Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Just an FYI to the people complaining about being very high in the shower queue: Just wait in the quiet area, and you will skip the queue in no time. I showed up, was told I was something like number 10 in line. There was one other guy waiting in the area, everyone else had seemingly left to go get breakfast and come back later. It took like 5 minutes for two showers to free up, and since I was the second guy there, I got a shower in no time.

It's another sign of QR's backwardedness that you have to wait in the shower area to get a shower (I can't believe I'm praising BA's lounges here, but the buzzers they have for showers are an excellent idea). Completely inefficient system.

That being said, until QR moves into the 21st century, you might all do well to exploit that system. Line for the shower is no line if people aren't actually in the quiet room waiting
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:04 pm

I suspect some (many?) people put their names down on both lists, reducing the real queue further
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:42 pm

I noticed this exact thing a few days back...

I first took their advice and went to the lounge for 20 minutes. THen came back...and my position had not changed.
Then, decided to wait (in the "quiet area" showers) .. to see what happens......right next to where they were writing the names down.

Basically they take everyone's names...and tell them "you are #14, or #17"...etc....and tell everyone to go to the lounge area and "check back in "20 to 30 minutes".

As soon as most people left the area, they called out names "soffftttlly" ….......of course, everyone has left to the lounge.
So, the passenger(s) sitting right there will be the only ones who can hear any names called out...and they almost always be the next in line.

Even this way, I had to wait a further 20 minutes. Because, they thought I was not there (while I was sitting under their noses). …….they switched my first and last names...so, whenever I enquired, I was always # 11, or so.

This shower wait list system is an absolute disgrace.

Originally Posted by mpkz
Just an FYI to the people complaining about being very high in the shower queue: Just wait in the quiet area, and you will skip the queue in no time. I showed up, was told I was something like number 10 in line. There was one other guy waiting in the area, everyone else had seemingly left to go get breakfast and come back later. It took like 5 minutes for two showers to free up, and since I was the second guy there, I got a shower in no time.

It's another sign of QR's backwardedness that you have to wait in the shower area to get a shower (I can't believe I'm praising BA's lounges here, but the buzzers they have for showers are an excellent idea). Completely inefficient system.

That being said, until QR moves into the 21st century, you might all do well to exploit that system. Line for the shower is no line if people aren't actually in the quiet room waiting
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:46 pm

On a separate note...somewhere upthread, I remember reading that the lounge attendants expect a tip.

I did not tip.
However, I could feel the pressure building up with the expectation...right from the moment I entered the shower stall...till the moment I got out of the place where they take the names down.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Still, one wonders how do the people who leave, think they will be notified when their number comes up??

Originally Posted by mpkz
Just an FYI to the people complaining about being very high in the shower queue: Just wait in the quiet area, and you will skip the queue in no time. .............
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
On a separate note...somewhere upthread, I remember reading that the lounge attendants expect a tip.

I did not tip.
However, I could feel the pressure building up with the expectation...right from the moment I entered the shower stall...till the moment I got out of the place where they take the names down.

I live in an environment where tipping is not expected outside a very limited number of situations. I found the lounge attendants helpful, but felt no pressure at all to tip for service in the shower set-up. I wouldn't dream of offering a gratuity to the chap handling the shower roster: I'm not at all saintly but i find subornation of that kind unpalatable.

I'm sure the attendants value the windfalls they receive from guests accustomed to spreading largesse, and this might lead to an expectation of a gratuity. But until i read the thread you refer to, it never entered my head that tipping was customary.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

The problem is, those attendants would offer to move you to the front of the queue for a fee and this was something I have seen during my visit last week. I have reported the incident.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Professional Bum
The problem is, those attendants would offer to move you to the front of the queue for a fee and this was something I have seen during my visit last week. I have reported the incident.
A set fee or just sliding the person a few bucks running the list?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
A set fee or just sliding the person a few bucks running the list?
They would ask for a tip. Not a set fee, my bad for using that word.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Still, one wonders how do the people who leave, think they will be notified when their number comes up??
That’s me sometimes. Just decided not to take a shower given the long queue.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by Professional Bum
I'm not sure about a fee, but I did ask quietly and politely and said that I totally understood it was peak time and if it wasn't possible, and that got me right to the front of the quiet room queue a couple of weeks ago - I still had to come back in an hour, but the attendant remembered my name and had a room waiting for me

By comparison, the person who pushed in front of me was a loud DYKWIA, who barged through the door, pushed to the front of the queue and yelled loudly in the quiet area that he wanted a shower and a quiet room IMMEDIATELY. He was told nothing was available for another 6 hours. Karma, my rude friend, karma
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
From my last 2 experiences, where it was impossible to get a shower in a 3 hour layover, my impression was that the assistants just stuck to a script. They allocate numbers and then clearly do not manage the system.

It's very much a case of computer says NO. You would hope they wold be feeding back stuff to the management so that the system can be improved. Im guessing at least 50% of people who put their name down do not then use the shower.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I realise this is unhelpful if you've got a short layover, and of course it would be better to have more shower rooms, etc, etc... but I do check when the arrival and departure banks are - e.g. there's no point trying to get a shower between, say, 6am and 8am; or basically at any time the wider lounge is busy

If you're on one of the later departures, then don't bother trying till 8:30; and if you're on one of the earlier arrivals, then go straight away, preferably before 5am; and then generally you can get one within a few minutes. General rule of thumb: if there aren't many people in the lounge, then nobody will be in the shower either, and regulars should all know that Al Mourjan wavers between deathly quiet tumbleweed and "OMG there's nowhere to sit, all the dining tables are filthy"
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by kt74
I realise this is unhelpful if you've got a short layover, and of course it would be better to have more shower rooms, etc, etc... but I do check when the arrival and departure banks are - e.g. there's no point trying to get a shower between, say, 6am and 8am; or basically at any time the wider lounge is busy

If you're on one of the later departures, then don't bother trying till 8:30; and if you're on one of the earlier arrivals, then go straight away, preferably before 5am; and then generally you can get one within a few minutes. General rule of thumb: if there aren't many people in the lounge, then nobody will be in the shower either, and regulars should all know that Al Mourjan wavers between deathly quiet tumbleweed and "OMG there's nowhere to sit, all the dining tables are filthy"
There is a huge difference between there being no availability due to high demand and a lack of showers, as opposed to an inefficient allocating system.
mpkz likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
We visited the Al-M lounge Saturday morning and were shocked how full it was. Nearly every seat was taken. I took the kids to the game room to show them the PS3s I had played on in Dec 2015 and they were all broken. The TV in the corner was not working and the attendant to the toddler room told me the game room is completely unusable right now. So we went on to the family area to find a place to relax. Only to find couples spread out and sleeping there, which I think is not the purpose of that section. Luckily one couple was just leaving so we managed to get one room.

In 2015 the Al-M lounge had a refined air about it, last weekend it was just another lounge at another hub...

PS: won't whine about the missing Krug since it was Ramadan...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.