Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
Ramadan is a holy month to Muslims and also a joyous and spiritual time. I am concentrating upon that which most affects Non-Muslim QR passengers during Ramadan.

When is Ramadan?
Because the Muslim´calendar is a lunar calendar the date in the Gregorian, or solar, calendar changes every year. Each year it is about 11 days earlier than the previous year.
Ramadan 2017 was 27 May to 25 June.
Ramadan 2018 was16 May to 14 June.
Ramadan 2019 was 6 May to 4 June.
Ramadan 2020 was 24 April to 23 May.
Ramadan 2021 was 12 April to 11 May.
Ramadan 2022 was 2 April to 2 May.
Ramadan 2023 wss 22 March to 23 April.
Ramadan 2024 is 10 March to 9 April.
Ramadan 2025 is 1 March to 30 March.
Ramadan 2026 is 18 February to 19 March.
Ramadan 2027 is 8 February to 9 March.

When does Ramadan actually start?
The Muslim day starts at sunset and continues to sunset. Sightings for the new moon are taken at sunset and when sighted the month of Ramadan has started. Fasting begins later in the Muslim day at sunrise. Thus if Ramadan starts on June 6th then it is the sighting of the new moon at sunset on June 5th that marks the official start. Tha actual start date may be different due to the fact that we live on a globe and it takes 24 hours to rotate on its axis! The dates quoted are for Qatar.

Are there exceptions to the rules?
There are exceptions to fasting rules such as the aged, sick, pregnant women, travellers, etc.
Some branches of Islam demand payment of a fine or a penance, such as feeding the poor, for breaking the fast whilst other branches do not. In some branches of Islam travellers may voluntarily choose to continue fasting whilst other branches forbid fasting whilst travelling.

When does Fasting take place?
Most agree that the times of fasting are from Sunrise to Sunset. Others use Dawn and Dusk. The latter could cause serious health problems for those who live at latitude 48.5 or greater. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight for an explanation.

How does Ramadan affect QR?
QR adheres to the rules of Ramadan as required by the State of Qatar.
Food is always available inside the airport and on all flights. This is because of the traveller rules.
Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is NOT available at Hamad International Airport either inside or outside the airport buildings, even at the Airport hotel. However in 2023 alcohol was being served in at least the Al Safwa and Al Mourjan airport lounges. At the moment it is not known if this also applied to other lounges. Pleas look at this years postings to see other lounges also served alcohol.

Alcohol is not available on most flights to/from muslim countries. Certain muslim countries, such as Malaysia, are regarded as multicultural countries and the in-flight alcohol ban does not apply. On all other flights to/from DOH alcohol is available after departure. The cabin crew decide when departure is. For some it is when you board the aircraft, for others closing the doors, others pushback and yet others after take-off. Where alcohol is permitted on the flight then it will be served by the glass, the bottle remaining in the galley. Pre departure alcoholic drinks as well as in flight drinks will normally be served on flights to/from DOH where alcohol is permitted. There may be exceptions. In 2023 AMM, AUH and SHJ served alcohol, on flights, at least some of the time. The AMM lounge also served alcohol. (See post 382)
In every respect, other than alcohol, service is unchanged throughout QR. BUT where alcohol is available it is not normally on display, but served by the glass from the bar or galley and sometimes needs to be requested..
Duty free alcohol is available at QDF. But there may be restrictions such as delivery to the aircraft door.

How does Ramadan affect The State of Qatar?
If you leave the airport during Ramadan please remember
1) the sale and public consumption of Alcohol is banned by law during Ramadan. In several, but not all, hotels alcohol may be obtained by residents from room service.
2) It is extremely offensive, and in some Muslim countries, including Qatar, a criminal offence, to be seen eating, drinking, smoking or chewing gum in public during the period of fasting.
According to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...madan/overview
"If you need to drink or eat, please do so in the privacy of your own room or in a place where you won’t be seen."
If you need to eat or drink please do it discretely and out of sight of others.

Want to know more?
If you want more information then http://marhaba.qa/ramadan-dos-and-donts-in-qatar/ is specific to Qatar. If you are also interested in health issues then A_guide_to_healthy_fasting is worth looking at, not only for health issues.

This Wiki and thread is about how Ramadan affects QR passengers.

Thanks are due to IAN-UK, Lobengula, RUN4FUN, sharp5flat9, SullyofDoha, VH-RMD and others for help in making this as accurate as possible.

Print Wikipost

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
If memory serves me correctly, last year, the public restaurant bars in the airport were serving booze while the lounges went dry. This seemed more like a cost cutting measure by Qatar Airways using Ramadan as a cover for its actions.
Or, possibly, since the lounges, QR and the airport are all owned one way or the other by the government, as opposed to privately owned, perhaps they are a bit more observant of the religious restrictions.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
When does Ramadan end?
It lasts for one complete moon cycle, usually 29 or 30 days.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi, was there last year - unfortunately the airport will be dry. You'll get your drink in the airplane though

Btw, latest is that Ramadan will probably start on the 6th based on the UAE moonsighting committee.
Does that mean Ramadan starts at sunset on the 6th? If yes, I'll be one very happy camper on my 8 hour layover in the AS lounge!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Does that mean Ramadan starts at sunset on the 6th? If yes, I'll be one very happy camper on my 8 hour layover in the AS lounge!
No that means the first day of Ramadan will be on the 6th, meaning fasting will start from sunrise.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Any chance you can change your ticket to EK via Dubai

Big benefit is that DXB is more adopted to Westerners as a whole so you'll get alcohol practically everywhere after sunset, and potentially (not 100% sure but I think so) the whole day in airport lounges.

