Online check-in, no boarding pass

Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Online check-in, no boarding pass

About 2 weeks ago, QR's online checking stopped producing a usable boarding pass. I asked QR in DOH, they confirmed the change but didn't know why this has happened.

I take it I'm not the only person?

The PDF I now receive, reads as follows:

"Online check-in confirmation
You have successfully checked in your flight. This is not a boarding pass.

Name: ....
Flight details: ....
Seating: ....
Booking reference: ....
Ticket number: ....
Some other details too

Dear Customer,
Thank you for choosing to fly Qatar Airways.

Due to mandatory document checks, pls proceed to the Fast Bag Drop counter(s) no later than 90 mins before your scheduled departure time. Our check-in agent(s) will provide you with a boarding pass for travel.

We appreciate your cooperation and value your business."
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Sky Fly the practice has existed for a long time and is certainly not uncommon. It appears that it is becoming more and more common.
There are several aspects to this.

1 QR are uncertain about some aspect of your booking. It could be as simple as the method of payment (for example use of a credit card for the first time) or several other reasons.

2 In some airports airlines are required to check travel documents before issuing a BP.

3 Some destinations may require airlines to check for valid visas etc. before allowing passengers to fly.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: LH HON
While the practice is not uncommon it certainly does not make any sense at all sometimes. I can never do OLCI when departing from Singapore when having a ticket to Germany, because according to QR they need to verify that I'm allowed to stay in Germany. Well guess why I've entered my GERMAN passport credentials in first place? Doesn't make sense to me.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I travel on QR at least 2 times a week (since 2.5 years now)...and this only started happening 2 weeks ago.

I just landed in DOH from RUH...after starting this thread.

On boarding, I asked the QR staff about the issue, they said that they're seeing more of this, but there are still boarding passes with QR codes being issued....he showed me some.

Some comments from my end:
1. The payment details and my address have not changed in the last 16 months. Thats well over 100 segments with the same details.

2. The documents I hold have not changed. This issue has come up at DOH, RUH, and AMM.....all airports that I travel to very frequently and in the past have always provided QR coded boarding passes.

3. The biggest problem here is that I now have to get my boarding pass at the counter and show up 90 mins before departure. This is a disaster for me. I know that some QR check-in counters close 60 mins before departure. I've seen this first hand in DMM. They walk away from the counter 60 mins before departure.

I really hope that this is temporary!!! :-(
Old May 1, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Poster

A quick update.
Last night I completed the OLCI for one of my regular flights, DOH to RUH, and I got the boarding pass with the QR code. This is the same flight to which I didn't get the BP with QR code last week.

Things are looking up :-)
Old May 1, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sky Fly
A quick update.
Last night I completed the OLCI for one of my regular flights, DOH to RUH, and I got the boarding pass with the QR code. This is the same flight to which I didn't get the BP with QR code last week.

Things are looking up :-)
Yay ^ Hopefully this will continue
Old May 1, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yay ^ Hopefully this will continue
Qatar; consistently inconsistent!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Apologies if there is a more recent thread on this topic, but I have checked in and have an "Online seat confirmation" but not a boarding pass. I am departing from Philadelphia on QR, but arriving into PHL on an American flight on a different ticket. Does anyone know whether I can receive a boarding pass at the gate, or do I have to exit security and go to the check-in counter? Thanks in advance.

Answering my own question: I was able to get boarding passes in the BA lounge, which QR was staffing upon my arrival. ^
nilsfr69 likes this.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Sep 6, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by ckx2
While the practice is not uncommon it certainly does not make any sense at all sometimes. I can never do OLCI when departing from Singapore when having a ticket to Germany, because according to QR they need to verify that I'm allowed to stay in Germany. Well guess why I've entered my GERMAN passport credentials in first place? Doesn't make sense to me.
NO sense does make sense.....but just for QR ;-)
The same did happened for me all the times flying from BKK to Europe (and I do have a european passport as well) in the past, but since the total great "enhancements" and the high price structure ex / to Germany this year, I did not fly QR anymore (2 business tickets less per month for them, but who cares...QR apparently not ;-) )
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Got the same problem now. Travelling with German passport SIN to MUC, only get seat confirmation, no boarding pass. Very annoying, because I‘m on QR0945 (departure at 2:00 am on Nov 6th) and actually did plan to be at Changi at around 9 pm to relax a bit after a long day in the city.

Are QR checkin counters really only open 3 hours before departure or is there a way to get airside as early as planned? Would it be possible to check in when the counters are open for QR0947 (departing 20:45 on Nov 5th)?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Flip42
Would it be possible to check in when the counters are open for QR0947 (departing 20:45 on Nov 5th)?
To answer my own question, it is possible.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by endisnigh
Qatar; consistently inconsistent!
I love that comment!

Similar to my BA; brilliantly awful
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
First time flying Qatar-booked through Amex travel. Wasn't able to get BP's-got the seat confirmation instead-which says "checked in". We will be at JFK in plenty of time. Hopefully no issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.