Community
Wiki Posts
Search

45 min transit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:34 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Spyker
I'm flying a 777-300ER to Doha with short transit time, and I am wondering if they ever park the 777 at a remote stand with bus connection or do they always get directly connected to the terminal? Somebody knows?
No real way of knowing, but the 777s normally park at a gate opposed to remote stand.

I've had one remote stand for a 777 flight in the past 9 months, compared to 15 or so 'proper' gates.

As an aside, and a piece of general advice, if you do feel that you may misconnect, be proactive.

Talk to the crew onboard so they can radio ahead - this has worked for me a few times. Furthermore, if you know you will misconnect before you even leave the Lounge, look into alternative routings so that you can present them to the ground staff. They can be quite amenable as long as you do the hard work!

M
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: Ek Blue, BAEC Bronze, SQ Silver, HH Gold
They parked my 777 from Bangkok the other day at a remote stand
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
My last flight through with short connection I was met by someone from Qatar who short cut me to the onward flight
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
My last flight through with short connection I was met by someone from Qatar who short cut me to the onward flight
Did you request for this or did QR take the initiative? :-)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:06 am

QR took the initiative I was met off the plane by someone holding a card with my name
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
QR took the initiative I was met off the plane by someone holding a card with my name
Ok, that feels comforting. Which class were you travelling?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:16 am

Business - There were other staff waiting for other passengers but I have no way of knowing if they were waiting for the same reason
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Personally, I have made several 45 or 55 min connections in DOH and my luggage has not made the connecting flight. This happened 3 times. Each time the QR staff said it was strange and the luggage should have made it. So, maybe an anomaly, but now I make my connections longer. I usually fly XXX-DOH-DXB-DOH-XXX, so I have luxury of just taking the longer connection to/from DXB as there are many flights DOH-DXB each day.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I have a 70 minute connection coming up. Certainly hope my luggage will make it.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:16 pm

wripro my experience has been that my luggage always magically appears at my destination no matter how long or short the connection.
I do not think you need to worry. There are hundreds, if not thousands of 'short' connections every single day. We never hear of those where the luggage successfully follows the passenger only those where the system fails for some reason.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
I make the XXX-DOH-DXB-DOH-XXX journey at least twice a month, and in 2 years my bags have only not made it once - and even then - they were delivered to my front door within 24hrs. 45mins is plenty of time and as remdk has said - certainly not a cause for worry.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I think you've had bad luck UAworldwide!

In over 60 transits through DOH my bag has only ever not made my connection once - and I've had my fair share of short transits.

Great service recovery by QR on that one occasion though. I had a same-day domestic flight within India on a different ticket (plus a busy onward schedule) and was worried my bag would never catch up with me. They took all details, flew my bag onto Mumbai once it had landed the next morning and then delivered it directly to my hotel. I had 9 answer phone messages that day while I was out of signal and they didn't stop calling until I phoned them back to confirm receipt of my luggage.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Originally Posted by Spyker
I'm flying a 777-300ER to Doha with short transit time, and I am wondering if they ever park the 777 at a remote stand with bus connection or do they always get directly connected to the terminal? Somebody knows?
Last Friday, my RUH-DOH flight on a 777-200LR was parked at a remote stand. There is no definitive rule on this one.

Ro
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Originally Posted by remdk
wripro my experience has been that my luggage always magically appears at my destination no matter how long or short the connection.
I do not think you need to worry. There are hundreds, if not thousands of 'short' connections every single day. We never hear of those where the luggage successfully follows the passenger only those where the system fails for some reason.
Thanks for the reassurance. I will take your advice and not worry.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
HIA was designed as a Transfer Airport.

Crucially, it means that your baggage can reach the plane quicker than you!

As such, bags tend to connect, where passengers occasionally misconnect.

In circa 100 trips through HIA in the past 18 months, I have made connections (in J or F), all but once. My connections have varied from 45mins to 3 hours, but most are less than an hour.

While I know my way around the airport, the posts in this thread are useful to familiarise yourself with the setup, and process, of travelling through HIA.

If, for whatever reason, you misconnect, QR will look after you.

It never hurts to be proactive, so if you feel you will misconnect (before you takeoff), have a quick look at different onward flight options so that you can present your preferred option to the ground-staff.

Safe travels,

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.