Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Airbus A380: seating Q&A

Old May 10, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Team,

I'm flying LHR-DOH-BKK and back at the start of July in Y and now have A380s all the way except the last leg (788 for my sins) - Am currently in the throne seat 68D for the first legs and 26J for DOH-BKK. Can anyone recommend if the upper deck is worth sacrificing the bonus legroom? Am 6'6" so normally the extra legroom overrides but have heard that QR reserve the upper deck Y cabin for elites and it's less of a cattle market. Otherwise will see how I fare on the outbound and change the return to the upper deck if I find it preferable (and report back )

Cheers!
Old May 10, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Doccykins
Hi Team,

I'm flying LHR-DOH-BKK and back at the start of July in Y and now have A380s all the way except the last leg (788 for my sins) - Am currently in the throne seat 68D for the first legs and 26J for DOH-BKK. Can anyone recommend if the upper deck is worth sacrificing the bonus legroom? Am 6'6" so normally the extra legroom overrides but have heard that QR reserve the upper deck Y cabin for elites and it's less of a cattle market. Otherwise will see how I fare on the outbound and change the return to the upper deck if I find it preferable (and report back )

Cheers!
Doccykins welcome to the QR forum.

Unless the lower deck is completely full you need to have status (PC Gold or Platinum, Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald or pay the full Y fare and, depending upon loading, sometimes PC Silver) to be seated on the upper deck.

If you do not have status and there is room on the lower deck you will be moved to the lower deck inspite of your seat reservation 26J.

Upper deck has fewer seats (2-4-2 as opposed to 3-4-3 on the lower deck) and it is said by some greater legroom and is much quieter and more ambient than lower deck.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:51 am

I'm BA Gold so shouldn't be turfed out, should have said!
Old May 13, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Doccykins : forget about the cattle hold and just go for upper deck. You should be able to get a front row (25) with good legroom or exit row (30) with a huge (about 2 meters) legroom, during the 72 hours before the flight as they are sometimes unblocked during that time (just set a seat alert on ExpertFlyer) or at airport check-in if you arrive early (first come first served).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:28 am

Just secured 25B for both outbound flights by phoning at T-72 before the DOH-BKK leg so 68D is null and void, tried for 30 but was told I need to present myself at check-in to be given an exit row seat. Thanks for the advice remdk & Matt4 ^
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:20 pm

Some photos of seat 68D. Nice because there's actually a seat in front so you still get a pocket for your magazines or whatever.

(Doccykins, I may have stolen your seat...I was on the same route LHR-DOH-BKK July 3)

Old Jul 8, 2017, 2:27 am

Indeed giblet, LHR-DOH I bagged row 30 at airport checkin which had plenty of room in front of me but not much up top to put my carryon. Luckily I boarded early and had no-one next to me so wasn't sharing the central overhead.

For DOH-BKK I got a gate Op-Up to J (14K) so very pleased with QR
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Doccykins
For DOH-BKK I got a gate Op-Up to J (14K) so very pleased with QR
Desperately jealous! Do you have status? It was an unbearable flight in Y (as I've already complained about). Do you do this route often? Is it always packed on the DOH-BKK segment?

(Feel free to take this to the linked thread so we can stay on topic here)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by giblet
Desperately jealous! Do you have status? It was an unbearable flight in Y (as I've already complained about). Do you do this route often? Is it always packed on the DOH-BKK segment?

(Feel free to take this to the linked thread so we can stay on topic here)
We must have had a different DOH-BKK leg as mine was the same A380 as the LHR-DOH (QR830) - I'm BA Gold so Oneworld Emerald. First time flying QR in Y and first Op-up outside of BA. Second time doing DOH-BKK as I used it as a tier point run in the front CAI-DOH-BKK in April but had the day flight that time. Just about to board today's QR831 but noticed a couple of days ago that it's been subbed out for a 777. Row 18 this hop and 30 again for the QR5 (which again I think is a 777 but better that than the 788 it was originally meant to be!)

(Sorry mods, back to A380 chat now )
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Has anyone noticed the "pre-select dining" option? Not sure if it's new or not.

Hadn't seen it before, then again my upcoming trip will be a first on an A380.

-

'Introducing Pre-Select Dining
Ensure that your world-class dining experience is tailored to your taste by reserving your main course from 14 days and up to 24 hours prior to boarding your flight.
We are introducing a new service for our First and Business Class passengers flying on our A380 from Doha — Pre-Select Dining — allowing you to select in advance your main course from our on-board menu.
Our on-board la carte menu and signature dining-on-demand service remain available throughout your flight'
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JasperT
Has anyone noticed the "pre-select dining" option? Not sure if it's new or not.

Hadn't seen it before, then again my upcoming trip will be a first on an A380.

-

'Introducing Pre-Select Dining
Ensure that your world-class dining experience is tailored to your taste by reserving your main course from 14 days and up to 24 hours prior to boarding your flight.
We are introducing a new service for our First and Business Class passengers flying on our A380 from Doha Pre-Select Dining allowing you to select in advance your main course from our on-board menu.
Our on-board la carte menu and signature dining-on-demand service remain available throughout your flight'
Interesting!

Whereabouts is the option displayed please? I have an A380 DOH-LHR in early October & the only pre-select dining options I can find through MMB are the usual dietary one's (can't find anything on the main site either).

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...bile_site=true

Found some FAQs here - slightly bizarre! Maybe it hasn't yet launched?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by purple1addict
https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...bile_site=true

Found some FAQs here - slightly bizarre! Maybe it hasn't yet launched?
Aha! That answers a few questions, thank you.

Looks like you can only choose 14 days in advance, so we shall see!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: qr
It was advertised on an IOS update on the QR app that pre selected dining options would be available via the app as well . Perhaps agin it's only 14 days out or less that option becomes available and only on A380 flights
Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by impeymac
Interesting!

Whereabouts is the option displayed please? I have an A380 DOH-LHR in early October & the only pre-select dining options I can find through MMB are the usual dietary one's (can't find anything on the main site either).

Cheers.
DOH - CDG leg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.