FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   New Destinations 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1741684-new-destinations-2016-a.html)

delfindo Jan 25, 16 11:00 am

New Destinations 2016

Yerevan from May - announced - http://www.armradio.am/en/2016/01/25...ly-to-armenia/

Auckland - NZ Herald has pre-announced it, citing the Bloomberg report and a recent bilateral Qatar-NZ aviation deal: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11579335

I read in the same report Lisbon, Santiago (SCL) and Marrakech are also being added.

A lot happening indeed....there is talk (Bloomberg) that the 777LR would fly Doha-Auckland direct, which put it at the upper limits of the range. 3-3-3 seating and direct would give QR an advantage over EK and EY who market heavily.

badoc Jan 25, 16 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by delfindo (Post 26078269)
Yerevan from May - announced - http://www.armradio.am/en/2016/01/25...ly-to-armenia/

Auckland - NZ Herald has pre-announced it, citing the Bloomberg report and a recent bilateral Qatar-NZ aviation deal: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11579335

I read in the same report Lisbon, Santiago (SCL) and Marrakech are also being added.

A lot happening indeed....there is talk (Bloomberg) that the 777LR would fly Doha-Auckland direct, which put it at the upper limits of the range. 3-3-3 seating and direct would give QR an advantage over EK and EY who market heavily.

Depending on timings of course, that could be an attractive proposition from London.

pseudo Jan 26, 16 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by badoc (Post 26079052)
Depending on timings of course, that could be an attractive proposition from London.

Yes, an 18hr flight will require decent timing ... preferably overnight towards the end of the flight.

So if the flight leaves Doha at 10am then you have up to 12 hour of awake time, 6 hours of sleep and a couple hours for waking up/meal.Then you would arrive in Auckland at 2pm.
But it's not handy for London as you would have another overnight flight to arrive before the 10am departure.

I would think the flight would have to leave before 3pm to make it less stressful (3pm departure ... sleep from 11pm to 6am ... wake up/meal for 3 hours. NZ 7pm arrival).
But they also need to consider return flight time, so they may want to arrive very late so they can fly back to Doha early in the morning.

Dieuwer Jan 26, 16 7:23 pm

Looks like QR pulled the plug on CMN. I don't see any QR metal flight between CMN and DOH at all in the GDS.

zebrametalevel Jan 26, 16 10:24 pm

Mmm, with the LAN AKL-SCL flight to join the dots... http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AKL-DOH-SCL-AKL

OnePassenger Jan 27, 16 2:08 am

Caribbean

Aruba; Saint Maarten; Antigua ... a.s.o.

H99 Jan 27, 16 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by pseudo (Post 26086392)
Yes, an 18hr flight will require decent timing ... preferably overnight towards the end of the flight.

So if the flight leaves Doha at 10am then you have up to 12 hour of awake time, 6 hours of sleep and a couple hours for waking up/meal.Then you would arrive in Auckland at 2pm.
But it's not handy for London as you would have another overnight flight to arrive before the 10am departure.

I would think the flight would have to leave before 3pm to make it less stressful (3pm departure ... sleep from 11pm to 6am ... wake up/meal for 3 hours. NZ 7pm arrival).
But they also need to consider return flight time, so they may want to arrive very late so they can fly back to Doha early in the morning.

H99 Jan 27, 16 12:41 pm

It's a long old flight. Would certainly prefer turning left on entry. I agree very much that timing of when it leaves and arrives will be critical - I like arriving into Auckland during the day rather than evening or night time. I do think with tailwinds that DOH to AKL will be only 16 and a bit hours given DOH to SYD is 14 or so

hiroaki27 Jan 27, 16 4:28 pm

New destinations:

Hopefully one day TPE (2017?)

iluvdoco Jan 27, 16 10:33 pm

Not a new destination, but I hope QR sends an A350 to IAD to replace the 777 there. With the A380 competition from EK ex-IAD, hoping QR follows suit with their newer planes.

papyPiHi Jan 28, 16 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 26086787)
Looks like QR pulled the plug on CMN. I don't see any QR metal flight between CMN and DOH at all in the GDS.

I can see QR 1395 DOH CMN, operating daily.

Which GDS are you using? Might be that QR restricts sales per market on specific GDS.

RMO Jan 28, 16 5:30 am

When will they start flying to Lisbon, any preview of the date or is it just a rumour?

arabiamark Jan 29, 16 8:28 am

Wish they would bring back the Cebu flight

msm2000uk Jan 31, 16 2:46 am

Originally Posted by arabiamark (Post 26100481)
Wish they would bring back the Cebu flight

With the Philippines becoming more and more popular with tourists, and indeed Premium Class tourists, I would invisage QR returning to CEB within the next 12 months.

