FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   New Destinations 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1741684-new-destinations-2016-a.html)

pepsi1336 Mar 9, 2016 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 26306305)
DOH-AKL nonstop has now been officially announced:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/at-18-hours-...n=home-flipper

It'll be the world's longest flight at over 9000mi - longer than LHR-PER. 18h30 flight time - ooph!

Dep DOH 02.10 arr AKL 04:30 +1
Dep AKL 14:40 arr DOH 22:10

As have Nice, Pisa, Helsinki, Skopje, Sarajevo, Marrakech, Lusaka, Douala, Libreville, Windhoek, Seychelles, Krabi and Chiang Mai

tboons Mar 9, 2016 5:36 am

Originally Posted by pepsi1336 (Post 26306351)
As have Nice, Pisa, Helsinki, Skopje, Sarajevo, Marrakech, Lusaka, Douala, Libreville, Windhoek, Seychelles, Krabi and Chiang Mai

I am so excited! Love Nice, Pisa, Helsinki and Marrakech!!!

UpperDeck87K Mar 9, 2016 7:41 am

....Helsinki, ...

Finally! And this time it's not just an announcement but they are already selling tickets. Earliest I can find on qatarairways.com is Mon, Oct 10th 2016 QR302 17:45-00:05+1 A320. The schedule varies between a morning and early evening departure from Helsinki.

ph-ndr Mar 9, 2016 7:51 am

Here's a picture:

http://imagr.eu/up/PR7MP_CdGipVrW4AAoHEZ.jpg

-A

msm2000uk Mar 9, 2016 10:51 am

NCE will restart in summer 2017 with a widebody aircraft, presumably when the T1 expansion works are completed.

There are a few of us NCE locals on FT, and I'm delighted the route is back.

Sputnikboy Mar 9, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm super excited to see them resuming Mahè and most importantly having a major airline finally flying to Namibia! ^

On the other hand I can't believe they will fly to the likes of Skopje and Pisa, but they cancelled their Osaka KIX route. :mad:

msm2000uk Mar 9, 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sputnikboy (Post 26309006)
I'm super excited to see them resuming Mahè and most importantly having a major airline finally flying to Namibia! ^

On the other hand I can't believe they will fly to the likes of Skopje and Pisa, but they cancelled their Osaka KIX route. :mad:

Worth bearing in mind that Lufty fly to Windhoek, and have done for a while.

Resuming Mahe is a major boost, as the Seychelles is pretty tough to reach using OneWorld (for a reasonable fare).

Mwenenzi Mar 9, 2016 7:14 pm

And AKL New Zealand. From http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11603279

Qatar Airways has confirmed it will begin a non-stop, more than 18 hour service between Doha and Auckland - set to become the world's longest flight - on December 3.
Will be a good route for *ONE* tickets

orbitmic Mar 10, 2016 12:34 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26307950)
NCE will restart in summer 2017 with a widebody aircraft, presumably when the T1 expansion works are completed.

There are a few of us NCE locals on FT, and I'm delighted the route is back.

An unsurprising +1 from me! ;)

Apparently it will be five weekly (not 3 weekly as before) and if I understand correctly nonstop (previously one stop via MXP) which will make it even more attractive!

msm2000uk Mar 10, 2016 12:59 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 26311302)
An unsurprising +1 from me! ;)

Apparently it will be five weekly (not 3 weekly as before) and if I understand correctly nonstop (previously one stop via MXP) which will make it even more attractive!

Haha! I had a PM saved to send you! I believe there is another FTer (3 letter username beginning with an M) who will also be happy the route is been announced.

The route will be 5 days a week, supposedly, and operated by a wide-body aircraft. I would assume that a 787 will take the route, as QR will want to make the offer as attractive as possible to counter EK (who are very popular ex-NCE). TK have taken a bit of business away from BA too, but nowhere near as much as EK.

Hopefully, with QR returning to NCE, those who travel with BA to the East (via LHR) will start moving their trips via Doha instead.

In terms of the route starting next summer (2017), I think the delay is a combination of:

1) No available aircraft
2) NCE T1 expansion, especially lounge space
3) Not enough time for marketing/advertising to fill the planes up for summer 2016.
4) With winter a fairly quiet time, I can understand them not flying.

With regards to Point 4, I would be surprised if QR didnt operate a few training flights, which would at least be entertaining.

One further thing to add, is that NCE is a hugely popular route for locals in the Middle-East, opposed to those going the other way. Cannes and St Tropez are very popular with Qatari's, even more so now that the Russians have been driven out of town!

Time will tell, but with NCE the second busiest airport in France, it is good to see another major carrier coming back.

Phil the Flyer Mar 10, 2016 3:00 am

What happened to CEB? :(

No mention of it in QR's press release. Or doesn't it count as a 'new' destination?

TPJ Mar 10, 2016 5:42 am

A Helsinki,

HEL - attempt number 3, I think (if memory serves):D

But the number of new destinations is indeed impressive...

orbitmic Mar 10, 2016 6:00 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26311378)
One further thing to add, is that NCE is a hugely popular route for locals in the Middle-East, opposed to those going the other way. Cannes and St Tropez are very popular with Qatari's, even more so now that the Russians have been driven out of town!

PMs most welcome!! :) :)

The above is what I was going to say when you mentioned the 788: I think so because many wealthy Qatari and other Middle Eastern people fly there frequently, often complete with family etc so I think that this will be a "premium" oriented route.

And I agree with you re-starting in Summer. I think they will fly in the winter too but the actual starting of a route is best done in the busiest period.

I'm sure in for training flights if you hear anything, and yes, EK is very popular for NCE both as origin and destination (lots of emerging Asian middle class markets as well as Australia, South Africa, etc) so glad that QR will give them and TK a run for their money!

Sputnikboy Mar 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 26309092)
Worth bearing in mind that Lufty fly to Windhoek, and have done for a while.

Resuming Mahe is a major boost, as the Seychelles is pretty tough to reach using OneWorld (for a reasonable fare).

I've been trying to go to Namibia for a few years now: never found a decent price from Air Namibia and in the last years I haven't seen a route with Lufthansa either. Probably you know more than me, but I searched for it with no success for October last year, I always had to change in Jo'burgh or CPT.

Any hope they will resume KIX in autumn 16?

msm2000uk Mar 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sputnikboy (Post 26314583)
I've been trying to go to Namibia for a few years now: never found a decent price from Air Namibia and in the last years I haven't seen a route with Lufthansa either. Probably you know more than me, but I searched for it with no success for October last year, I always had to change in Jo'burgh or CPT.

Any hope they will resume KIX in autumn 16?

I've never looked for direct flights to WDH, but when my other-half and I were there, we saw a Lufthansa plane on the ground.