Search
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Boeing 777-300ER: seating Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow Boeing 777-300ER: seating Q&A

This thread is for all your questions (and answers) regarding the best, the worst, the noisiest, the quietest seats etc etc on board QR’s fleet of Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

The QR Source interactive seat map. The QR Source has additional seat maps for the 24J/356M and 42J/293M variants configured 3-3-3 in economy.

You can follow the progress of QR’s 777 refit programme in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html thread. Its wiki contains an up-to-date summary of each configuration.

Related thread discussions:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...3-y-cabin.html

Quick links to the full suite of QR seating Q&A threads:

Note: A320, A321, A330, and A340 threads will be launched in the near future

Last edited by Prospero; May 1, 2016 at 4:39 pm Reason: add links to related threads
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:38 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The Business Class Cabin

Business Class passengers will turn right upon boarding both layouts of the 777-300.

There are two different configurations for the Business Class cabin - depending on whether your aircraft has 24 seats, or 42 seats. A quick look at the Seat-Map, within Manage My Booking, will help you decipher which layout you'll be aboard.

A 24-seat 777-300
Seats on a 24 seat Business Class cabin aircraft, are configured as 2-2-2. All seats offer the same in terms of legroom, however Row 4A/4K are missing one window, and as such only offer one (opposed to two) windows to look out.

The seats are totally flat, although some FTers have pointed out that there is a small hump at shoulder-level when the seat is flat. Each seat is equipped with a large IFE screen, and a Power-Outlet, as well as a USB slot for charging devices (or watching content through the screen).

A 42-seat 777-300
The sole difference between these larger Business Class cabin aircraft, and their friend above, is the addition of 3 extra rows of Business Class behind the second door.

A Solo-Flyer
As a solo-flyer, the best will depend on what you enjoy. If you prefer to look out of the window, select any of the A/K seats (but remember that Row 4 is missing one window). If you prefer direct-aisle access, pick any of the B/E/F/J seats; but bear in mind if you are in a B/J seat, your neighbour will have to hop over your legs to access to the aisle.

Between the seats, is a small divider. It does not offer much by way of privacy when seated upright, but is fine for sleeping.

For those sat in Rows 1 and 4, there may be potential disturbance from the galley, in the form of light and noise. Additionally, there are 2 bathrooms either ahead, or behind, which will likely be used throughout the flight. While there is a curtain to prevent noise and light, the curtain is of a lighter material than those found on the A380/A350/B787.

For those sat in Row 5 (on a 42 seat aircraft), you may encounter the same issues as those in Rows 1 and 4.

For those sat in Row 7 (on a 42 seat aircraft), you may encounter disturbance from the bassinet seats in the first row of the Economy Class cabin. As such, you may be disturbed by the noise of infants enduring a tough flight. Please be considerate to those in that situation, as flying is not easy for young ones.

A Couple
If you are travelling as a couple on this aircraft, you're in luck. Many FTers have said that the 777 is their favourite aircraft when travelling with a partner.

Similar to the advice above, the best seats will depend on what you prefer. However, most couples opt for the A/B and J/K seats as it allows for both window, and aisle access.

As a couple, you will easily be able talk to one-and-other from the comfort of your seat, and QR crew are able serve your meals so that you can eat at the same time.

Above seats 1E/1F, on the bulkhead, is a large information screen. This stays on throughout the flight, offering a roaming map perspective. As such, this may become intrusive.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Apr 5, 2016 at 5:28 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The Economy Class Cabin

Economy Class passengers will turn left upon boarding both layouts of the 777-300.

There are two different configurations for the Economy Class cabin - depending on whether the cabin ends in Row 43, or Row 50. A quick look at the Seat-Map, within Manage My Booking, will help you decipher which layout you'll be aboard.

In the Economy Class cabin, all A, D, and K seats may have limited legroom and storage space underneath the seat due to the presence of an entertainment equipment box under the seat in front. The armrests in the Economy Class cabin do not rise entirely.

A 43 Row 777-300
With 316 seats in the Economy section on these aircraft, the seats are mostly configured in a 3-4-3 layout.

Most seats are the same, in terms of legroom and comfort, however, some are better than others.

Seats 12D, 20D, and 32D are the pick of the bunch, due to their additional legroom compared to other seats within the cabin. Although you will find an IFE box present, the additional legroom makes up for the inconvenience.

Rows 10, 18, and 30, all have additional legroom due to their proximity to the Doors. While it may be a little colder than the other rows, due to air flowing from the door, the legroom makes it very comfortable.

Rows 17 and 29 have limited recline due to the galley being situated behind these rows. Furthermore, the light and noise from the galley (close to these rows), and bathrooms, may be tiresome.

Row 43 should be avoided wherever possible, due to the galley, limited recline, bathrooms, and general location at the back of the aircraft.

A Row 50 777-300
With 388 seats in the Economy section on these larger aircraft, the seats are mostly configured in a 3-4-3 layout.

Most seats are the same, in terms of legroom and comfort, however, some are better than others.

Seats 12D, 27D, and 39D are the pick of the bunch, due to their additional legroom compared to other seats within the cabin. Although you will find an IFE box present, the additional legroom makes up for the inconvenience.