Phil the Flyer Feb 1, 16 4:32 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26108847)

With the Philippines becoming more and more popular with tourists, and indeed Premium Class tourists, I would invisage QR returning to CEB within the next 12 months.

arabiamark, msm2000uk - here's another vote for QR to return to CEB with DOH-CEB flights (but preferably not with an A330/340).

Our family flies there quite a lot. Mrs PtF is originally from Cebu; in fact she's there right now, with Miss and Master PtF.

Given the horrors of changing terminals in MNL the current alternatives, based on what QR's website offers, are (in order of preference) either DOH-HKG-CEB (QR/CX), DOH-ICN-CEB (QR/KE) or, usually in the opposite direction, CEB-NRT-DOH (PR/QR). Three BAEC Golds in the family is handy when it comes to HKG first class lounge access. :)

Mr_Ed Feb 1, 16 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 26114164)
arabiamark, msm2000uk - here's another vote for QR to return to CEB with DOH-CEB flights (but preferably not with an A330/340).

Our family flies there quite a lot. Mrs PtF is originally from Cebu; in fact she's there right now, with Miss and Master PtF.

Given the horrors of changing terminals in MNL the current alternatives, based on what QR's website offers, are (in order of preference) either DOH-HKG-CEB (QR/CX), DOH-ICN-CEB (QR/KE) or, usually in the opposite direction, CEB-NRT-DOH (PR/QR). Three BAEC Golds in the family is handy when it comes to HKG first class lounge access. :)

Emirates starts flying to Cebu at the end of March.

Phil the Flyer Feb 1, 16 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mr_Ed (Post 26114286)

Emirates starts flying to Cebu at the end of March.

Really?! I wasn't aware of that - thank you for the information (hurries off to check-out EK's timetable).

QatarA340 Feb 2, 16 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 26115814)
Really?! I wasn't aware of that - thank you for the information (hurries off to check-out EK's timetable).

The CEB flight is not nonstop (its via CLK) (hurries back in to check the QR forums hehe)

Phil the Flyer Feb 2, 16 5:36 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340 (Post 26120025)
The CEB flight is not nonstop (its via CLK) (hurries back in to check the QR forums hehe)

Apparently DXB-CEB outbound, CEB-CLK-DXB inbound; operated by an EK 773 with 2-3-2 60 inch pitch (QR's 773 is 2-2-2 78 inch pitch) business class seating. :eek:

Throw in Avios and Tier Points, cheaper fares, a more relaxed transit (DOH v DXB), outstanding in-flight service, and the winner is - QR!

arabiamark Feb 2, 16 8:48 am

I think the discontinued CEB flight used to have a stop in SIN, didn't it?

Another old route I'd like to see resurrected is Seychelles. But that one probably has too much competition already.

msm2000uk Feb 2, 16 9:11 am

Originally Posted by arabiamark (Post 26120928)
I think the discontinued CEB flight used to have a stop in SIN, didn't it?

Another old route I'd like to see resurrected is Seychelles. But that one probably has too much competition already.

SEZ is surprisingly difficult to reach, so QR would do well to add a flight.

chris19992 Feb 25, 16 9:44 am

Cebu is indeed returning, unfortunately on a Dreamliner until they get more A350's.

This is great news, now hopefully it avoids a stop anywhere and it will be the perfect route for me.

Phil the Flyer Feb 26, 16 4:09 am

Originally Posted by chris19992 (Post 26242221)
Cebu is indeed returning, unfortunately on a Dreamliner until they get more A350's.

This is great news, now hopefully it avoids a stop anywhere and it will be the perfect route for me.

Thanks for the link - wonderful news!

Matt4 Feb 26, 16 7:11 am

In addition to Cebu, Qatar is planning to add at least one more undisclosed destination to its Southeast Asian network in 2016. It has been seeking approval to serve Surabaya, which would be Qatar’s third Indonesian destination, and has also been evaluating Chiang Mai, which would be its third destination in Thailand.

UTP would probably be more profitable...

msm2000uk Feb 26, 16 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer (Post 26246356)
Thanks for the link - wonderful news!

Wonderful news for both passengers, and indeed QR crew (a lot of whom are from Cebu and usually have to fly convoluted routes to get home once or twice a year).

Johnnieboy Mar 2, 16 12:22 am

Just looked up from my beer and happened to spot the inaugural QR flight coming in to land at Sydney right over the harbour bridge and opera house. Looks like they were given a special approach! Not sure how many other people noticed mind... ;-)

David_DLI Mar 2, 16 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy (Post 26270602)
Just looked up from my beer and happened to spot the inaugural QR flight coming in to land at Sydney right over the harbour bridge and opera house. Looks like they were given a special approach! Not sure how many other people noticed mind... ;-)

Pretty spectacular images on social media, lucky you to be there :)

Facebook

Twitter

Johnnieboy Mar 2, 16 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by David_DLI (Post 26271653)

Facebook

Twitter

Wow, those do look spectacular. Thanks for posting those. And to the person on facebook saying they are photoshopped, no, it definitely happened!

mrvincent Mar 2, 16 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by David_DLI (Post 26271653)

Facebook

Twitter

We'll be on that in less than 3 weeks. Less spectacular unfortunately.

iluvdoco Mar 2, 16 11:09 pm

Exciting news as everyone had hoped! QR will fly the A380 to SYD starting in June.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airway...n=home-flipper

msm2000uk Mar 3, 16 12:30 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 26276015)
Exciting news as everyone had hoped! QR will fly the A380 to SYD starting in June.

