Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
Ramadan is a holy month to Muslims and also a joyous and spiritual time. I am concentrating upon that which most affects Non-Muslim QR passengers during Ramadan.

When is Ramadan?
Because the Muslim´calendar is a lunar calendar the date in the Gregorian, or solar, calendar changes every year. Each year it is about 11 days earlier than the previous year.
Ramadan 2017 was 27 May to 25 June.
Ramadan 2018 was16 May to 14 June.
Ramadan 2019 was 6 May to 4 June.
Ramadan 2020 was 24 April to 23 May.
Ramadan 2021 was 12 April to 11 May.
Ramadan 2022 was 2 April to 2 May.
Ramadan 2023 wss 22 March to 23 April.
Ramadan 2024 is 10 March to 9 April.
Ramadan 2025 is 1 March to 30 March.
Ramadan 2026 is 18 February to 19 March.
Ramadan 2027 is 8 February to 9 March.

When does Ramadan actually start?
The Muslim day starts at sunset and continues to sunset. Sightings for the new moon are taken at sunset and when sighted the month of Ramadan has started. Fasting begins later in the Muslim day at sunrise. Thus if Ramadan starts on June 6th then it is the sighting of the new moon at sunset on June 5th that marks the official start. Tha actual start date may be different due to the fact that we live on a globe and it takes 24 hours to rotate on its axis! The dates quoted are for Qatar.

Are there exceptions to the rules?
There are exceptions to fasting rules such as the aged, sick, pregnant women, travellers, etc.
Some branches of Islam demand payment of a fine or a penance, such as feeding the poor, for breaking the fast whilst other branches do not. In some branches of Islam travellers may voluntarily choose to continue fasting whilst other branches forbid fasting whilst travelling.

When does Fasting take place?
Most agree that the times of fasting are from Sunrise to Sunset. Others use Dawn and Dusk. The latter could cause serious health problems for those who live at latitude 48.5 or greater. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight for an explanation.

How does Ramadan affect QR?
QR adheres to the rules of Ramadan as required by the State of Qatar.
Food is always available inside the airport and on all flights. This is because of the traveller rules.
Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is NOT available at Hamad International Airport either inside or outside the airport buildings, even at the Airport hotel. However in 2023 alcohol was being served in at least the Al Safwa and Al Mourjan airport lounges. At the moment it is not known if this also applied to other lounges. Pleas look at this years postings to see other lounges also served alcohol.

Alcohol is not available on most flights to/from muslim countries. Certain muslim countries, such as Malaysia, are regarded as multicultural countries and the in-flight alcohol ban does not apply. On all other flights to/from DOH alcohol is available after departure. The cabin crew decide when departure is. For some it is when you board the aircraft, for others closing the doors, others pushback and yet others after take-off. Where alcohol is permitted on the flight then it will be served by the glass, the bottle remaining in the galley. Pre departure alcoholic drinks as well as in flight drinks will normally be served on flights to/from DOH where alcohol is permitted. There may be exceptions. In 2023 AMM, AUH and SHJ served alcohol, on flights, at least some of the time. The AMM lounge also served alcohol. (See post 382)
In every respect, other than alcohol, service is unchanged throughout QR. BUT where alcohol is available it is not normally on display, but served by the glass from the bar or galley and sometimes needs to be requested..
Duty free alcohol is available at QDF. But there may be restrictions such as delivery to the aircraft door.

How does Ramadan affect The State of Qatar?
If you leave the airport during Ramadan please remember
1) the sale and public consumption of Alcohol is banned by law during Ramadan. In several, but not all, hotels alcohol may be obtained by residents from room service.
2) It is extremely offensive, and in some Muslim countries, including Qatar, a criminal offence, to be seen eating, drinking, smoking or chewing gum in public during the period of fasting.
According to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...madan/overview
"If you need to drink or eat, please do so in the privacy of your own room or in a place where you won’t be seen."
If you need to eat or drink please do it discretely and out of sight of others.

Want to know more?
If you want more information then http://marhaba.qa/ramadan-dos-and-donts-in-qatar/ is specific to Qatar. If you are also interested in health issues then A_guide_to_healthy_fasting is worth looking at, not only for health issues.

This Wiki and thread is about how Ramadan affects QR passengers.

Thanks are due to IAN-UK, Lobengula, RUN4FUN, sharp5flat9, SullyofDoha, VH-RMD and others for help in making this as accurate as possible.

Print Wikipost

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Alcohol is again served by the bottle on board and available at the Al Mourjan bar
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Ramadan has now finished and Eid Al Fitr has started so all Ramadan restrictions have ceased.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Some
Thought I would give this thread a poke given Ramadan 2018 is now almost upon us. Will be interesting to see if policies will be exactly the same this year as previous years (I imagine so), as there will probably be a lower percentage of Muslim travelers on many routes this year given the still ongoing blockade.
sjoh1271 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:42 am

Word on the street is that the start date will be Wednesday (16th) or even Thursday (17th) and unlikely to be Tuesday.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Word on the street is that the start date will be Wednesday (16th) or even Thursday (17th) and unlikely to be Tuesday.
Looks like the street has got it right. But it would be tasteless to suggest placing bets ...

Moon Watch :: An Einstein Year Project

This uses a methodology developed by Bernard Yallop for assessing the ease with which a new moon might be seen on any given date from the surface of earth - and identifying the areas from which a sighting just isn't going to be possible. Atmospheric conditions and elevation clearly come into play at the outer edges of the zones of visibility.

May15th looks like being the final day of Shaban for Qatar, with the16th a shoe-in for the start of Ramadan.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:23 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm flying DPS - DOH - OSL on May 23rd, does this mean alcohol will not be served on the first leg?
Old May 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
I'm flying DPS - DOH - OSL on May 23rd, does this mean alcohol will not be served on the first leg?
Should get alcohol during your flights, just not on the ground in Doha.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Thought I would give this thread a poke given Ramadan 2018 is now almost upon us. Will be interesting to see if policies will be exactly the same this year as previous years (I imagine so), as there will probably be a lower percentage of Muslim travelers on many routes this year given the still ongoing blockade.
Flying TUN-DOH next week (May 24) and judging by posts these mid-haul flights to Muslim majority destinations have not had alcohol served on board in the past. I'm praying for a miracle change to QR policy this time round!
Old May 15, 2018, 10:11 am

Not starting tomorrow, will be Thursday
Old May 15, 2018, 3:01 pm

I've just arrived at Al Mourjan bar. Alcohol is still available. Bubbly is Lanson (white and rosé) and was Pommery and Drapier (rosé) on board (KUL-DOH). I'm happy that Ramadan is not starting tonight, as I'm flying to TUN this morning ;-)
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Tried to search the thread but could not find any info if they close the on-board bar on their A380 during Ramadan or is it busines as usual?

I have a BKK-DOH evening flight coming up and it’s be nice to grab a couple of drinks at the bar.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I asked a flight attendant who manned the bar on a recent flight. From memory the bar is open but they do not display the alchol. How that works , given the large number of varities of drink is beyond me. However , I guess a person makes a conscious choice to enter the bar area.
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by AnttiV
Tried to search the thread but could not find any info if they close the on-board bar on their A380 during Ramadan or is it busines as usual?

I have a BKK-DOH evening flight coming up and it’s be nice to grab a couple of drinks at the bar.
A380 bar remains open during Ramadan and serves alcohol. The only difference is that there's no alcohol bottle on display.
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4

A380 bar remains open during Ramadan and serves alcohol. The only difference is that there's no alcohol bottle on display.
That has been my experience in the past.
AnttiV likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is alcohol served during pre-departure on the ground?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.