Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Welcome to the best place to discuss your issue or complaint about QR.

Here on the QR Forum, we have seen and helped FTers with many different complaints, issues, and problems with Qatar Airways.

The official QR Contact line do not tend to show too much creativity in problem resolution, and can be a little slow.

The best options, are either through Twitter, or by email below.

So, before messaging QR directly ([email protected]), why not share your problem here, and see if we can assist?
Print Wikipost

Complaints / Rants / Problems with QR

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Angry First Anniversary of the Greatest act of Fraud in FF History, well Done Qatar

Today, May 27, 2019 marks the first anniversary of the greatest act of fraud ever committed by an airline against its frequent flyer members.

For on this night, on this day, in the secret of night, in a clandestine way, without notice, without warning, Qatar Airways, a Middle-Eastern carrier, devalued the FF program to make it virtually worthless. Many of us, who were loyal members, gave all our business to this Middle-Eastern airline, were robbed overnight.

So what was so bad you ask?

They doubled the number of points you need for any award flight.

They closed down the call-centre so you could not call.

They reduced to almost laughable proportions the number of seats available for awards.

Dare to book an award ticket and even if you are Platinum, you are NOT using the main QR Business Lounge. They will punt you to the grossly inferior One World Lounge.

They increased by over 100% the airline fees.

In some cases they call them "Taxes". I recently tried to claim an award ticket, the taxes were horrendous and I asked for a breakdown of the taxes and charges. The response was that they were unable to do that. What! Check this out: On Feb 16, 2019, at 21:57, [email protected] wrote: Dear Mr. W, Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business. We have gone through your email and we are sorry to learn of your disappointment. We are aware of the expectations of our customers and certainly try our best to meet these. It is never our intention to cause you discomforts of any kind. We would like to inform you that due to system limitation, we are unable to provide the tax break. Please be informed all airports around the world have Airport Surcharges that are collected along with the taxes paid. These taxes and surcharges vary from country to country depending on city of departure and place of ticket issuance. (Please note taxes are subject to change) ....... We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Do let us know if we can assist you any further. Sincerely, Rahul Bhati, Privilege Club Team.

They hide the taxes. I insisted on getting the breakdown for legal reasons and eventually it was forthcoming. And guess what, they were not taxes at all, they were "Carrier imposed charges". In other words, not taxes, just a greedy money grab hidden under the auspices of "Tax". In most jurisdictions in the western world, calling a fee a "tax" and then not paying the tax is highly illegal. Imagine doing the same thing in the USA or Australia or UK? Jail time guys.

What else on May 27?

Oh yes, they introduced a "Fee" on top of everything else, a per sector charge for having the hide to claim an award booking. Average is $ USD 50. Oh, that's OK you say! Oh, no no no! this is a Middle-Eastern airline going broke..... try on average $ USD 50 per sector. So let's say you fly from DEL-DOH-JFK-DOH-DEL. That's 4 sectors, so overnight, without warning this new impost was added. An additional $ USD 200 that was not required on May 26th 2018. Thanks suckers.

And this applies to Platinums, Golds and Silvers as well. Their most loyal customers.

The same loyal customers who supported these people through thick and thin. When UAE embargoed and boycotted the state of Qatar and refused to allow QR to fly in their air space. I was there. I remained loyal.

And Saudia Arabia did the same embargo, boycott.

Egypt the same. Bahrain the same. But we stuck with them. And yet Qatar Airways, still disrespected their most loyal members, devaluing the investment we had made in the airline and threw loyalty out the window and imposed these increases on us, overnight, without warning,

The thing that did my head in more than anything was the way they did it.

Secretly. Overnight. Without warning. Bang! Pillage the program and throw Loyalty out the door. But the worst of all, they had the hide, the sheer audacity to call it "Enhancements". Holy cow, “Enhancements"!

And try and book a Partner Award. LOL.

First of all you "request" a flight. You'll struggle to find what you want. It is so limited since the great devaluation of May 27th 2018.

And then the request goes in. Then they make you wait 48 hours. And guess what, the greedy things take the points immediately. Instantaneously, before you even know whether your wish has been granted.

Eventually they might grant a ticket. And if you are granted your wish, LOL, the points required are so ludicrously high, and the taxes, fees and Qatar's money grab are more than they would be if you purchased the ticket outright, especially on short-hauls around Asia. And double what the charges were before May 27th 2018, that great day of shame and infamy for this airline.

Of course with most airlines you can book partner awards online, decide the options for yourself and book it immediately. Not with Qatar Airways. They changed it so they are in control. They like being in control and all have us obey.

