Airbus A380: seating Q&A

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by impeymac
In basic terms, yes.
Also in complex terms, yes.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Travelling DUB-DOH-PER with the missus and junior in dreaded Y. I miss the days of J, but wife and kids come first, so they say!

Booked flight today. Already got assigned 10H/J (787) on the DUB-DOH & DOH-DUB which are bassinet seats but the DOH-PER & PER-DOH flights are in row 51.

If I call call centre now will I get the bassinet seats or do I have to wait until check in at DUB?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by energydj
Travelling DUB-DOH-PER with the missus and junior in dreaded Y. I miss the days of J, but wife and kids come first, so they say!

Booked flight today. Already got assigned 10H/J (787) on the DUB-DOH & DOH-DUB which are bassinet seats but the DOH-PER & PER-DOH flights are in row 51.

If I call call centre now will I get the bassinet seats or do I have to wait until check in at DUB?

You need to contact customer service for a bassinet seat. Don't wait until check in.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
just got off a ride on the Qatar Airways Airbus A380-800 in seats 66A, 66B and 66C. This was a comfortable row to sit and lie on.

joorinainen likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Matt4

Yes but QR will cancel the UD seat selection for non status passengers 72 hours prior to the flight. So you should arrive early at airport (3 hours or more) to ask them to put back your companions on UD before someone else grab these seats.
I am watching seatmaps and have a potential indication (number of seats taken) that UD Y seats are available during check in for non-elites.now. Can anyone elaborate?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Keter
I am watching seatmaps and have a potential indication (number of seats taken) that UD Y seats are available during check in for non-elites.now. Can anyone elaborate?
How can you now that these UD are taken by non status passengers ? You just need the lowest status with any OneWorld airline (OneWorld ruby equivalent) to be eligible for an UD seat. And if the flight is full/almost full QR IT will also allocate UD seats to non status pax.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Hey all,

Does anyone have experience booking the Upper Deck Y seats with companions? I'm OWS but my travel companion(s) are not, will I be able to select seats on the UD for passengers in the same PNR? Some carriers "extend" the status to pax on the same reservation but I was wondering if QR did that too. Thanks!
Data point: I booked flights to BKK at the end of September for me (BA Silver) and my girlfriend (no status) travelling last week. On both the LHR-DOH and return sectors on the A380, I selected seats 27AB on the upper deck and these stuck right through to check-in at the airport. Neither flight was full in economy, although the upper deck economy cabin was very quiet on the way out but entirely full on the way back.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Took both DOH-PER and PER-DOH legs on -APA.

I was in 75C but the IFE wouldn't work so they moved me to 50G and was thankful I got off early enough.

On the way back with OH was in 75F/G, nice bit of legroom but the aim would be for row 43. That front end cabin feels more private.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Quick question on the J cabin - are the two toilets at the front of the cabin accessible for business class passengers? I ask as I usually sit towards the front of the plane but on a recent Emirates A380 flight realised the only toilets were at the rear of the cabin which was a pain for my less than mobile mother.

Thanks
Crowe

Last edited by crowe; Dec 8, 2018 at 3:01 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I was told by a check-in agent at the airport that the upper deck Y section is a kids free zone.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:14 pm

Was wondering if anyone had flown in the last row business class (adjacent to bathrooms and bar), and had any complaints about light / noise from the section behind?
Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by innesst
Was wondering if anyone had flown in the last row business class (adjacent to bathrooms and bar), and had any complaints about light / noise from the section behind?
Thanks
I always only choose the last row on A380. No problem whatsoever with the proximity to bathroom or bar. The only problem is the bathroom at the back close to the bar is TINY!
Bathroom in front of the cabin is bigger if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just been booked on a trip that needed to be in Y (sigh...) and will be doing it on QR 788 and 388. On the 388, I would have normally gone for an UD window but none are free! (re-sigh!)

What would you choose between:

On the UD
30B
25J

On the LD
40C
68D (not tempting me as much but I know a lot of people like it)

And on the 788 (double yikes as I have tried Y on the 787 on other airlines and disliked it a lot!) is 10K a good choice?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: SQ PPS - M&M SEN - QR Platinum - ITA Executive - IC Diamond Ambassador
Any more recent data point on treatment of UD seat selection for status pax travelling with non-status pax family? Currently Gold member, by the time of travelling probably Platinum travelling with my non-status wife and kids. Don't want to be bumped to any random LD seat at T-72...
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:47 am
Suspended

I can't comment on the treatment of status pax travelling with non-status family on the UD, but I can confirm that QR do move non-status pax from the upper deck even if they have paid the extra fees for those seats. My guess is that doesn't bode well for non-status family members.

For our recent flights (QR909 and QR3) we had paid months in advance to reserve 26AB on the UD. I think it was around 250AUD each for the SYD-DOH leg, and 150AUD each for the DOH-LHR leg, so all up about 700-800AUD for the trip. My partner isn't a great traveller, so thought it worth the cost to have the comfort of the UD without anyone next to us. We couldn't check in online, and then I noticed a day before our flight we'd lost our seat confirmations. Tried calling QR who were typically unhelpful, and told us to sort it with the check in agent. Unfortunately our domestic connection was a bit late and so I didn't get to the check in counter in time to try and resolve it (was there 3 hours before, but obviously by then there's a big queue for Y). The check in agent was obviously trying to get thorough hundreds of passengers, so didn't give two sh*ts, and just told us to call QR for the refund. My partner and I ended up on the lower deck, not sitting together, me in a middle seat, but thank god she at least got an aisle. Not a great experience for a 24 hour journey!

Anyway, I think the moral of the story is, obviously no seat is ever guaranteed, but be extra cautious with the QR upper deck. Even if you've paid the seat selection fees, it's not a guarantee you won't be bumped. So make sure you are vigilant as departure day approaches, and get to the check in desk as early as possible if they've bumped you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.