounge for a quick bite before heading to gate.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
What is the minimum connection time at DOH right now?

There's an IAH-DOH-SAW flight in business that I'm looking at, connection is 55 minutes (5:20pm to 6:15pm), for November travel. I'd assume if things are tight they might have someone meet me at the first flight and help me to the next.

For some reason, they have more flights (and less expensive) to SAW than IST. Yea it is only an A320, but for a shorter flight I'm sure it is fine.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by aztimm
What is the minimum connection time at DOH right now?

There's an IAH-DOH-SAW flight in business that I'm looking at, connection is 55 minutes (5:20pm to 6:15pm), for November travel. I'd assume if things are tight they might have someone meet me at the first flight and help me to the next.

For some reason, they have more flights (and less expensive) to SAW than IST. Yea it is only an A320, but for a shorter flight I'm sure it is fine.
Doha was built for transit, even though operationally they do throw up unnecessary obstacles. But MCT always was and is still 45mins as far as I know.

Be aware that the Qatar schedule 'randomiser' has not really got its teeth into the Winter timetable yet, dishing out lucky dip schedule changes, so expect some timing changes for November flights, although I can't tell you whether any changes would be in your favour or not, Qatar are quite flexible especially for any change >2hrs which they consider to be in invol change.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
My September DOH connection has dropped to 40 minutes following a schedule change. I presume it won't be possible to take a journey below MCT and I'll have to reschedule. FWIW I'm in J.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I've just been notified of a schedule change, resulting in my transit in DOH reducing to 80 minutes (when I booked it was almost 3 hours).

I was hoping to have a shower in the lounge before my long onward journey to Australia, is this out of the question now?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I was hoping to have a shower in the lounge before my long onward journey to Australia, is this out of the question now?
I'd say so. You'll be lucky to make the connection at all... (based on my experience).
Old Nov 5, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
80 min is a scheduled connection time. If you have indeed 80 min, that is plenty of time.
Stop by the shower area. This is usually a weak point with QR as they don't have enough showers. But if it is not a busy time and you plead with the attendant, you should be able to get one. Then even time for the lounge. I
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by brunos
80 min is a scheduled connection time. If you have indeed 80 min, that is plenty of time.
Stop by the shower area. This is usually a weak point with QR as they don't have enough showers. But if it is not a busy time and you plead with the attendant, you should be able to get one. Then even time for the lounge. I
Thanks, will try my luck. I'm still confused which lounge I should go to, there seem to be a few options for OW Emerald in Business. I guess whichever is closest to the gate or on the way.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Thanks, will try my luck. I'm still confused which lounge I should go to, there seem to be a few options for OW Emerald in Business. I guess whichever is closest to the gate or on the way.
Some tips for you.
  • The main thing that will influence your transit are your arrival gate.
  • A gate that is A, B or low numbered C has a shorter walk to transit security, higher numbered C gates have a longer walk.
  • An apron gate with a bus can be an overall win if the bus is prompt as you will be arrive into a bus arrivals gate that delivers you almost directly into transit security located vaguely at the intersection of A B and C concourses.
  • If you tip out into the main concourse upon arrival and avoid the transit security screening, this typically mainly applies to direct terminal arrivals rather than apron gate.
  • If you do go through transit security, depending which side of the airport you arrived, look at the lift directly opposite you as you exit the screening area - rather than following the flow of people down the escalator there's a 50% chance this lift is a shortcut to take you directly to Al Mourjan reception one floor up. The other 50% chance is that it's goes to Al Safwa in which case you need to go down...
  • Once you're able find out what your departure gate will be, if it's known yet. If it's a high number C gate consider using the new lounge at the far end of C concourse instead of Al Mourjan.
  • Study a map of the concourse layout so you can orient yourself promptly. Note that maps that refer to D and E gates are probably out of date as reports on here have stated that they have been renumbered as C gates.
  • If your game plan priority is a shower, and you go to the 'old' Al Mourjan, then the general advice on here is to go left on entry and head down the far end to the sandwich bar, and take a right just past the food counter to these showers. Present yourself at the desk with onward boarding pass and say you will wait at the desk to get in asap (collect a drink or snack from the sandwich area if you need it) and be prepared to loiter. You will usually get in promptly if you loiter and maintain eye contact with the member of staff.
  • The new Al Mourjan has opened in the north node and if your journey is soon this might be a better bet for quick shower access as not many people will know about it for a while.
Good luck

Last edited by plunet; Nov 6, 2022 at 12:44 pm
Old Nov 6, 2022, 2:18 pm

Thanks very much for that detailed answer, will search for a map of the airport with gates, transit security and lounges, and will report back in a few weeks if I was successful or not!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.