Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Originally Posted by kl1987
I don't think it will be possible to retro-claim for promotions if you haven't registered for the promotion.
I feared as much. But it does seem somewhat half-arsed to run part of a promotion from May-July without actually being able to register for/partake in the offer for the first 11 days of May!
Old May 8, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: QR - Gold, EY - Gold
Originally Posted by kl1987
I don't see BKK on the Metropolitan excursion?? I know it was last year and I am also planning on doing it.
Yes unfortunately BKK and HAN is no longer there which makes it much more difficult for me to complete the challenge.

For my BKK-LAX-BKK tix, the DOH-LAX leg should qualify me for the Metropolitan excursion.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:13 pm

Do you think they intentionally put the 2-month lag there so that not so many will obtain platinum ? Coz all of us who obtained platinum from last year's promotion will lose it in Jan 2017 unless managed to accumulate enough QPoints during the past 1-2 year to at least maintain gold level after Jan, only then the tier upgrade for platinum will be granted. Do I understand it right ?
Old May 8, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by Apresmidi
Do you think they intentionally put the 2-month lag there so that not so many will obtain platinum ? Coz all of us who obtained platinum from last year's promotion will lose it in Jan 2017 unless managed to accumulate enough QPoints during the past 1-2 year to at least maintain gold level after Jan, only then the tier upgrade for platinum will be granted. Do I understand it right ?
Old May 8, 2016, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

my understanding is Platinum status would automatically revert to Gold (soft landing) if you do not meet the annual number of Qpoints, you would not drop to the bottom

please somebody correct me is that is wrong?

Last edited by saint77; May 8, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Old May 8, 2016, 9:01 pm

Do preexisting bookings count?

I'll be grateful for any thoughts on the following.

I already have a booking to Amsterdam in August, which in principle would meet the criterion for the Metropolitan Excursions badge. Do people think this will qualify, given that the booking was made before this promotion was announced? (I am of course intending to register for the promotion asap.)
Old May 8, 2016, 10:09 pm

My expectation would be that your PC level for a new year would be based on the qpoints you accumulated in the 12/24 month period prior to the renewal date. So if I were platinum but had only picked up enough for silver, that's what I would expect to get. Completing all four badges would then upgrade to gold. That being said, I haven't been in a position to have a tier downgrade with QR before, so if anyone has experience of a soft landing that would be useful information.

The promotion does say "travel to" rather than "book and travel to", so it will be interesting to see if existing bookings count in practice, and whether the home country airport exclusion has also been dropped this time around.

Depending on the above, and your individual circumstances, it does seem more generous this year, particularly if you have experience earned last year of how to use open jaws and badge period crossovers to minimise the flights required to maximise your benefits. And if you were planning to travel to those destinations anyway, it's all a very big bonus!

Last edited by Johnnieboy; May 8, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old May 8, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

tier is only dropped one if you do not qualify for Platinum again, then you are Gold etc

found it posted in another discussion
Old May 9, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
It appears more details have appeared overnight with exact dates for each phase/theme:

Adventurous = 15th May - 25th July
Metropolitan = 1st August - 10th October
Culinary = 16th October - 25th Decemeber
Cultural = 1st January - 10th Marc (2017)
Old May 9, 2016, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Work-Shy
It appears more details have appeared overnight with exact dates for each phase/theme:

They must be reading this thread ! Now my plan to do open jaw on 31 Dec and 10 Jan screwed .. ! LOL
Old May 9, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Both the dates and the choice of cities makes getting the 4 badges much harder this year - at least for me.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Temedar
Both the dates and the choice of cities makes getting the 4 badges much harder this year - at least for me.
same here the dates of travel don't match my schedule , i will only get bonus miles with JFK.
By the way i think it is nice from Privilege club to offer this kind of challenge .
What is more difficult is to choose between all the promotions , x4 miles , sectors , badges .....
Old May 9, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Work-Shy

The lack of overlap between the dates is a bit annoying - I think they learned from last year when people would do two badges in one return trip (with different starting and ending destinations). Force people to travel more - or at least spend 6 days at the destination
Old May 9, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
As a plat that expires in June 2017 I could literally fly just 4 sectors in a single year with QR to retain status. That said the cities this time round are much less suitable than last year (no Mumbai, Dubai, Rome etc).
Old May 9, 2016, 2:36 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Just so I'm on the same page as everyone here, am I right to understand that there are five parts to this iteration of the Globetrotter promo? It seems to me that the way they word it implies that everything from 1 to 5 will only be credited at the end of the promo in March 2017?

i.e.

1. Bonus Qmiles.
Conditions: throughout the duration of the promotion, ex-DOH flights only count. Bonus Qmiles will be credited for outbound journey transiting via or originating from Doha to theme destination.
Qmiles will be credited automatically soon after the eligible sector is flown.

2. Themes and Badges.
Conditions: fly ex-DOH to listed countries within given travel period for each theme, earn badge for each theme satisfied.
Badge awarded at the end of each travel period.

3. Badge rewards.
Conditions: earn 2 badges, get bonus 1, earn 3 badges, get bonus number 2, etc.
Unclear as to when these Qmiles will be credited. Maybe at the end of each travel period.

4. Bonus Qmiles for GT2015 badge holders.
Conditions: self-explanatory, if you've earned 2 badges in GT2015, earn 5k Qmiles & etc.
Unclear as to when these Qmiles will be credited. Maybe at the end of each travel period.

5. 250 Qmiles bonus
Conditions: register offer from 24 May 2016 onwards.
One-time registration bonus of 250 Qmiles will be credited to member’s account at the end of each theme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to figure out how to capitalise and maximise earnings.

Last edited by zsc; May 9, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.