Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Old May 22, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
Out of curiosity, how does "Travel Period" works? Is it the departure date or arrival date (as it can be different due to timezone/long layover)?
As all of the credits are for ex-Doha journeys only, I would work on the basis of the departure date at local time in Qatar
Old May 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tboons
The terms and conditions didn't exclude the city of residence. It was excluded for last promotion.
I follow tboons reasoning, but do we have any more hard facts on this one?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

in 2015 it was easy for me to get all 4 badges with business travel

this year only the first badge was posing a challenge for me but I just booked a long weekend from Dubai to Colombo RT for USD 239 (a bargain IMO)

need to mess around connecting in Doha but sweet deal otherwise and on to the other badges

Last edited by saint77; May 25, 2016 at 12:26 am
Old May 26, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Not looked into this properly yet but need to get on it.
Earned Platinum, the 100k and a good few thousand more points along the way last time.
Did it all in biz last time. Not sure I will this time though I'd prefer to obviously :-)
This promo is my only way of keeping Plat so gunna give it a go.
Keen to do it with bloody good deals only though and maybe a few FDs if I can find them (or someonne kind messages me). Really helped last time :-)
Old May 28, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
So has anyone found / booked any cracking deals which get them some badges ?

Have you seen anything exciting on QR from Amsterdam / Berlin / London to Jo'burg which falls in the QR Globetrotter promotion timeframes ?
Land in Jo'burg 15th May - 25th July & then return to one of the above between 1st Aug & 10th Oct ?
So something like 20th Jul - 5th Aug (at random) ?
Old May 28, 2016, 7:50 am

First of all hello to all of you, I'm quite new to that whole "miles game" and I'm also taking part in this years QR promotion.

I've just booked a pretty nice deal to earn the second and the third badge, here are the details of anyone's keen:

Departure from Perth to New York on 8th October, (multi city booking). Return from New York to Ho Chi Minh on 18th October. Unfortunately it's all in the lowest booking class but it will still earn the two badges as well as the bonus 12.500 Qmiles and 75Qpoints for just about 480.

I'm lucky that I had already booked a flight out of Munich to Perth on 8th July when the campaign was released. My goal is to get platinum status at the end of the campaign. I'll only have 165 Qpoints after the flights to and from JFK so I hope there'll be a nice biz deal to get the last badge and some Qpoints.

Does anyone of you know whether I'll still get a soft landing to gold status after a year and another 40qcredits ?
Old May 28, 2016, 9:49 am

I believe that you do get the soft landing whichever way you've earned Platinum; the hard way or the easier way of getting Gold & a bump to Plat via the Globetrotter promotion.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:50 am

I've been looking to get out to South Africa to do a bit of wildlife spotting but also to get a load of flying time under my belt as practice for my PPL which I've started off in the UK. Its so much cheaper in SA.
I was looking more at CPT but with Jo'burg (& to a lesser extent, Nairobi) in the first badge it seems sensible to head for one of those although there are cheaper prices (in biz) to CPT I've been informed.

So I'm umming and arring at the moment.
I've seen ARN-CPT in that time frame for 1141 (no badges)
LON-CPT (no badges but convenient for me) 1650
ARN-JNB 1141 (one badge, 1st)
TXL-JNB 1520 (two badges, 1st & 2nd)
MIL-JNB 1650 (two badges, 1st & 2nd)

So I'm currently trying to weigh up whether to do BER-JHB for 1520 for the first two badges or save myself 400 towards another trip for the 2nd badge somewhere else.
It probably makes more sense if I am going to really target the 4 badges to go for the pricier option upfront (costing 760 per badge for the first two + one holiday) vs the cheaper flight now to save 400 but cost me 1140 per badge for the 1st badge.

If I wasn't going to go for the Globetrotter campaign this year I'd of course be heading to ARN (need to look at the other Scandi airports yet) but going from BER seems to make more financial sense in the long run given that I'll need to minimise my actual holidays this year due to the expense of getting a PPL and a few other hefty outgoings this year.
Just doesn't feel right in my head to pay 400 for (almost) the same flights !!

However its unlikely I'd be able to complete the 3rd & 4th badges out of one return journey given that the period you'd need to be travelling includes the 25th Dec - 1st Jan so that'll be two seperate trips I suspect, so if I want to complete the 4 badges in less than 4 return journeys I'll need to double up on this first one. Hmm... Unles I can double up between the 3rd & 4th. Aaaaagh.