The lounge in Doha will be - in my experience - less crowded than on other days, but this is less caused by not serving alcohol but more by a general weakness of Intra-MENA travel during Ramadan (first days of Ramadan might be busy though as many locals fly out to cities like Paris or London).
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Any chance you can change your ticket to EK via Dubai

Big benefit is that DXB is more adopted to Westerners as a whole so you'll get alcohol practically everywhere after sunset, and potentially (not 100% sure but I think so) the whole day in airport lounges.

The lounge in Doha will be - in my experience - less crowded than on other days, but this is less caused by not serving alcohol but more by a general weakness of Intra-MENA travel during Ramadan (first days of Ramadan might be busy though as many locals fly out to cities like Paris or London).
It will be quieter in general as the vast majority of those living in Qatar who will be fasting do not travel during this time.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Ben_W
No that means the first day of Ramadan will be on the 6th, meaning fasting will start from sunrise.
That still gives me hope as my flight arrives around midnight on the 5th and I leave around 8 am on the 6th!
Old May 1, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
That still gives me hope as my flight arrives around midnight on the 5th and I leave around 8 am on the 6th!
They WILL still feed you in the lounges during the day. Why you would still feel the need to eat and drink between midnight and 8am when you already have flights with food and booze is odd. Bigger issue would be to get your head down for a nap.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:58 pm

Must be a lot of odd people around. Lounges have countless folks eating and drinking at these times.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:59 am

I'm currently in the AS lounge. The staff confirmed that they will stop serving at midnight on the 5th.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha

They WILL still feed you in the lounges during the day. Why you would still feel the need to eat and drink between midnight and 8am when you already have flights with food and booze is odd. Bigger issue would be to get your head down for a nap.
Surely it depends on the person? Some might prefer to sleep and eat lightly on the previous flight.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
Let’s do our best and try to finish all open VCGD before midnight. Just helping to reduce the drain pour.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), IHG Platinum Elite, HH Diamond
Flights to Doha

I'm a little confused about the situation on flights to DOH, and the wiki is potentially telling me three quite different things. Forgive the long question but I'm trying to piece together all the bits. Could someone kindly enlighten me and update the wiki accordingly?

On the one hand it says about alcohol: "Nor is it available on most flights to muslim countries (even as far as TUN and ALG).Certain muslim countries, such as Malaysia, are regarded as multicultural countries and the in-flight alcohol ban does not apply."

Reading this, I assume there is no alcohol on flights to DOH, since Qatar is a muslim country. However the very next sentence refers to "all other flights from DOH", which suggests that the info above might only apply to flights departing from DOH to other muslim countries, and it therefore tells us nothing about flights to DOH. It's not clearly specified, so I'm puzzled whether the in-flight alcohol ban applies on flights to DOH or not.

Further down it says "Pre departure alcoholic drinks will normally be served on flights to DOH where alcohol is permitted."

This part is blowing my mind. This is the only sentence referring to flights towards DOH. I'm trying to understand it. I think there are three different ways to read this.

Option 1: So there's an in-flight ban after take-off to DOH (being a flight to a muslim country) but they can serve pre departure drinks depending on the departure airport? That would be consistent with everything else in the wiki. Is that really what it's saying? If there was really no alcohol on any flights to DOH, I think it's important enough to spell out explicitly, and I probably would have read it somewhere in the thread. So this might be the right interpretation but I can't be sure.

Option 2: There are flights to DOH where alcohol is permitted (NB nowhere in the wiki does it say this... in fact it implies the opposite, since Qatar is a muslim country). And on those flights not only will there be in-flight alcohol, but also a pre-departure alcoholic drink. If this is the case, which flights to DOH permit alcohol? Is it the same rule as on the outbound from DOH, so that all the text about in-flight alcohol bans on flights "to muslim countries" is really talking about flights "to and from other muslim countries"

Option 3: Is it actually saying "Pre departure alcoholic drinks will normally be served on flights to DOH, where alcohol is permitted"? The only difference here is a comma which completely changes the meaning, so it would now say that alcohol is generally permitted on flights to DOH, regardless of where they're coming from. Again, this is one way of reading it but the comma makes all the difference.

So, can anyone kindly clarify for me? Is it 1, 2 or 3? Or have I missed another option entirely? Again, please forgive the long post but the question is a fairly fundamental one!

Thank you in advance!
Old May 5, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
I'm @ AM now, peace and quiet. Free flow of Rose Taittinger. I remember few years back, they cut the supply day before Ramadan.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Please remember that for a Muslim the day is from sunset to sunset.
If the new moon is sighted just after sunset 5th May then Ramadan has started and the laws regarding Ramadan in Qatar are in force and alcohol will be removed from display. However given QRs adherance to the 'Knowledge is power' policy the lounge staff on duty will very likely not have been informed of the need to remove all alcohol from the bar..So alcohol may be available until the end of the shift (Midnight?) But availability may cease earlier as temppa reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.