( One time, I booked, they took the 40,000 points for a flight one way J CMB-DEL using One World partner UL ( yes, 40k right! not a mistake and $ USD 236 in taxes ). I waited 3 days and was told there were no flights available. This was 6 months ahead of time. But they still took the points from the account. 1 month later while I was doing an audit on my QR account, the points had not been credited back. So I called and they advised that even though I could not get a 3 hour flight 6 months ahead of time ( laughable ) and even though they had stolen the points, I had to request them back as Missing Miles! “It’s up to you sir….."WT….

So shame on you Qatar Airways.

I understand from sources, the program has lost thousands of members since the great day of shame May 27th 2018. I have slowly moved all my business from this untrustworthy airline, Qatar Airways, to another One World carrier.

In 2016 I did 29 flights with Qatar all in Business or First, 157,800kms.

In 2017 I did 61 flights with Qatar all in Business or First, 335,700kms.

Before May 27 2018, in 2018 I did 30 flights with Qatar all in Business or First, 167,600kms ( in 5 months )
All paid, maybe 3 or 4 award flights, but the vast majority all paid out of my own pocket. No company expense account.

So I was investing in this airline by supporting them, flying with them, and doing business with them. And what do they do in return? Without warning, without notice, overnight! They screw me and steal from me.

Since May 27 2018, I have done only 8 flights and all of them award bookings. I'm using up the points I have left and then they can go and steal from someone else. These people will never ever get another cent or dirham of my money. They are recalcitrant and that is being very, very, kind.

Desperate businesses take desperate measures. And this airline is desperate. All those years of lying to the US Authorities about how profitable they were. Remember that? Remember the lies they told. Remember AA, UA and DL saying so and none of us believed them. This is an airline bleeding billions of USD every year. Supported by the government of Qatar. And in breach of the agreement they have to be able to fly to the USA.

And what do they do? They attack their most loyal customers, the ones supporting them, they call it enhancements.

What is so sickening about this act of corporate theft is that it is a great airline once you step onboard. Once you step foot inside one of their aircraft ( A330 and A340 are the exceptions LOL ) it is a flying experience like no other. How does the same airline get it so right on-board and yet is a complete and utter cluster-f with their frequent flyer program and the on-ground service ? It's got me beat.

And until I get an apology, in writing, from these recalcitrants, no more business from me. I guess they won't care one iota, they have a Sheikh to prop them up for the stupid and ill-informed decisions the management is making.
NoY, witthuus, no7agency and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Very well said !

Since that infamous day, when they showed their loyal customers what they really thought of us, I've only purchased tickets where the price was exceptionally-low, so not very much ! And I've exhausted my pre-booked flights, and used-up my Qmiles, now just one one-way trip to go.

Meanwhile I've booked several return-trips on other OneWorld carriers, and the local star-alliance operator, rather than continue to be abused by QR.

Yet I would far rather have continued to use Qatar Airways, as the OP says the in-flight service (even in Economy) is fine, and it would also have shown my continued support for the state of Qatar, as they stand-up to the unfair bullying/blockade by their neighbours.

It takes real talent, to drive away so many loyal customers, at a time when the business desperately needs their continued support !

Shame on them !
Old May 27, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
Very well said !

Since that infamous day, when they showed their loyal customers what they really thought of us, I've only purchased tickets where the price was exceptionally-low, so not very much ! And I've exhausted my pre-booked flights, and used-up my Qmiles, now just one one-way trip to go.

Meanwhile I've booked several return-trips on other OneWorld carriers, and the local star-alliance operator, rather than continue to be abused by QR.

Yet I would far rather have continued to use Qatar Airways, as the OP says the in-flight service (even in Economy) is fine, and it would also have shown my continued support for the state of Qatar, as they stand-up to the unfair bullying/blockade by their neighbours.

It takes real talent, to drive away so many loyal customers, at a time when the business desperately needs their continued support !

Shame on them !
Not even found cheap flights with them you have no idea about how p***ed off I get when I get ads from them offering cheap flights that are way above the cost with other decent airlines. For me the killer was that with upgrades (my main use of the miles) you do not get the lounge access - personally not bothered about the baggage.
Richard Bell and Alfredbali like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:26 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Brilliantly said @RabbitohRob :-:
Old May 27, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Good heavens! I'm all for calling someone (or some company) out if they play unfairly, but we need to be fair, too. So in the interests of fairness....

Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
They doubled the number of points you need for any award flight.
Don't the terms and conditions say that they can make changes whenever they want? Like all other airline and hotel FFPs? When the airline makes a mistake, we try to hold them to the rules, why shouldn't they also be permitted to play by the rules?

They closed down the call-centre so you could not call.
Now reopened.

They reduced to almost laughable proportions the number of seats available for awards.
On routes I fly, this has improved since then; but your experience may well be different.

