Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biz for 1/3rd of everyone else??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Biz for 1/3rd of everyone else??

I have a trip to India in a few weeks and Qatar is only 4300 in business while everything else is over $10k. It's one of those 'too good to be true' deals. Am I missing something here? Why such a good deal?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:56 pm

You'll have to help us with a bit more information please. Origin and destination?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_botak
You'll have to help us with a bit more information please. Origin and destination?
ATL-MAA on 11/12 and DEL-ATL on 11/20. Both through Doha. My question was more generic though as I found their pricing to be significantly lower multiple days and multiple destinations. From what I can tell their Business Class Product is pretty good and some others that look sketchy are twice the price. Mayby I should just be happy and not look for the 'catch'.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
QR J is fantastic. I've been on the 777 and 380 and loved both.

As long as the times suit, I would book it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
ATL-MAA on 11/12 and DEL-ATL on 11/20. Both through Doha. My question was more generic though as I found their pricing to be significantly lower multiple days and multiple destinations. From what I can tell their Business Class Product is pretty good and some others that look sketchy are twice the price. Mayby I should just be happy and not look for the 'catch'.
There is no 'catch', their product is more than solid. For me, it's one of the best there is.
Your $4300 is a decent price, but it isn't a steal. I could easily find similar prices with other carriers on other dates. QR is often among the cheaper ones. I guess the 'catch' if you want to put it that way is that they are heavily subsidised (their CEO calls it equity, but I have no idea what the difference between equity and subsidy is for a state run corporation).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Good point on the subsidy. Being an Atlanta resident a do feel a little bad about not supporting the home airline but this booking works really well for my schedule. I was just worried there was something I was missing that would bite me later.

Thanks for the input.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
I got a seat sale CAI-JFK for end of OCT (next week actually) on the a350 for a shade over $1600 in biz. That rate is over $1000 less than I usually pay. Can't get much better than that. There is no catch...Qatar has REALLY good promotions.

As for subsidies for Qatar, well, chat to their airlines stewards/stewardesses and you'll get an earful of their working conditions (hint: they aren't fantastic). On the other hand, labor relations in the Gulf are a constant work in progress. Prices will increase in time, as will working conditions.

Last edited by Canuck2012; Oct 28, 2016 at 5:03 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:24 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Good point on the subsidy. Being an Atlanta resident a do feel a little bad about not supporting the home airline but this booking works really well for my schedule. I was just worried there was something I was missing that would bite me later.

Thanks for the input.
The ATL route is not subsidised as much as one would think - the route is was a personal choice from AAB.

Not wanting to lose his battle with Delta/AA/United, who all moaned about the ME3, he decided to bring the fight to the heart of Delta - ATL.

The loads aren't great hence the low prices, but the product is excellent.

I'd book, relax, and look forward to the QR experience.

Safe travels,

M
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm booked. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My father and I took QR J to Australia because they were about half the price of Qantas. We had a great experience with the service, crew, lounges at DOH, food and almost everything else. I'd definitely book that deal.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The ATL route is not subsidised as much as one would think - the route is was a personal choice from AAB.....

The loads aren't great hence the low prices, but the product is excellent.

I don't see how being another of His Excellency's vanity projects, operating light on passengers with low ticket prices, makes this any less of a drain on Qatar's coffers.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I have a trip to India in a few weeks and Qatar is only 4300 in business while everything else is over $10k. It's one of those 'too good to be true' deals. Am I missing something here? Why such a good deal?
Atlanta to India sounds good to me!

I booked SIN-AUH-LHR on EY for $3700 return in J. I missed the $3000 EY deal and I thought there'd be no more sales between now and Feb 2017. Of course QR has come out with some awesome deals of $3172 or less from other destinations.... I need to watch their patterns closer!

When you see a good deal on these airlines - book first and ask questions later!!!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I ran into a similar fare disparity flying TYO to DXB last January. EK wanted >$9,000 for the nonstop in business, while QR through DOH was $4,000. Took QR and had a great experience, although the non-EK terminal at DXB was a total dump at the time.

For my next two trips to DXB there was no substantial difference between QR and EK fares.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:39 am

ATL along with BOS were identified as potential destinations quite a while back, while QR was partnered with UA and still interlined with DL. First 3 month of operations at ATL have average loads in the mid 80% (Data on ATL's website), granted its summer and tickets prices are cheap but not bad for a destination where QR doesn't have much feed at the US end.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
But ATL is not only DL. This is also a big WN (Southwest, after merging with Airtran) hub and a potential source of low fare feeder traffic (but on separate tickets I guess).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.