FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR silver luggage question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1750895-qr-silver-luggage-question.html)

eastflyer123 Mar 4, 16 11:42 am

QR silver luggage question

Currently I am silver with QR PC, due for Gold after my next flight next week.

With the extra luggage allowance, would I be able to use it against oversized luggage or does it apply to just cases?

I have seen a nice antique chair which I want to bring to London from DXB/DOH/LHR. I'm probably taking liberties but you never know...

Thanks

remdk Mar 4, 16 12:34 pm

Eastflyer123 IF the chair and its packaging measure less than 300 cm then it is permitted luggage. If you are PC silver then you have 10 kg. extra baggage allowance. (15 kg. for Gold). Thus your baggage allowance is 40-45 kg. in Y and 50-55 kg. in J. Your tier bonus is in addition to the weights given below.

Flights to and from all other destinations
First: 50kg (110lb) and a maximum dimension of 300 cm (118in)
Business: 40kg (88lb) and a maximum dimension of 300 cm (118in)
Economy:30kg (66lb) and a maximum dimension of 300 cm (118in)
Maximum dimension = length + width + height

SENNINHA Jun 7, 16 2:06 pm

I read somewhere that luggage has to be 32 kg max.
What about the number of luggages allowed ?

remdk Jun 7, 16 2:54 pm

SENNINHA no single item of luggage may exceed 32kg. This is pretty much an industry standard.
provided that your flight is not based on the Piece concept you may have as many items of baggage as you wish.
If your baggage allowance was 30kg then you could take 30 1kg boxes as luggage, provided that they are suitable for the rigors of flying in the hold! But who would want to do that?
Remember the more weight you use for suitcases and other packing the less 'useful' weight you will have.

SENNINHA Jun 7, 16 3:37 pm

Thanks remdk
So i understand the additional luggage works when the flight is based on piece concept, and the extra 10 or 15kg for the other flights.

remdk Jun 7, 16 4:04 pm

SENNINHA
If you are PC Silver then you will be allowed an extra 10kgs under the weight concept. If you have to use the piece concept Silver does not entitle you to an extra piece. I do not know if when flying economy you will be allowed to exceed the 23kg maximum per piece. Flying Business or First you already have the maximum 32kg per piece anyway.
If you are PC gold then it is either 15kg or 1piece extra.
If you are PC Platinum then it is either 20kg or 1 piece extra.
These PC extra allowances are in addition to the standard baggage allowance for your flight. But again maximum 32kg per item.

SENNINHA Jun 8, 16 1:10 am

copy that thanks again

tmac100 Jun 8, 16 3:10 am

I have a RT Economy flight DOH-DXB next week end. I understand that, as OW Silver, I have an extra 15 kg of baggage allowance bringing my total to 45 kg. Is this true, or am I mistaken? If not true, then ignore the next para - and this message. :rolleyes:

If true, why cannot I have my total baggage allowance shown on MMB as the 45 kg? It shows 30 kg which is the normal allowance for Economy flights.

TIA for your FT help. ^

stargold Jun 8, 16 3:22 am

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 26746600)
I have a RT Economy flight DOH-DXB next week end. I understand that, as OW Silver, I have an extra 15 kg of baggage allowance bringing my total to 45 kg. Is this true, or am I mistaken? If not true, then ignore the next para - and this message. :rolleyes:

If true, why cannot I have my total baggage allowance shown on MMB as the 45 kg? It shows 30 kg which is the normal allowance for Economy flights.

TIA for your FT help. ^

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/extra-baggage-allowance

So yes, you will be getting 15kg extra as BAEC Silver (=Sapphire).

MMB on most airlines rarely show the extra allowance from FFP. The allowance shown is usually what is stated on the ticket.

tmac100 Jun 8, 16 4:22 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 26746625)
..... snip .......

MMB on most airlines rarely show the extra allowance from FFP. The allowance shown is usually what is stated on the ticket.

Thanks for this. I have never worried about the extra allowance due to BAEC Silver / OW Sapphire, but I may need the extra allowance this time. :D

BUT, on a recent reservation with AC (Economy) within Canada, my A3 Gold status was recognized on the e-ticket and showed 3 bags of 32 kg each (in Economy). Normally in Economy AC charges for bags - unless you have status. This difference between AC showing and QR not showing the additional allowance explains why I sent in the question.

remdk Jun 8, 16 4:40 am

tmac100 your ticket shows the standard baggage allowance for your journey. Any extra allowance is not shown on your ticket so you have to add the extra yourself.

Your ticket shows what you have PAID for. Any 'free of charge' extra allowances are of no concern to the ticket.

These extras vary dynamically according to many factors and it would be extremely difficult to accurately state them on your ticket. To take a simple example: For some reason you lose your BAEC Silver status, and thus your OW Sapphire status, the day before you fly. Your extra 15kg would also disappear but if it was on the ticket you would be getting 15kg you were no longer entitled to because it was on your ticket. Or the reverse: You achieve Silver after the ticket is issued so your ticket only shows 30kg and if the extra kgs were included on your ticket you are stuck with 30kg whilst being entitled to 45kg.

And it gets extremely complicated when multiple carriers or codeshare are involved.

purple1addict Jun 8, 16 12:50 pm

My ticket always shows 30kg when I travel QR Economy and I regularly check in 50kg (OWE = extra 20kg).

The check-in agents don't do much as bat an eyelid! :D

Gracehoper Nov 29, 16 4:19 pm

How does the 300cm maximum work?

I see opinion here is that number of pieces should not be a problem but then how does that 300cm maximum apply? It could limit the pieces e.g. 2 pieces at 75x45x25 comes to 290cm. A third piece would exceed 300cm.

Unless, the dimensions are of the whole bunch of pieces together? That would mean if they could all fit within a cubic metre they are under 300cm.

remdk Nov 30, 16 12:27 pm

Gracehoper welcome to FlyerTalk and the QR forum. Using the dashboard you should be able to find much useful information and hints.

In terms of QRs baggage rules the size restrictions apply to each piece individually in the 'piece' concept whereas the maximum dimensions apply to all your items combined as one in the weight concept.

In your example, using the weight concept, place the two pieces together and you have 75x45x50 = 170. Were the two pieces of different size then the calculation would be the largest width plus the largest width plus the combined depths since it is the size of the combined pieces. You could have up to 1 cbm. but there is almost always waste space due to differing sizes.

You also need to take account of the fact that a single item of luggage must not exceed 32 kg.

Gracehoper Nov 30, 16 9:20 pm

Thank you for that, remdk.