Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transit hotel for long layover - eligible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Hi all,

I have a DPS-DOH-YUL flight in J. DPS-DOH departs at 19:05, lands at 23:20, and DOH-YUL departs at 08:40 next morning.

Twist to the story is that there's also a 00:35 flight that lands at 05:05 (and therefore immediately connects to the YUL flight), but I am obviously not on that one.

Any chance I can get a hotel from QR, or will they tell me "you should've flown the later flight"? Or will depend on agent in DOH?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: QR Gold
Free transit hotel general rule is if you could have taken an earlier flight to make your connection less than 8 hours, then you do not qualify for the hotel.

Even when your connection is over 8 hours, QR seems to have different answers to getting a free hotel depending on the booking class - they scanned my card and just said i was not able to take one, even though i could have NOT gotten an earlier flight. I have missed a connection due to a late arriving flight and still not been given a free hotel - at the time i had family living in Qatar so never really complained.

Most likely you will not get a free hotel, but you never know with QR - once got a free hotel from MAD to EZE when i only paid 330euro return!
Old May 26, 2016, 1:23 am

Pseudo Nim since there is a later and shorter connection you do not qualify for STPC (paid accommodation). See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26619195.
However since you are in J there are rest cabins available in Al Mourjan on a first come first served basis. An alternative could be the Airport Hotel http://hiahotel.com/ which is airside but booking is strongly advised.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Thanks for the replies. I'm being really nitpicky here, but check this out, I was reading the thread in the above link, and the exact wording is:

"If there is no immediate [(< 8 hours)] [scheduled] [direct] connection on the date of departure from origin"

But *technically*, the "shorter" connecting flight is on the NEXT day (since it's after midnight) so on the specific day I am departing, I am on the shortest connection.

Or am I reading way, way too much into it?
Old May 26, 2016, 1:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Perhaps I am wrong, but my understanding was that a hotel is offered unless there is a shorter connection from DOH available.

In this instance, there isn't a flight from DOH-YUL during the 8 hours prior to the flight the OP is booked on, and thus the hotel should be offered.

Yes, there is a flight from DPS-DOH which would minimise the layover time, but I do not believe that is relevant in this matter.

M
Old May 26, 2016, 8:30 am

Since there is a shorter connection time in DOH STPC does not apply. http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page says "There is no connection of less than 8 hours available;".

It is the time spent in DOH that counts. Since there is a later flight that connects with the same YUL flight with a transit time in DOH of 3.35 there is NO STPC.

The Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26619195 Does not reflect the QR rules and needs to be revised.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Delay will mean I miss Doha connection.

wrong thread
Old May 26, 2016, 9:46 am

It can't hurt to ring QR customer services and ask (politely) about an STPC. I have a layover in October that doesn't technically comply with the rules but have been provided complimentary STPC, I was sent email with confirmation of this shortly after the call, but prepared for them to say no.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Thanks for the replies. I'm being really nitpicky here, but check this out, I was reading the thread in the above link, and the exact wording is:

"If there is no immediate [(< 8 hours)] [scheduled] [direct] connection on the date of departure from origin"

But *technically*, the "shorter" connecting flight is on the NEXT day (since it's after midnight) so on the specific day I am departing, I am on the shortest connection.

Or am I reading way, way too much into it?
Old May 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Plat, Hhonors Diamond
Maybe slightly off topic here but FYI in case the connection were a shorter one (say, to DXB), your J ticket becomes an F and in that case, you can benefit from one of the limited Quiet Rooms in the Al Safwa (First Class) Lounge.

These are, effectively, small, private rooms incl bathroom, bed, TV!

Happy travels
Old May 29, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Perhaps I am wrong, but my understanding was that a hotel is offered unless there is a shorter connection from DOH available.

In this instance, there isn't a flight from DOH-YUL during the 8 hours prior to the flight the OP is booked on, and thus the hotel should be offered.

Yes, there is a flight from DPS-DOH which would minimise the layover time, but I do not believe that is relevant in this matter.

M
I do not believe that is correct. I have been opposed the shorter connection available by QR in exactly that scenario (no possibility with the selected first flight but a different first flight would have made the short connection possible.

In fairness, however, QR back office is so rubbish that they seem to not even know themselves what the specific rule is although they clearly try hard not to give the STPC accommodation if they can find some excuse to refuse it.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I'm sure there's a thread with the answer, but since this one's active, I'll ask here:

Is the hotel available to those transiting when flying J on an award ticket?
Old May 31, 2016, 11:29 pm

Shareholder if you read the Wiki on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post26706829 thread you will see that award flights do not qualify for free STPC.

If you are on a QR redemption then you may qualify for paid STPC but you need to ask your local office.

Finally there is the airside Airport hotel which you may book into at your own cost. However you need to book in advance since it is very busy.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks. I've overnighted in the J lounge before, gets rather quiet in the wee hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.