Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can they check the luggage in through?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Can they check the luggage in through?

So I am travelling in February to IAD and have a connecting flight on AA the same day after 3 hours to MSP. Can QR check my luggage in through to MSP from NBO or do I have to go to the baggage claim, pick the baggage and check it in at IAD. These are 2 separate tickets btw.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
So I am travelling in February to IAD and have a connecting flight on AA the same day after 3 hours to MSP. Can QR check my luggage in through to MSP from NBO or do I have to go to the baggage claim, pick the baggage and check it in at IAD. These are 2 separate tickets btw.
Please note that you have to collect your baggage at 1st port of entry in the US (and clear customs), regardless of whether it is checked through or not.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
By policy, yes. In practice, it depends whether the agent at NBO knows how to do this.

In any case, answer #2 applies.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Please note that you have to collect your baggage at 1st port of entry in the US (and clear customs), regardless of whether it is checked through or not.
And despite having to pick the bags up, go through customs and re-deposit the bags, if the bags are not tagged through, you will be liable for AA's domestic baggage fees which are $25 for first bag and $35 for the second when you check in to MSP.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by saveri
And despite having to pick the bags up, go through customs and re-deposit the bags, if the bags are not tagged through, you will be liable for AA's domestic baggage fees which are $25 for first bag and $35 for the second when you check in to MSP.
Not if you show that you just came through from an international flight.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Even if on two separate tickets?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The OP is on two separate tickets. While the possibility of talking ones way through not having to pay the baggage fees exists the greater chance is that the baggage fees have to be paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.