45 minute transit @ Doha

Old Mar 11, 16, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Angry 45 minute transit @ Doha

Hello, I can't decide wether to book the Almaha Gold Transit Service or not! We're flying Qatar Airways economy from Edinburgh to Hanoi via Doha and our tour operator has booked us onto flights with a 45 minute transit time

Anyway, our chosen seats are at the front of economy, we land at 1am at Doha and will pack a change of clothes in our hand luggage etc. BUT we will still have to queue at security/passport control so would it be worth paying for the Fast Track assistance? I know we will be given a yellow/orange travel wallet but I have read that sometimes this doesn't make an difference!

Any advice welcome
Old Mar 14, 16, 12:46 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Assuming that you are on one ticket all the way to your final destination (otherwise such short transfer time at DOH is too risky) you will be fine. If you misconnect - which is unlikely unless your inbound flight is seriously delayed - QR will take care of you. No need to book premium transfer services, which most likely does not make any significant difference in terms of connection time.
Old Mar 14, 16, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Welcome to FT, Smiley2!

I wouldn't bother with the premium transfer service; it doesn't really make much difference to the speed with which you transfer. Connections at DOH are surprisingly efficient. I've seen and been involved in the process, and it really goes go very fast. If you are booked on one ticket you'll be within MCT, and I'm sure that Qatar will get you on the next flight on time.
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Smiley2.

As this is specific to QR, we'll move your query to the QR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 17, 16, 5:35 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
My May return flight BRU-DOH-BKK also got a shortened transit change to 45 minutes. I rather preferred the 2 to 2.5h previous transits I had with Al Mourjan lounge visit.

What worries me in case of mis-connection are the fresh foods in my luggage and the domestic ticket on Thai Smile. I will book an expensive J ticket (thank you QR) which allows change of schedule at least 4h in advance.

I have 6 DOH transits booked:
1 45 min
1 50 min
1 60 min
1 75 min
2 120+min

I can miss the extra stress, will see how it all goes, not booking anything in the coming 6 months at least
Old Mar 17, 16, 8:50 pm
EdC

Programs: BA Silver, Accor + Hilton Gold, YHA Life member
Originally Posted by tartempion View Post
I will book an expensive J ticket (thank you QR) which allows change of schedule at least 4h in advance.
Assuming you're not that bothered about the J class seat and just want the flexibility, might it be cheaper to buy a couple of Smile Promo tickets, one to connect with the following BKK flight?
Old Mar 18, 16, 4:21 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Hmmm, 14.35 is the one, next 17.40 next 19.20 each at 1.150B, Next QR to BKK 832 landing 19.00, that's a no go same day, thus first one out next morning.
Two 1150 against 1 J at 3280 with lounge access and 10kg extra (maybe they show some leeway for J, I always drag around 50kgs) Promo ticket no ROP mileage accrual (although I wonder what's the use, seems I lost silver status)

Thank you for mentioning (made me check WE schedule), think I will buy a J ticket. I would really be unhappy to have to overnite around Swampy, the Novotel is too expensive.

Edit: Not buying a domestic ticket ex BKK is also a possibility, in case of missed connection find hotel near DM and book ticket with one of the LLC airlines for early next morning.

But I rather hope all will go smoothly, guess Ill go for the J domestic ticket.

Yes, I know .... happens: last year was on a BRU-FRA-CPH-DOH-BKK (for the Globetrotter campaign)
BRU plane was ready to go when a passenger decided to disembark, took time and more time to locate his luggage, after one hour finally ready lost arrival gate at FRA, captain went very upset, did manage to get us out BRU 15 minutes later. I had a vision of missing all connections, but still on time for FRA-CPH, gate was 1 gate away from where we gated.

Last edited by tartempion; Mar 18, 16 at 4:35 am
Old Mar 18, 16, 4:36 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Smiley2 View Post
Hello, I can't decide wether to book the Almaha Gold Transit Service or not! We're flying Qatar Airways economy from Edinburgh to Hanoi via Doha and our tour operator has booked us onto flights with a 45 minute transit time

Anyway, our chosen seats are at the front of economy, we land at 1am at Doha and will pack a change of clothes in our hand luggage etc. BUT we will still have to queue at security/passport control so would it be worth paying for the Fast Track assistance? I know we will be given a yellow/orange travel wallet but I have read that sometimes this doesn't make an difference!

Any advice welcome
You say this as if it's the Tour Operator's fault - the reality on that route is that you have either a 45 minute connection, or a 24 hour 45 minute connection - which would you prefer?

QR say it's a perfectly adequate connection, your connection is guaranteed (in terms that they will look after you if you miss the connection), and i've managed 45 minutes at the old airport with no issues.

At the new airport there will be no problems 95% of the time. Unlike say LHR, EDI will have no problems getting you away. My last 2 connections in DOH were 2 hours and 3 hours, and I honestly was so bored. I think I could have made the connections in 15 minutes.

Worry not, QR will have you covered.
Old Apr 25, 16, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sam Bee View Post
You say this as if it's the Tour Operator's fault - the reality on that route is that you have either a 45 minute connection, or a 24 hour 45 minute connection - which would you prefer?