Dare to book an award ticket and even if you are Platinum, you are NOT using the main QR Business Lounge. They will punt you to the grossly inferior One World Lounge.
As numerous reports on FT as well as my own personal experience attest, awards initially booked in J have full access to Al Mourjan. The restriction is for Y tickets which have been upgraded with QRPC or other FFP currency.

The thing that did my head in more than anything was the way they did it. ... Secretly. Overnight. Without warning. Bang!
Lots of businesses raise prices without advance notice to customers.

Of course with most airlines you can book partner awards online, decide the options for yourself and book it immediately.
AA has some notable gaps in this space, as well.

I understand from sources, the program has lost thousands of members since the great day of shame May 27th 2018. I have slowly moved all my business from this untrustworthy airline, Qatar Airways, to another One World carrier.
Count me among them, but for a different reason. I now credit all OneWorld travel to AAdvantage, because the earn/burn ratio, after analysis, is so much better there. But I still fly QR a lot because IMO the soft product can't be beat.

Well, I do think that your analysis and anger is a bit over the top compared to what actually happened; but I, like you, no longer credit to QRPC, as I said. OTOH I've never had a problem with the support I've received on the phone.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:29 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Good heavens! I'm all for calling someone (or some company) out if they play unfairly, but we need to be fair, too. So in the interests of fairness....

Don't the terms and conditions say that they can make changes whenever they want? Like all other airline and hotel FFPs? When the airline makes a mistake, we try to hold them to the rules, why shouldn't they also be permitted to play by the rules?

Now reopened.

On routes I fly, this has improved since then; but your experience may well be different.

As numerous reports on FT as well as my own personal experience attest, awards initially booked in J have full access to Al Mourjan. The restriction is for Y tickets which have been upgraded with QRPC or other FFP currency.

Count me among them, but for a different reason. I now credit all OneWorld travel to AAdvantage, because the earn/burn ratio, after analysis, is so much better there.

Well, I do think that your analysis and anger is a bit over the top compared to what actually happened; but I, like you, no longer credit to QRPC, as I said. OTOH I've never had a problem with the support I've received on the phone.
I suspect your views & experiences are in the minority (& even if they are not, it's feutile to dispute the core of RabbitohRob's post cos its true!)...@:-)
Old May 27, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Question

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
Very well said !

It takes real talent, to drive away so many loyal customers, at a time when the business desperately needs their continued support

Shame on them !
100% mate. I want to fly them. I love flying with them on-board. Exactly. And I loved the line "It takes real talent to drive away so may loyal customers....." But FFF ( Frequent Flyer Fraud ) who know what these folks are thinking?

But I am thinking, there is a plan they have. They'll buy Gulf Air and merge. They'll shut down the respective programs. Probably overnight and without warning.

And they'll live happily ever after knowing they wiped off Billions of dirhams in Liabilities off their collective books. And yet, we'll still do business with them.

Go figure !
Richard Bell and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:36 am

Now reopened.

Count me among them, but for a different reason. I now credit all OneWorld travel to AAdvantage, because the earn/burn ratio, after analysis, is so much better there. But I still fly QR a lot because IMO the soft product can't be beat.

Thanks for the feedback man, appreciate you taking the time. Good to have open discussion I say. Have a good day mate. And happy flying.
Dr. HFH and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:45 am

"Qpoints Sale - you need 0 qpoints to renew your emerald tier, but you can buy some etc etc"

Why does this still come up every time I log in?

(Probably a whinge rather than a complaint / rant / problem)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
"Qpoints Sale - you need 0 qpoints to renew your emerald tier, but you can buy some etc etc"

Why does this still come up every time I log in?

(Probably a whinge rather than a complaint / rant / problem)
Have you tried a different browser? Otherwise it's just bad coding.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
Have you tried a different browser? Otherwise it's just bad coding.
Thanks. Yes it's the same on different devices, different browsers, with or without cookies deleted. They really want to sell me some 😊
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:18 am
NoY

No champagne served at boarding (on the ground) in Business at Paris CDG this week - oh the irony of it - "Paris regulations sir" - the CSD said - I called BS on that & he then smiled & agreed it was QR policy...but they tried to spin it....what the!!...... Its just QR being cheap. Again.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoY
Its just QR being cheap. Again.
No possibility that it's something else? QR certainly isn't being cheap with the champagne at Al Safwa, IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:47 pm
NoY

No possibility that it's something else? QR certainly isn't being cheap with the champagne at Al Safwa, IMO.
No. No possibility, the question was asked & answered.
Oh &.....this is absolutely nothing to do with Al Safwa @:-)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoY
Oh &.....this is absolutely nothing to do with Al Safwa @:-)
Right. It was just an example of QR not being cheap.
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.