QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by R2
Sitting here in AM (Thu 1:30am), alcohol is flowing freely. The restaurant buffet on the right is all vegetarian, the one the left various meat dishes. Champagne is still only Lanson, the deli has Billecart Brut.
Was in the AM a week ago and Lanson was being served in the deli too now
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Any updates on if Billecart is back?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by timo469
Any updates on if Billecart is back?
As of 12/25: still only pouring Lanson.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:58 am

Thumbs up

Earlier today got access to Al Mourjan with a Y ticket (Sun 14-Jan, around 6:30am).

When heading to the “First” lounge with my Economy ticket as Plat I was redirected to Al Mourjan.
Inquired whether this is a policy change, but they said it is offered occasionally when the lounge is very full. Morning wave and HIA felt pretty busy today.

That was definitely a first for me.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by alexfunke
Earlier today got access to Al Mourjan with a Y ticket (Sun 14-Jan, around 6:30am).

When heading to the “First” lounge with my Economy ticket as Plat I was redirected to Al Mourjan.
Inquired whether this is a policy change, but they said it is offered occasionally when the lounge is very full. Morning wave and HIA felt pretty busy today.

That was definitely a first for me.
I am glad this worked out for you but I will tell you but.......I was in the Al Mourjan lounge the morning of the 26th and it was an absolute zoo. Not a seat to be had in any of the dining areas and only a few of the uncomfortable and pretty useless seats in the common area of the lounge. I asked one of the greeter types about volume at the other lounges and she informed me that they are sending people over from the Oneworld First Lounge as it was full, essentially moving the problem and making the Al Mourjan lounge as bad or worse, dumb move! I got the hell out of the place, no way I am fighting for a coffee and small meal. Went to a restaurant and paid for my own meal.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:06 am

Is there an online list for the quasi ala carte / made to order menu in the deli and restaurant? Or do some of the veterans know by memory?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

Was here (first time for me) a few days back... was connecting...and had one hour to spend in the lounge (6-7AM).

This lounge is basically a mess !!!!
Forget about getting a shower.... the shower stall people told me 15 people were in front of me.... I saw one guy waiting other than myself. (no one by the seats near the shower entrance...unless they were all waiting in some other part of the lounge)..... I waited fifteen minutes and decided it was not worth it.

The lounge was so crowded....went up one level to the "restaurant"...absolutely jam packed. There were lines in the toilet stall upstairs (as apparently there is only one stall each for men / women).

Essentially, I felt that the AM Lounge completely spoiled the "premium" aspect of the QR experience. I spoke to a couple of staff in general about the lounge...they just said "sorry sir, this is our busiest time and its always this way".

Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Was here (first time for me) a few days back... was connecting...and had one hour to spend in the lounge (6-7AM). ... The lounge was so crowded....went up one level to the "restaurant"...absolutely jam packed. ... I spoke to a couple of staff in general about the lounge...they just said "sorry sir, this is our busiest time and its always this way".
6-7 a.m. probably is the lounge's peak period, given the way that they bank their flights. But businesses don't design or build for peak usage; they do so for average usage. While I can certainly understand why you were disappointed, I also see QR's position, too. They don't want to overbuild substantially, with the attendant construction and ongoing cost.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
6-7 a.m. probably is the lounge's peak period, given the way that they bank their flights. But businesses don't design or build for peak usage; they do so for average usage. While I can certainly understand why you were disappointed, I also see QR's position, too. They don't want to overbuild substantially, with the attendant construction and ongoing cost.
Totally agree with what you note about the unnecessary need to over build a lounge.
I think for me it was purely a disappointment....I will get over it.
In-flight service was excellent on QR....the lounge experience spoiled what could have been an amazing overall experience! Hopefully I will get to fly them soon again!!!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

I guess I would argue they did overbuild as far as space goes, they just didn't allocate it very well. I newly built lounge that cant handle peak period basically from the get go is just bad design if you ask me. Did they not intend on it growing in the future at all? There is tons of space in the lounge and I think they could make changes to accommodate a lot more people than they can now. Also, if the lounge is already full why do they send Y pax to the lounge to give relief to the OW F lounge?

I think your point is well taken but still think QR could do more to fix the problem and it is a problem. The J experience is pretty good at QR but the lounge experience is a low point for me.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Did they not intend on it growing in the future at all? There is tons of space in the lounge and I think they could make changes to accommodate a lot more people than they can now.
Well, first, there's the other lounge which they're building. If you suggest that the size is adequate but just misallocated, what changes would you make?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:01 pm

Well, first, there's the other lounge which they're building. If you suggest that the size is adequate but just misallocated, what changes would you make?
I consider all that space that is in the front of the lounge as you enter poorly used. I think you could actually get better and more dense seating in that area. You could then put some food out in the space where the coffee makers are which could take some relief off the deli and the upstairs restaurant. I often do not need much but more than a croissant which seems to be all there is in the little station near the stairway. I would also manage the space better. If the lounge is already full and people are leaving as there is no space...stop letting people in! I am not sure I would keep box the quite room and the relaxing area (or whatever the name is). I would get rid of one for more seating.

Maybe it is just me and I am being unreasonable but I just feel like when I walk into the space that while it is obviously beautiful the space could be utilized better. Especially as I am on the escalator on my way to a restaurant to find a place to sit........
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:13 pm
R2

I realise this is a small detail but the business centre is too large relative to the need. I use it almost every time I'm in AM - partly because it's the least crowded area in the lounge - and the most people I have ever seen there is about five. It has the capacity for at least 30 people.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by DannoTheManno
Is there an online list for the quasi ala carte / made to order menu in the deli and restaurant? Or do some of the veterans know by memory?
bump
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

Lunch menu
Ain’t the best pic I’ve ever taken, but those were the choices last Oct/Nov.
DannoTheManno likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.