QR say it's a perfectly adequate connection, your connection is guaranteed (in terms that they will look after you if you miss the connection), and i've managed 45 minutes at the old airport with no issues.

At the new airport there will be no problems 95% of the time. Unlike say LHR, EDI will have no problems getting you away. My last 2 connections in DOH were 2 hours and 3 hours, and I honestly was so bored. I think I could have made the connections in 15 minutes.

Worry not, QR will have you covered.

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, I'm just getting used to using the forum.
Old Apr 25, 16, 10:33 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Gold
Connection in Doha

Smiley2 - I fly from EDI to middle east and beyond with QR 1-2 times a month - I quite often have 45 min transit - only once have they bumped me off the next flight but they'd already decided that before we were wheels down and somebody was waiting for me.

I'd have to say that transit can be longer than you'd think - it's a big airport, and unless you're premium class or using Al Maha the queues can be big - you're right - the 'rapid transit' wallets mean almost nothing! Over half the people in the airport will have them - however if you're VERY tight for time go to the premium transit lane in the centre and show them your boarding card - hit and miss who you get as to whether they let you through. But as other bloggers say - likelihood is they will be waiting for you on the next flight anyway, as long as you dont take the p*ss with how long you take through the airport!

Another point - there's no passport control on transit just bag screening... but you dont need to take everything out your bags - just pop it in the tray and take everything off your person so that you don't beep and you're done!

But trust me - in Y class with no lounge - 45 mins is WAAAAAY better than any long transit!
Old Apr 25, 16, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theox View Post
Smiley2 - I fly from EDI to middle east and beyond with QR 1-2 times a month - I quite often have 45 min transit - only once have they bumped me off the next flight but they'd already decided that before we were wheels down and somebody was waiting for me.

I'd have to say that transit can be longer than you'd think - it's a big airport, and unless you're premium class or using Al Maha the queues can be big - you're right - the 'rapid transit' wallets mean almost nothing! Over half the people in the airport will have them - however if you're VERY tight for time go to the premium transit lane in the centre and show them your boarding card - hit and miss who you get as to whether they let you through. But as other bloggers say - likelihood is they will be waiting for you on the next flight anyway, as long as you dont take the p*ss with how long you take through the airport!

Another point - there's no passport control on transit just bag screening... but you dont need to take everything out your bags - just pop it in the tray and take everything off your person so that you don't beep and you're done!

But trust me - in Y class with no lounge - 45 mins is WAAAAAY better than any long transit!
Thank you!! We've transited through Doha many times (Old and new airport) but at a leisurely pace! I just really could do without the stress of making the connection. (It doesn't make for a very relaxed G&T on the first flight!) Great to know that you fly from Edinburgh. We're not fit people (My husband has cancer although he's in remission at the moment) and I can imagine us absolutely legging it through the airport to the next gate once through bag screening!!

How much do they help on the ground? I've read that some passengers are met off of the first flight if it's late but I guess that can only be if you have Al Maha services. The thought behind booking Al Maha would be that they can apparently tell the staff at the next gate that we were there and were on our way and also that they could get us through the transit lane part. BUT this is a very expensive way to do this and worthless if our flight from EDI was late!
Old Apr 25, 16, 11:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
A warm welcome to Flyertalk, both to Smiley2 and theox.

I hope you'll find the site a useful resource, and look forward to reading your contributions.

45mins at Doha is perfectly fine (the MCT used to be 35mins such was their confidence).

In terms of your potential brisk stroll through the airport, one suggestion (to avoid the pricey Al Maha option) would be to book Assistance Support.

If the airport know you're coming, they will push you/shlep you by buggy to Security, and then the next gate. Once you're on the ground, the pressure will be on the Ground Support, and they tend to be very helpful.

Safe travels, and enjoy FT!

M
Old Apr 25, 16, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

So sorry but what is an MCT? Thank you for the welcome - I wish I had found this forum years ago!

We don't need Assistance Support though? Isn't that for people who can't walk etc? (With broken legs etc) My husband looks fitter than me at the moment.
Old Apr 25, 16, 12:54 pm

Smiley2 according to the glossary available via a link at the bottom of his page MCT is "Minimum Connection Time".

Since your husband is under medical treatment it is perfectly in order to request non-wheelchair assistance. (in order to avoid stress!)
Old Apr 25, 16, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Smiley2 View Post
So sorry but what is an MCT? Thank you for the welcome - I wish I had found this forum years ago!

We don't need Assistance Support though? Isn't that for people who can't walk etc? (With broken legs etc) My husband looks fitter than me at the moment.
MCT is defined as Minimum Connection Time - namely the amount of time the airport feels it needs, to transfer passengers and their bags to their next flight.

In terms of Special Assistance, I would select the option. It will provide you with a wheelchair/buggy which can be quicker than walking. Secondly, you will totally skip the security line (as they will put you both at the very front).

While the latter is a tad cheeky (if not 100% required), I feel it might be useful to save you time. Plus, and not to contradict myself, but with a Husband recovering from cancer (I hope the remission remains), I think you are within your rights to request and use the service.

Safe travels,

M

Search this Thread
Search Engine: