Search

Try to get an A350 flight..

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Try to get an A350 flight..

Hi all,
Possibly an odd question. I'm really keen to try the A350 and have a brief opportunity to try it in July. I'd booked an award J seat in one from DOH to MUC but it's since been subbed to a 788 so I'm going to look for an alternative. Are there any flights from DOH to any European city that are consistently A350?

Many thanks!
Old May 22, 2016, 2:29 am

Equipment changes on QR are legendary. I wouldn't plan an itinerary on the basis of scheduled equipment. Very little to choose between the 787 and A350 anyway in J. Arguably the 787 service is better due to crew ratio.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_botak
Equipment changes on QR are legendary. I wouldn't plan an itinerary on the basis of scheduled equipment. Very little to choose between the 787 and A350 anyway in J. Arguably the 787 service is better due to crew ratio.
Absolutely - there's always a risk of a late change. A 787 isn't bad (fingers are crossed that it's not subbed for a 77W or A330) but I've flown them before and so it's no longer a novelty.

On a side note, I'm really annoyed that QR are opening up A350 routes (ie ADL) when they're unable to guarantee (or close to) the new aircraft on their current A350 routes.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:47 am

PaulST at the present time QR have a significant lack of suitable aircraft for its longhaul routes. This is almost entirely due to late deliveries from both Boeing and primarily Airbus. Boeing are now almost on schedule with deliveries but Airbus are definitely not. An explanation of the Airbus problems can be found on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...cuss-here.html thread.

Aircraft are expensive and need to be used as profitably as possible to pay for themselves. You may be annoyed but QR does have the right to swap aircraft to the most profitable routes.

Opening new routes when there were insufficient aircraft to service it is is, in my opinion, a rather suspicious practice.

Even last year many postings on this forum warned against selecting a flight for a particular aircraft type.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
For probably the twentieth time this year, NEVER SELECT A ROUTE PURELY FOR THE AIRCRAFT.

It only leads to disappointment and frustration.

The A350 has been delayed across all airlines, not just QR, so you may find it better to try AY (for example) if you want to try the aircraft. They are part of OneWorld, so you would earn QRPC points and miles.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:18 am
Original Poster

All true - QR are a business and there's always the chance of a sub.

Yeah AY via Thailand might well be the next available option. It's a pity as I was really looking forward to trying it (I flew from London to Doha and back to Munich - on points of course - but at least I'll get to try BA F for the first time on the first flight).
Old May 22, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by PaulST
All true - QR are a business and there's always the chance of a sub.

Yeah AY via Thailand might well be the next available option. It's a pity as I was really looking forward to trying it (I flew from London to Doha and back to Munich - on points of course - but at least I'll get to try BA F for the first time on the first flight).
I havent checked the reliability of AY and their A350's, other than to say their product has been reviewed a few times - and it is evidently not as good as that on QR.

However, if it's the aircraft you're after, I'd probably say you've got a better chance with AY...at least until QR supposedly receive additional airframes later this year.

M
Old May 22, 2016, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. My other option is probably SQ too.
Old May 22, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Any opinions on what the safest routes are for the A350 not to be replaced? I know there are no guarantees, just wondering.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't believe that there have been any replacements on BOS yet. And it's an all 350 route, nothing else mixed in to the schedule.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Fingers are crossed that they may sub an A350 back onto my route.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I hope JFK is safe as well.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:12 pm

Been checking the timetable.

Looks like they're flying the A350 3x day to SIN. That correct?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Been checking the timetable.

Looks like they're flying the A350 3x day to SIN. That correct?
On paper, yes... But I believe there have been some occasional substitutions during the last 1-2 months or so.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:55 am
Original Poster

I know that I'm bringing up an old thread but I thought I'd update people on what happened.
I'd accepted flying the 787-8 and was still keen to try out the product and then 48hrs before my flight, it returned to an A350 (as proven in my trip report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...t-doh-muc.html )
I felt incredibly fortunate as the following day was subbed to an A330!

Now to try and get on one of the early A350-1000 flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.