Rows 10, 25, and 37, all have additional legroom due to their proximity to the Doors. While it may be a little colder than the other rows, due to air flowing from the door, the legroom makes it very comfortable.

Rows 24 and 36 have limited recline due to the galley being situated behind these rows. Furthermore, the light and noise from the galley (close to these rows), and bathrooms, may be tiresome.

Row 50 should be avoided wherever possible, due to the galley, limited recline, bathrooms, and general location at the back of the aircraft.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Apr 4, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Many thanks Prospero and msm2000uk - very helpful!

I guess Y passengers turn right when boarding?

I have chosen rows 2 and 3 for flights next month, choosing the middle pair so that we both have aisle access.

These rows seem best to avoid possible noise from either galley?

I know there is no bar area like on other QR aircraft, but is there any area where one can help themselves to drinks and snacks?

Thank you.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Many thanks Prospero and msm2000uk - very helpful!

I guess Y passengers turn right when boarding?

I have chosen rows 2 and 3 for flights next month, choosing the middle pair so that we both have aisle access.

These rows seem best to avoid possible noise from either galley?

I know there is no bar area like on other QR aircraft, but is there any area where one can help themselves to drinks and snacks?

Thank you.
I tend to board the planes walking backward, hence I turn left into economy . Well spotted - and now changed!

I flew to BKK earlier today on a 777 in 2B, and flew 2 weeks ago in 3E. Both were fine, and I slept very well. In neither seat was I disturbed by the galley, and found them great seats

In terms of a snack area, there isnt a designated area (that I've seen), but the staff always have something to offer, so I wouldn't worry. I can honestly say, that I never go hungry on QR flights!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:00 am

Thanks for a useful thread..especially as based on my limited data points the use of the 777 seems to be growing...first AMS-DOH was switched from 787 to 777 and today I get a myflights notification that DOH-JNB has suffered the same fate (seems to be for the 'middle of the night' departures from 1 June).
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

I tend to board the planes walking backward, hence I turn left into economy . Well spotted - and now changed!
msm200uk - now you're confusing me about which way passengers turn upon entering the aircraft to access either Business or Economy cabins.

Surely it depends upon which door you access the aircraft? For example in CAI QR generally board 777 Business Class passengers at 2L so you would then turn left (or even right if it is a 42J rather than a 24J variant). For Economy Class passengers boarding is through the rear door.

Could you please re-read your statements in your above posts as I believe they may mislead some people. Great job though - thanks to both you and Prospero.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:42 am

How long left before all your amazing 9 abreast 77W's are converted into 10 abreast?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Faisal777 no one really knows but there are many guesses, some more informed than others. My guess is 'As fast as Doha Maintenance can refurbish them.'
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
One of my flights had changed from a 777-200LR to a 777-300ER.

In J, is there any material difference in the product?

Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
One of my flights had changed from a 777-200LR to a 777-300ER.

In J, is there any material difference in the product?

Thank you.
No noticeable difference...there is a separate Seating Thread for the 777-200 within the Forum.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the posts and the introduction of the dashboard, really very useful and appreciated.

I would clarify that the seats 12D, 20D and 32D (43 row) or 12D, 27D, and 39D (50 row) do not have an IFE box in front of them. The seats immediately in front are very slightly misaligned, there is a 'handle' in front of your face and there is a risk of the trolley / other passengers brushing your legs if you stretch out, but I found the extra legroom very comfy.

I also note that in the exit rows, seat C (and I presume seat G also) also risks interaction with the trolley / other passengers, because the passageway at the galley / toilets is not aligned with the aisle so the trolley has to manoeuvre around your legs. But there is a lot of room there.

I hope these photos show what I mean.
Attached Images   
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
msm200uk - now you're confusing me about which way passengers turn upon entering the aircraft to access either Business or Economy cabins.

Surely it depends upon which door you access the aircraft? For example in CAI QR generally board 777 Business Class passengers at 2L so you would then turn left (or even right if it is a 42J rather than a 24J variant). For Economy Class passengers boarding is through the rear door.

Could you please re-read your statements in your above posts as I believe they may mislead some people. Great job though - thanks to both you and Prospero.
Thanks PtF

I didn't realise that QR had destinations where J passengers board the 777 through 2L.

I've only travelled on routes where they board through both 1L, and 2L (predominately for Y).

Interesting to note though, so shall duly update.

Best,

M
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the useful info. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so I apologize in advance if not. My wife and I are flying JFK-DOH-JNB on the 777 and 787. I'm 6 ft tall and almost 300 lbs. On reading the thread above I noticed that the arm rests do not go up completely. On the seats with the extra legroom mentioned above do they have the IFE screen in the armrest thereby making the seat narrower and preventing the armrest from going up?
Any recommendations on a good seat for a man of my size? Cold air, noise won't bother me once I'm asleep.
Also as a side point does anybody have any knowledgeable guesses as to the fullness of the over night 777 flight from JFK to DOH on a Wednesday night in Oct, meaning is there a good chance will be able to lay across 3 seats to sleep (sorry don't have the money for J) or are these flights pretty full generally.
Thanks so much for your help.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
No noticeable difference...
Thanks.

Pleased to know that there is no major difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.