Interesting timing - June is a busy month for QR F flights to/from LHR and CDG...as Qatari's visit Europe to escape the heat.

I presume the new route will see BKK or LHR lose one of its A380 services?

Hopefully our resident QR Fleet expert can assist!

JustTheOne Mar 3, 16 3:49 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco (Post 26276015)

That IS good news - any chance "peak periods" could run into September? That's when I'm due to fly DOH-SYD, it would be nice to think it could will still be the A350 rather than the 777...

Steve_ZA Mar 5, 16 10:47 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26276206)
Interesting timing - June is a busy month for QR F flights to/from LHR and CDG...as Qatari's visit Europe to escape the heat.

I presume the new route will see BKK or LHR lose one of its A380 services?

Hopefully our resident QR Fleet expert can assist!

Doesn't QR have a A380 stored somewhere that was going to be brought into service in May ... I remember hearing this somewhere (maybe on here) last year.

remdk Mar 5, 16 11:32 am

Steve_ZA late last year Airbus wanted QR to take early delivery of its next A380. QR apparently refused to do so. Airbus do not have enough orders to keep the A380 production lines at full capacity. Apparently that and a couple of cancellations was the reason. The post we both are refering to was somewhere on this forum.

N1Rotate Mar 5, 16 12:36 pm

The mention that the A380 would be placed on the SYD route as early as June 2016 is a surprise, I don't know if this is accurate or the CEO was mis-interpreted. The earliest I heard was December 2016, MEL is also pushing for the A380 too. If the June 2016 date is accurate then I expect the A380s will come off the BKK route.

QR's A380 deliveries will resume in December 2016. The aircraft that was in storage has now left storage but there is no way it can be delivered as early as June.

remdk Mar 5, 16 2:12 pm

Sorry to disapoint but neither 'Book a Flight' nor 'Timetable search' have anything but a B777-300ER scheduled from 22 June-28 July for SYD. Maybe it is too early but both sources are normally reasonably accurate. It could also be yet another fantasy emanating from the Cuckoos Nest!

msm2000uk Mar 5, 16 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by N1Rotate (Post 26289153)
The mention that the A380 would be placed on the SYD route as early as June 2016 is a surprise, I don't know if this is accurate or the CEO was mis-interpreted. The earliest I heard was December 2016, MEL is also pushing for the A380 too. If the June 2016 date is accurate then I expect the A380s will come off the BKK route.

QR's A380 deliveries will resume in December 2016. The aircraft that was in storage has now left storage but there is no way it can be delivered as early as June.

Thanks to our Resident Fleet Expert for the info!

Steve_ZA Mar 6, 16 3:08 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate (Post 26289153)

Indeed, a little digging found these two photos:

Storage in October

Out of storage 13/2/16

It does seem a long way off seeing as the engines still haven't appeared.

Dr. HFH Mar 6, 16 8:34 am

A lot happening indeed....there is talk (Bloomberg) that the 777LR would fly Doha-Auckland direct, which put it at the upper limits of the range.

I never understood why aircraft range is listed in miles and not hours, when the range is completely dependent on the winds. Isn't it more relevant to say that the engines can run for a certain number of hours with a full load of fuel? Take the 777-LR, as long as we're talking about it. Boeing website lists the range as a bit under 9K miles. Yet a standard 777-LR (i.e., without extra fuel tanks) flew HKG-LHR eastbound (something like 13K miles) to demonstrate its long range capability in a Boeing demo flight. That was possible, of course, because it was flying in the direction of the prevailing winds. That's why LAX-LHR is quicker than LHR-LAX.

Originally Posted by OnePassenger (Post 26087991)
Aruba; Saint Maarten; Antigua ... a.s.o.

Have any more specific info on SXM? That would be just lovely.

remdk Mar 6, 16 10:16 am

Dr. HFH where did you get those numbers from? The great circle distance SYD-LHR is 10573 and HKG-LHR is 5994 miles. The numbers will be larger if measured in km and smaller if measured in nautical miles.

Flight time is decided by many factors. Some are naturally occurring such weather, the rotation of the earth, and in the Northern hemisphere the Jet-stream, even temperature. Other causes are man made such as fight restrictions, wars and unrest etc. That is just a few reasons rhere are many many more. Like you I would like to know how these and many other factors affect flight time.