Search

B789, B738 & B77W New Order

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Plat

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Today in Washington DC QR's CEO said that the unveiling is delayed to the ITB in Berlin on 8 March 2017.
Boo!
Oh well, I like their A350 and dreamliner biz class just fine.

Perhaps has something to do with this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-qa...-idUSKCN1271QD

"Gulf carrier Qatar Airways ordered $18.6 billion worth of Boeing Co (BA.N) jetliners, a deal that includes firm orders for 40 widebody aircraft and options for 60 narrowbody 737 MAX 8 jets, Boeing and the airline said on Friday."
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black

Believed to be linked to the recently approved sale of F15s to Qatar, a fresh order for passenger aircraft from Beoing include:

30 x 787-9
60 x 737-8 MAX
10 x 77W

http://www.seattletimes.com/business.../boeing-qatar/

Interesting development on the single-aisle front given the problems with delivery of the A320NEO.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Unfortunately these 3 aircrafts are just the worst for Y passengers : 10 abreast on 77W for a 9 abreast designed aircraft, 9 abreast on 787 for a 8 abreast designed aircraft and 737 is not as wide as A320...
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:06 pm

The MAX LOI is not much of a surprise, they have been hinting all along with their frustration regarding the NEO engine fix. Many question marks arise, will they drop the NEO order all together, use both the MAX, and NEO in their fleet, or is the MAX LOI just a bargaining tool they can use against Airbus? Even an LCC option crossess my mind, or maybe some inner/secret Spicejet deal has something to do with this.

Wouldn't be surprised if Airbus offers Qatar the three cancelled NEO's for free now just to stick with them. As in any business it's terrible losing your business to a competitor.

Regarding the F-15's green light to sell to Qatar I wonder if they worked together with the Kuwaitis to get their Super Hornets sale approved by the senate? I wouldn't be surprised if Kuwait Airways places a Boeing order as well in the near future.

Hopefully Doha airport will hurry up with it's expansion to accommodate all these new air frames.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:48 am

Any word on when these will be delivered?

Not good news for Airbus.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Last week Airbus smelt of roses and Boeing smelt of sh*t at Qatar, this week Boeing smell of roses and Airbus sh*t. It is likely to change several more times before any new aircraft are finally delivered.

I agree with Matt4, a Boeing order is bad news for economy passengers on all fronts. It's also difficult to see why you would have the A359 and the 789 in the same fleet.

Still there's no point in trying to make sense of the thinking and there never is.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:00 am

1010101 welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum. Using the dashboard will help you gain access to a huge quantity of interesting and useful information about QR.

The only reference to dates in the official QR press release http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...6_boeing_order is the rather ambiguous "Boeing’s newest family of single-aisle airplanes – 737 MAX 7, 737 MAX 8, 737 MAX 9 and 737 MAX 200 – builds on the Next-Generation 737’s popularity and reliability while delivering customers unsurpassed fuel efficiency in the single-aisle market, with deliveries scheduled to begin in 2017."
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I agree with Matt4, a Boeing order is bad news for economy passengers on all fronts.
Sadly true
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by lhrpete
Last week Airbus smelt of roses and Boeing smelt of sh*t at Qatar, this week Boeing smell of roses and Airbus sh*t. It is likely to change several more times before any new aircraft are finally delivered.

I agree with Matt4, a Boeing order is bad news for economy passengers on all fronts. It's also difficult to see why you would have the A359 and the 789 in the same fleet.

Still there's no point in trying to make sense of the thinking and there never is.
I agree, I even took a 7 hour layover instead of 3 to fly the a350 over the 787 on my Singapore flight the other day. And then I had a window and row of three to myself.
Regarding the 787 purchase, it is really a replacement for the a332/a333. The a350-900 is a direct replacement for the 777-200, I never understood why people keep comparing the a350 and the 787, when the only thing they really share in common is their composite construction (albeit the a350 fuselage is closer in width to the 787 than 777).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
I agree, I even took a 7 hour layover instead of 3 to fly the a350 over the 787 on my Singapore flight the other day.
And I bought my first ever email upgrade offer when my overnight DOH-SIN A350 was swapped to a 787...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by purple1addict
And I bought my first ever email upgrade offer when my overnight DOH-SIN A350 was swapped to a 787...
They must have wanted you to upgrade! Hamad for 7 hours wasn't fun but then there was no point in me arriving earlier in the day in Singapore anyway in this case. Interestingly there were only about 45 economy pax on my flight but J was overbooked. I think QR has a load factor problem right now as only one of my flights in the past year with them has been close to full, whilst several 77W and a380 flights could have been swapped for an a320 such was the loading.

Anyway I digress. I think the new 77W order is probably bargain basement as Boeing desperately need to fill production slots before the 777X starts production. I wish QR would have ordered A330neo instead of the 789 though...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Going back 10 years when the 7E7 and A350 were launched, the Boeing was a replacement for the 767 whilst Airbus were going after the 777.

Think of how many airliners had the 772ERs before the 773ERs came online.

Now looking at Qatars fleet, the A330s are comparable to 767s and therefore the 787 can replace them. The fact that a 787 can fly also long and thin routes works well with new routes or low yield routes.

The A359 has a higher capacity and can fly long missions to the US which will be a direct replacement for the 777s.

In the mean time, whilst QR aims to build critical mass in its operation, all planes can co-exist peacefully.

Even EK had a wide mixture of aircrafts: 767/777/a330/a334s in its early days.

It has now streamlined to A380s/330s/77Ws. In due course, the older 772/3s will be discontinued.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The 787-9's will likely be used to replace the 787-8's that QR already have. The aircraft are too small for QR, and do not offer enough Premium Class seats.

The A330's will obviously go at some point too, but they (like the 777's) are reliable workhorses, and very easy to have repaired quickly.

M
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The 787-9's will likely be used to replace the 787-8's that QR already have. The aircraft are too small for QR, and do not offer enough Premium Class seats.

The A330's will obviously go at some point too, but they (like the 777's) are reliable workhorses, and very easy to have repaired quickly.

M
Replacing brand new state of the art 788's? Zero reason to do such a thing. If you're u feel the reason is due to J class seats, they can simply rearrange to put in more seats rather than throw them away. In addition, with many here making statements regarding load factors, swapping smaller planes from 789 to 788 will be possible with no interruptions.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:41 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Replacing brand new state of the art 788's? Zero reason to do such a thing. If you're u feel the reason is due to J class seats, they can simply rearrange to put in more seats rather than throw them away. In addition, with many here making statements regarding load factors, swapping smaller planes from 789 to 788 will be possible with no interruptions.
Adding more seats would mean a loss of seats in Y - the 787-9 allows for increases in both.

My comment regarding the replacement of the 787-8's though, was paraphrasing from a document I was privy to. Not all will go, but the oldest planes will be replaced - the market for 787-8's is buoyant (especially for Chinese carriers who want the planes quickly).

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.