Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar now offers a free 96 hour visa!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:48 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
FWIW, I'm also having issues with an AA issued award obtaining the free visa. I thought I'd have some luck with it, as prior to the 30 day eligibility window the website was telling me I had to wait until 30 days out to apply. However, now that I'm in the 30 day window, it tells me it can't find my record locator (yes, it's QR's not AA's).

So for now I guess the only option now is the visa on arrival (QAR 100 isn't so bad, but free is better).
Or the QR free tour ... depending on when / how long the layover is.

I recently flew on a AA award ticket (QR aircraft). Despite a few emails to the QR visa people, I was never able to get the free 96h visa.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:09 pm

TBD see post 165 for an explanation. It overlapped your post in time.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:12 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by remdk
TBD see post 165 for an explanation. It overlapped your post in time.
Yea - I'm aware of the reason it didn't work. Just confirming to SNA_Flyer that AA award = no free visa (unless you're on the tour).
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Visa documentation

Can anyone tell me what the documentation is like? The QR website says they email a visa to print. Does that mean immigration just put standard size stamps in your passport? An odd question I know, but my passport is filling up and I'm wondering how much space I need!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:54 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by e8steve
Can anyone tell me what the documentation is like? The QR website says they email a visa to print. Does that mean immigration just put standard size stamps in your passport? An odd question I know, but my passport is filling up and I'm wondering how much space I need!
It's a tiny stamp that goes horizontal across your passport that occupies 1/20 of the page or less..easily squeezed onto a previously old and used page.
The print visa is 1 page of A4 - they will gate check it but weren't bothered about it at immigration.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
When I used the 96 hour free transit visa, once the immigration officer had seen that I was holding a transit visa he just took my passport and scanned it. I assume the details of the visa were then confirmed for him onscreen - he didn't look at the transit visa printout at all - nor for the two others in my party of travellers.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by e8steve
My experience in December was that the printed copy of the visa was of no interest to anyone.

My passport now contains a bar-code sticker and an entry stamp taking up the best part of half an already used page.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:26 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
I just booked a QR itinerary. Leaving on Thursday this coming week, via Doha, returning Tuesday next week. My outbound is a straightforward connection (around an hour between flights), my return has a 24 hour connection.

So I try to submit a visa request via the QR website and it tells me there is insufficient time to process my visa. So I assume it just looks at when your travel commences, not when the actual transit is happening (which is still well over the stated 7 day processing time). So a pretty major flaw in the system.

I tried calling QR to see if they could advise any alternative approach to processing this, but after about 20 minutes on hold I just got cut off! Typical useless QR customer services!
Just to close the loop on my Transit Visa issue, I followed up with QR Customer Services. In typical QR customer service fashion, it took them 8 days to reply, only to tell me they could not help me! They told me to email a dedicated visa email address. So I did that and that team actually responded within a few hours and explained why I had a problem.

My ticket was starting from Dubai. It seems that they have a slightly obscure rule stating that tickets starting from a number of cities in the Middle East are only eligible for a free transit visa on the outbound journey. My stopover was on the return. All a bit head-scratching, but I suppose QR do love to make up seemingly crazy rules!

Interestingly today I received an email asking me to rate the email support I received. This showed a transcript of my email communication to the Visa mailbox, the reply I received, plus some further communication between the Visa team and "SOD" (which I assume is their Customer Services team). I won't post the full text of what they said, since I was clearly not meant to see that part of their communication. However, they were pretty bluntly telling their customer service colleagues that they should have answered my original enquiry, that they had access to all the required information and not referred it on to them. They were actually pointing out to the customer services team that their lack of action "gives a very bad image to PAX if they ask Support and Contact Centers and they are not able to answer".

Maybe the visa team should be promoted to lead customer services!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Thanks for posting back to close this off - another QR nuance it seems!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:16 pm

headinclouds It does not matter what type of ticket you have nor who issued it what matters is that you start your journey in CAI on a single journey with QR to CDG. That excludes you obtaining a free visa. Your citizenship has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.
Originally Posted by headinclouds
So, it is the usual visa on arrival for 100 QAR. Right?
Can one use a credit card to pay for visa on arrival, or is it currency only (Qatar or US)? My trip is in 4 weeks.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

headinclouds as far as I know Immigration will only accept credit cards, nothing else!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:13 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Can one use a credit card to pay for visa on arrival, or is it currency only (Qatar or US)? My trip is in 4 weeks.
headinclouds as far as I know Immigration will only accept credit cards, nothing else!
I would also recommend having 2-3 Visa or Mastercard cards available. While queuing I have seen a number of people having problems with their cards. Indeed on my last trip their system kept rejecting my PIN no. on the first card I tried, the second one worked fine.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by gms
According to the page you link to, it is "at least 7 days (excluding public holidays in Qatar)", not "seven working days" as you state.
Hope I get my passport back in time to apply for the visa!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Garuda GFF Gold + Miles and More + QR Gold
The Visa Terms and conditions says
".....visa for duration between 5 to 96 hours must be processed...."
What happens if I come back in less then 5 hours ?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PVDM
The Visa Terms and conditions says
".....visa for duration between 5 to 96 hours must be processed...."
What happens if I come back in less then 5 hours ?
Nothing whatsoever. I had a transit visa and we were outside the airport for about 3 hours when we represented back at immigration to enter the airport. No questions were asked.

I think the timings on the T&Cs refer to the minimum and maximum transit times between flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.