Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Does QR return cater many mid/long-haul routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:27 pm
gms
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond

I flew from Colombo to Doha in J. However, for pre-flight drinks there was no brut champagne available. The excuse given was that it had all be used on the inbound flight. It seems the same applied to the non-alcoholic 'So Jenny' option.

So is it common for QR to return cater on such routes? Surely the crew should ensure some supplies are kept for the return leg, if they cannot be replenished during the turnaround? Not sure if it's worth complaining to QR about this.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I've had the same issue flying from Oslo to Doha, I got the one and only Glenfiddich 15 left in business class, the crew said that was the only one left over from the flight to Oslo
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by gms
I flew from Colombo to Doha in J. However, for pre-flight drinks there was no brut champagne available. The excuse given was that it had all be used on the inbound flight. It seems the same applied to the non-alcoholic 'So Jenny' option.

So is it common for QR to return cater on such routes? Surely the crew should ensure some supplies are kept for the return leg, if they cannot be replenished during the turnaround? Not sure if it's worth complaining to QR about this.
That's beyond pathetic for J and you should definitely complain.

If they do not replenish on the ground in CMB, then the supplies for the return flight should be kept segregated.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:51 am
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyyme
That's beyond pathetic for J and you should definitely complain.

If they do not replenish on the ground in CMB, then the supplies for the return flight should be kept segregated.
I've sent off a complaint. I will feedback what they say.

This is peak season for travel to CMB and a route I regularly fly so it is not uncommon for these flights to be full. I see no reason as to why a "5-star" airline cannot arrange top-ups from caterers at CMB. It seems they are just cutting more corners these days and over the last year I have definitely noticed the impact this is having on quality and service. I think it's time they dropped the "5-star" claim.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Alcool is cater for return from DOH. Unfortunatly the available space is very limited on some aircraft (B787, A320/321) hence shortage problems are frequent.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Abyssin
Alcool is cater for return from DOH. Unfortunatly the available space is very limited on some aircraft (B787, A320/321) hence shortage problems are frequent.
Then it should be segregated as one bottle DOH-CMB and one bottle for the return or whatever.

They are effectively saying "passengers inbound drank too much"!

If they are selling J product they need to be able to deliver it, irrespective of space on the plane. I believe it's a 346 to CMB now.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gms
I think it's time they dropped the "5-star" claim.
They pretty much have... Probably in anticipation of all the downgrades and I would imagine knowing they may lose the 5 star Skytrax rating by going 10 abreast in the 777. Their new tagline is "Going Places Together".
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:55 am
gms
Original Poster

Wow. On every route? That's crazy.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:03 am
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyyme
Then it should be segregated as one bottle DOH-CMB and one bottle for the return or whatever.

They are effectively saying "passengers inbound drank too much"!

If they are selling J product they need to be able to deliver it, irrespective of space on the plane. I believe it's a 346 to CMB now.
Correct, it's generally a 346. So given it's around a 4.5 - 5 hour flight each way, if they can't load sufficient catering on this type of long-haul aircraft I think they need to rethink their entire catering strategy.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:10 am
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
They pretty much have... Probably in anticipation of all the downgrades and I would imagine knowing they may lose the 5 star Skytrax rating by going 10 abreast in the 777. Their new tagline is "Going Places Together".
They still quote the 5 star claim in various places on the website. But I appreciate that the QR website seems to have about a 6 month lag between reality and it being updated

Their new tagline is so bland and generic. I hope they didn't pay some agency to think that up for them!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by gms

I think it's the same with BA. Airlines usually get away with it but on some routes they have a problem, for example London-Las Vegas with many drinkers. I remember some discussions that BA is forced to have bar restrictions on that route.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by gms
Maybe not if you hold the country's monopoly on alcohol ?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by gms
It seems they are just cutting more corners these days and over the last year I have definitely noticed the impact this is having on quality and service. I think it's time they dropped the "5-star" claim.
Wow, my experience is totally different. In November and December, I flew QR a lot. 2 flights in Y (BKK-DOH and DOH-JNB), 3 in J (DOH-LHR, JNB-DOH and DOH-BKK) and 2 in F (DOH-CDG-DOH). This was my first experience with QR. I found it to be a totally 5* carrier, especially compared to the rest of OW. QR J was far better than BA F IMO. And CX? I fly CX F a lot (HKG-BOS/JFK and return); and QR F beats CX by a mile, IMO.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:07 am
gms
Original Poster

So here is the response I received from QR Customer Care:
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment that your choice of drink was unavailable on board [flight details removed]. While we endeavour to uplift a balanced number of beverage choices on board our flight, it is evitable that in some occasions, the demand of a specific drink is higher than what is available.

We truly appreciate your taking the time to write to us and share your comments on our services. Constructive feedback plays a vital role in highlighting problem areas and enables us to improve our services. Comments such as yours are an important part of this process. Please be assured that we have highlighted your feedback to our Catering department and Cabin Services team for their information and reference.

Once again, we sincerely apologise if the service provided did not meet your expectations. We look forward to serving you again onboard one of our flights in the near future under more pleasing circumstances.
Clearly a cut-and-paste reply. "it is evitable that in some occasions, the demand of a specific drink is higher than what is available" well, I guess that is especially true when the supply of their most popular drink is zero before the flight even starts!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by gms
So here is the response I received from QR Customer Care:
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment that your choice of drink was unavailable on board [flight details removed]. While we endeavour to uplift a balanced number of beverage choices on board our flight, it is evitable that in some occasions, the demand of a specific drink is higher than what is available.

We truly appreciate your taking the time to write to us and share your comments on our services. Constructive feedback plays a vital role in highlighting problem areas and enables us to improve our services. Comments such as yours are an important part of this process. Please be assured that we have highlighted your feedback to our Catering department and Cabin Services team for their information and reference.

Once again, we sincerely apologise if the service provided did not meet your expectations. We look forward to serving you again onboard one of our flights in the near future under more pleasing circumstances.
Clearly a cut-and-paste reply. "it is evitable that in some occasions, the demand of a specific drink is higher than what is available" well, I guess that is especially true when the supply of their most popular drink is zero before the flight even starts!
You should flummox the copy paster by asking why it was not available to start with!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.