FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Weird situation [2 boarding passes for the same flight] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1805914-weird-situation-2-boarding-passes-same-flight.html)

mullarkey12 Dec 1, 2016 8:01 am

Weird situation [2 boarding passes for the same flight]

Hi, if this is the wrong section, can someone move it please.

I booked flights to the Philippines next year. The route is lhr-Doha-crk and I will be flying Qatar airways. I decided to fly them as I have plenty of miles that need using up. Unfortunately, the ticket I have got is a promo one an upgrade options won't be available for it. I then found out I had enough miles plus cash to purchase an award ticket for the Doha to crk route which was the upgrade plan for me anyway.

I booked this already and I been told by customer service that my economy class ticket would be invalidated as you will be a no show in Doha. My plan is to fly from London to Doha on the economy leg, once I arrived at Doha (already checked in online, so I have my boarding pass). Use the economy class pass and business class boarding pass to enter the plane to Clark. The reason why I am still using the economy ticket is because if i discard it, my return flight would be invalidated. I then sit at business class and enjoy the experience. As I still scanned through with my economy pass, my luggage would still be fine as I boarded the plane with both passes. A lot of you may find this complicated but for me, it's not that complicated.

Customer service on the phone wouldn't understand what I mean and they think i will discard the economy ticket. I cannot change the ticket to a saver one as it would cost nearly twice the ticket I already purchased. If anything else needs clarifying, please reply below.

Johnnieboy Dec 1, 2016 8:57 am

I think what you are saying is that you want to be checked in for both your economy seat and your business seat on the same flight from DOH-CRK, board using the economy pass but sit in business?

You will only be able to board the aircraft using one of the boarding passes, and to ensure your bag isn't offloaded you would indeed need to use the economy pass.

This means you would technically be a no-show for the other ticket.

I can see why they might not be happy to have you checked in and boarding twice for the same flight, it raises various security and logistical issues. You may thus be relying on the crew on board saying you are fine to sit in the business seat. However, their manifest would list you as a no-show (if at all) and not entitled to sit in business, so I suspect that may not be a good plan. You may well lose your miles and cash paid for the J ticket, and have to travel economy. They are right to say that you need to use your economy ticket to avoid the return being cancelled.

How much was the cash part of the J ticket, more than just paying for the higher economy class ticket?

mullarkey12 Dec 1, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 27551199)
I think what you are saying is that you want to be checked in for both your economy seat and your business seat on the same flight from DOH-CRK, board using the economy pass but sit in business?

You will only be able to board the aircraft using one of the boarding passes, and to ensure your bag isn't offloaded you would indeed need to use the economy pass.

This means you would technically be a no-show for the other ticket.

I can see why they might not be happy to have you checked in and boarding twice for the same flight, it raises various security and logistical issues. You may thus be relying on the crew on board saying you are fine to sit in the business seat. However, their manifest would list you as a no-show (if at all) and not entitled to sit in business, so I suspect that may not be a good plan. You may well lose your miles and cash paid for the J ticket, and have to travel economy. They are right to say that you need to use your economy ticket to avoid the return being cancelled.

How much was the cash part of the J ticket, more than just paying for the higher economy class ticket?

I've cancelled it now and paid 20 quid fee unfortunately. It was going to cost me £380 (called again they said £480 lol) more if I got my travel agent to change the ticket. If I knew this was the case at first,I would have booked the saver ticket in the first place. Anyway thanks for the reply mate.

Johnnieboy Dec 1, 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mullarkey12 (Post 27551458)
I've cancelled it now and paid 20 quid fee unfortunately. It was going to cost me £380 (called again they said £480 lol) more if I got my travel agent to change the ticket. If I knew this was the case at first,I would have booked the saver ticket in the first place. Anyway thanks for the reply mate.

Think of it as 20 quid wiser ;)

d3vski Dec 1, 2016 1:32 pm

I agree, 2 separate bookings for same flight is always recipe for a disaster.

In your case, I can hand heart tell you categorically that:

A) you risk your baggage being offloaded In Doha as you "failed" to board.

B) you would have been faced with blank stares at check in at Clark airport on the return leg!