Wiki Posts
Search

New 777 3-4-3 Y Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
New 777 3-4-3 Y Cabin

Has anyone flown the QR 777 with the new 3-4-3 cabin in Y yet? Is it as awful as it sounds?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: QR Gold
yes and yes to an extent, the seats are thinner and it makes the cabin look bigger in my view. Not a fan, but as gold nearly always had a empty seat next to me - so it's not so bad...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:12 am

Yes, I have. DOH-JFK in February.

It's very squeezy (but I guess not much different to other carriers with the 3-4-3 config in Y). The aisle is just about wide enough for the food cart.
Lots of passengers were trying to pull their cabin bags through and kept bumping the bags into the aisle seats. I was lucky enough to get a bulkhead seat at OLCI ... but... it was babies galore on that flight!

If you need legroom, absolutely try to score a bulkhead or exit row seat!
Failing that, the other option is to try for e.g. 12/20/32D as there is no seat in front of it (i.e. the left side of the aircraft has a wee bit more space in the front of every Y cabin). Protect your legs when the food cart comes through tho!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:02 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Today QR2 was suddenly switched to a 3-4-3 around 12 hours before the actual flight, found out about the seatmap change when I checked back hoping for something of that sort to not happen.

Will post back - snagged 12G before the others find out about the change! Certainly doesn't seem like it is going to be any comfortable at all...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for replies, my A380 flight from LHR had been swapped for a 777 with this new config. Annoying as I had snagged 27A/B on upper deck.

Managed to switch flights to the earlier 8am A330. Does anyone know if the A332 and A333s have received a refurbished Y cabin in addition to the new J seats?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:34 pm

Wing0A according to th Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html some have and some have not. "*Some of the reconfigured A330 aircraft have new seats and IFE in economy and some have refreshed original economy seating/IFE". Which ones the Wiki does not say.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:23 pm
zsc

Originally Posted by Wing0A
Thanks for replies, my A380 flight from LHR had been swapped for a 777 with this new config. Annoying as I had snagged 27A/B on upper deck.

Managed to switch flights to the earlier 8am A330. Does anyone know if the A332 and A333s have received a refurbished Y cabin in addition to the new J seats?
Some do, some don't as mentioned above. However, expect little difference in Y on either.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

thank you
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I did fly the B777/300ER in 3/4/3 several times flying EY.
I switched to QR in order to avoid the 3/4/3 777 altogether and to fly A380 and 787/800 mostly in J that is, I did not enjoy the 787 in Y.
But AMS is cheap and have 2 777 in J and 2 in Y planned this year.
Not fancying the J 2/2/2 neither.
I'll watch out for seats when OLCI time....
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by flyingbubbles

If you need legroom, absolutely try to score a bulkhead or exit row seat!
Failing that, the other option is to try for e.g. 12/20/32D as there is no seat in front of it (i.e. the left side of the aircraft has a wee bit more space in the front of every Y cabin). Protect your legs when the food cart comes through tho!
I just noticed the seat map shows the first 2 rows as 3-3-3 (which is why 12/20/32 are better)
Is this actually accurate? If that's the case, wouldn't a 3-3-3 row be better, or is the space simply a missing seat in front of 12D (so row 11 is still narrow even though it's only 3 across in the middle)?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:18 pm

the other option is to try for e.g. 12/20/32D
This is really useful information, thanks flyingbubbles. On the seat map provided by QR it implies that the front two rows of each partition have 3 central seats on the left as D,E,F. In fact, it looks like they are aligned right (i.e. E,F,G) so the D seat has more leg room (and a tray table and IFE that come out of the arm rest).

I managed to find a photo of the layout in case that is helpful to anyone, around 12 - 14 photos down in a random TR.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I just noticed the seat map shows the first 2 rows as 3-3-3 (which is why 12/20/32 are better)
Is this actually accurate? If that's the case, wouldn't a 3-3-3 row be better, or is the space simply a missing seat in front of 12D (so row 11 is still narrow even though it's only 3 across in the middle)?
Yes, the first 2 rows are 3-3-3 but the seats are the same size all through the cabin. There is a space in front of 12D. 11DEF lines up directly in front of 12EFG.
So there's just a bit more aisle space on the left side of the aircraft in the first 2 rows.

You're welcome, konagirl2!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:39 am
zsc

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Yes, the first 2 rows are 3-3-3 but the seats are the same size all through the cabin. There is a space in front of 12D. 11DEF lines up directly in front of 12EFG.
So there's just a bit more aisle space on the left side of the aircraft in the first 2 rows.

You're welcome, konagirl2!
Having sat in 12G I feel as though the seats in front are just misaligned ever so slightly - I had to put my feet towards 12F. Not sure if it is just me or that there is a misalignment somewhere that's too subtle to notice
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club, Air Tanzania Twiga Club
I was surprised by how comfortable the new seats were. I am quite tall 188cm and found the leg room excellent, and improved over the older versions due to the slimline seats and no entertainment boxes under window seats. Also the seat arms go all the way up so if there are empty seats you can now stretch out properly compared to the old seats which only went up 60 degrees.
I did notice alot of misaligned seats especially towards the back. I was in 39a, and 39c was noticeably closer to the seat in front.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Moztel6900
I was surprised by how comfortable the new seats were. I am quite tall 188cm and found the leg room excellent, and improved over the older versions due to the slimline seats and no entertainment boxes under window seats. Also the seat arms go all the way up so if there are empty seats you can now stretch out properly compared to the old seats which only went up 60 degrees.
I did notice alot of misaligned seats especially towards the back. I was in 39a, and 39c was noticeably closer to the seat in front.
I haven't tried the seat but got the same feedback from people who travelled on them, some didn't even notice that they added a new row just commented on the bigger legroom and the more modern looking seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.