What dilemmas is this Globetrotter campaign putting other people in ?!

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on my plans ?

Last edited by Sisyphus1carus; May 29, 2016 at 11:12 am
Old May 29, 2016, 9:54 am

Anyone seen good prices to Ho Chi Minh in Dec coming back in Jan to any of the 4th badge (Europ-ish) locations ?

Amritsar, Athens, Alexandria, Baku, Beirut, Belgrade, Birmingham, Boston, Casablanca, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Luxor, Madrid, Munich, Vienna, Warsaw, Yangon
Old May 30, 2016, 5:11 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Anyone seen good prices to Ho Chi Minh in Dec coming back in Jan to any of the 4th badge (Europ-ish) locations ?

Amritsar, Athens, Alexandria, Baku, Beirut, Belgrade, Birmingham, Boston, Casablanca, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Luxor, Madrid, Munich, Vienna, Warsaw, Yangon
You're looking a little too far ahead, I reckon. I'm eyeing the same dates and destinations, planning to travel up to Birmingham by train to catch BHX-SGN-BHX to get two badges. There's little point in tracking prices at this point of time because QR usually releases promotions monthly, from 3 months up to a month prior to departure in my experience.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by zsc
You're looking a little too far ahead, I reckon. I'm eyeing the same dates and destinations, planning to travel up to Birmingham by train to catch BHX-SGN-BHX to get two badges. There's little point in tracking prices at this point of time because QR usually releases promotions monthly, from 3 months up to a month prior to departure in my experience.
And to prove your point, here's another promo !!

Spotted by Antuning.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...biz-promo.html

AMS is in the second badge list and the dates are good for 1st & second badge earning period so can be combined with a first badge destination to get you both those badges.

For example AMS-JNB-AMS can earn you both badges at this sale fare.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by zsc

I was very tempted by a reported under 1200 MUC-HND which would get the 3rd & 4th badges, supplemented by some JAL flights booked on Avios for Christmas in Micronesia but decided to wait and see what other sales come along later in the year.

I have booked ARN-JNB//CPT-TXL today before the specific sale fare vanishes tonight, securing the first two badges. Not ridiculously cheap but a keen price & where I want to be when !
The AMS-JNB-AMS sale fare mentioned in the previous post is lower but implies it requires 2 people as is marketed as a companion fare. Haven't tested it.
Old May 31, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
For example AMS-JNB-AMS can earn you both badges at this sale fare.
From reading GT2016 FAQ it doesn't appear you would get two badges out AMS-JNB RT as only outbound is eligible. Can get two badges by OJ/DOJ your ticket.

"- Is a return trip or one way from Doha to a theme destination required to be eligible for bonus Qmiles and special travel badges?
A return trip is not required as bonus Qmiles will be credited only for the outbound journey (transiting via/originating from Doha to the theme destination) and not for the return journey (destination to/via Doha)."
Old May 31, 2016, 3:42 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by Slobodansm
From reading GT2016 FAQ it doesn't appear you would get two badges out AMS-JNB RT as only outbound is eligible. Can get two badges by OJ/DOJ your ticket.

"- Is a return trip or one way from Doha to a theme destination required to be eligible for bonus Qmiles and special travel badges?
A return trip is not required as bonus Qmiles will be credited only for the outbound journey (transiting via/originating from Doha to the theme destination) and not for the return journey (destination to/via Doha)."
My interpretation is that say you were to fly AMS-DOH-JNB, you'll only be credited for the DOH-JNB (outbound) sector, and not the AMS-DOH sector.

In which case, if you're taking a return flight and assuming you're in the right travel period, you can earn 1 badge doing AMS-(DOH-JNB) and then JNB-(DOH-AMS). Bracketed sectors the ones earning the badges. I might be wrong though.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:52 pm

If it works the same way as last year, I took a AMS-DPS-MAD open jaw, and got globetrotter bonus miles for both DPS and MAD, two badges as they were in different themes, and the route launch bonus miles from AMS. Happy days

Edit: As a data point for this year, I flew into Oslo today on a ticket I bought several months before the launch of this year's promotion, but have the globetrotter bonus miles credited to my account already. So no waiting until the end of the theme period like last year.

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Jun 1, 2016 at 7:49 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.