New Destinations 2016

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 23, 16, 6:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: msm2000uk
Wiki Link
New Destinations Announced in 2016 include:

AKL - Auckland
CNX - Chiang Mai
DLA - Douala
HEL - Helsinki
KBV - Krabi
LBV - Libreville
LIS - Lisbon
LUN - Lusaka
RAK - Marrakesh
NCE - Nice
PSA - Pisa
SCL - Santiago
SJJ - Sarajevo
SEZ - Seychelles
SKP - Skopje
WDH -Windhoek
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 3, 16, 1:30 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
Exciting news as everyone had hoped! QR will fly the A380 to SYD starting in June.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airway...n=home-flipper
Interesting timing - June is a busy month for QR F flights to/from LHR and CDG...as Qatari's visit Europe to escape the heat.

I presume the new route will see BKK or LHR lose one of its A380 services?

Hopefully our resident QR Fleet expert can assist!
Old Mar 3, 16, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Exciting news as everyone had hoped! QR will fly the A380 to SYD starting in June.

That IS good news - any chance "peak periods" could run into September? That's when I'm due to fly DOH-SYD, it would be nice to think it could will still be the A350 rather than the 777...
Old Mar 5, 16, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk View Post
Interesting timing - June is a busy month for QR F flights to/from LHR and CDG...as Qatari's visit Europe to escape the heat.

I presume the new route will see BKK or LHR lose one of its A380 services?

Hopefully our resident QR Fleet expert can assist!
Doesn't QR have a A380 stored somewhere that was going to be brought into service in May ... I remember hearing this somewhere (maybe on here) last year.
Old Mar 5, 16, 12:32 pm

Steve_ZA late last year Airbus wanted QR to take early delivery of its next A380. QR apparently refused to do so. Airbus do not have enough orders to keep the A380 production lines at full capacity. Apparently that and a couple of cancellations was the reason. The post we both are refering to was somewhere on this forum.
Old Mar 5, 16, 1:36 pm

The mention that the A380 would be placed on the SYD route as early as June 2016 is a surprise, I don't know if this is accurate or the CEO was mis-interpreted. The earliest I heard was December 2016, MEL is also pushing for the A380 too. If the June 2016 date is accurate then I expect the A380s will come off the BKK route.

QR's A380 deliveries will resume in December 2016. The aircraft that was in storage has now left storage but there is no way it can be delivered as early as June.
Old Mar 5, 16, 3:12 pm

Sorry to disapoint but neither 'Book a Flight' nor 'Timetable search' have anything but a B777-300ER scheduled from 22 June-28 July for SYD. Maybe it is too early but both sources are normally reasonably accurate. It could also be yet another fantasy emanating from the Cuckoos Nest!
Old Mar 5, 16, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by N1Rotate View Post
The mention that the A380 would be placed on the SYD route as early as June 2016 is a surprise, I don't know if this is accurate or the CEO was mis-interpreted. The earliest I heard was December 2016, MEL is also pushing for the A380 too. If the June 2016 date is accurate then I expect the A380s will come off the BKK route.

QR's A380 deliveries will resume in December 2016. The aircraft that was in storage has now left storage but there is no way it can be delivered as early as June.
Thanks to our Resident Fleet Expert for the info!
Old Mar 6, 16, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate View Post
Indeed, a little digging found these two photos:

Storage in October

Out of storage 13/2/16

It does seem a long way off seeing as the engines still haven't appeared.
Old Mar 6, 16, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by delfindo View Post
A lot happening indeed....there is talk (Bloomberg) that the 777LR would fly Doha-Auckland direct, which put it at the upper limits of the range.
I never understood why aircraft range is listed in miles and not hours, when the range is completely dependent on the winds. Isn't it more relevant to say that the engines can run for a certain number of hours with a full load of fuel? Take the 777-LR, as long as we're talking about it. Boeing website lists the range as a bit under 9K miles. Yet a standard 777-LR (i.e., without extra fuel tanks) flew HKG-LHR eastbound (something like 13K miles) to demonstrate its long range capability in a Boeing demo flight. That was possible, of course, because it was flying in the direction of the prevailing winds. That's why LAX-LHR is quicker than LHR-LAX.

Originally Posted by OnePassenger View Post
Aruba; Saint Maarten; Antigua ... a.s.o.
Have any more specific info on SXM? That would be just lovely.
Old Mar 6, 16, 11:16 am

Dr. HFH where did you get those numbers from? The great circle distance SYD-LHR is 10573 and HKG-LHR is 5994 miles. The numbers will be larger if measured in km and smaller if measured in nautical miles.

Flight time is decided by many factors. Some are naturally occurring such weather, the rotation of the earth, and in the Northern hemisphere the Jet-stream, even temperature. Other causes are man made such as fight restrictions, wars and unrest etc. That is just a few reasons rhere are many many more. Like you I would like to know how these and many other factors affect flight time.
Old Mar 6, 16, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remdk View Post
Dr. HFH where did you get those numbers from? The great circle distance SYD-LHR is 10573 and HKG-LHR is 5994 miles. The numbers will be larger if measured in km and smaller if measured in nautical miles.

Flight time is decided by many factors. Some are naturally occurring such weather, the rotation of the earth, and in the Northern hemisphere the Jet-stream, even temperature. Other causes are man made such as fight restrictions, wars and unrest etc. That is just a few reasons rhere are many many more. Like you I would like to know how these and many other factors affect flight time.
It didn't fly a Great Circle route; it literally flew around the world, eastbound. Here's a representative article from then. Link.

Yes, flight time (fuel burn rate, actually) may be influenced by several factors; but it's a far more accurate measure than distance, where factors like wind have a much greater effect.
Old Mar 7, 16, 4:57 am

Programs: QF Gold

Article says QR A380 will be used during the peak season. I just booked QR 909 SYD-DOH in business class October 23, 16. Currently shows being a 773. Any one know how long the A380 will remain on this route ?

Coming back 1 week later via ADL and look forward flying the A350 in J.

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
Old Mar 7, 16, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
...Have any more specific info on SXM? That would be just lovely.
SXM would be a surprise, as indeed would any other Carribean destinations.

The local market for the Carribean is quite low, and for those based in Europe, travelling via DOH would be a very poor use of time.

TK are currently offering flights from AMS to Bogota, via Istanbul, and that involves a massive backtrack to fly back over Europe from IST.

I simply cannot see it at present, unless QR can get themselves a Fifth Freedom Flight from somewhere like MIA or LAX.

M
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The local market for the Carribean is quite low, and for those based in Europe, travelling via DOH would be a very poor use of time.
But if you are based in SEAsia (as I am), not at all a bad routing.

KL runs a 744 three times per week and AF a 343 four times per week to SXM; and both have for years. Don't forget TX, which runs a 333 once/week. And that doesn't include charters. So we know that there's demand from Europe. At the right price, I bet that QR could steal some of this business, enough to make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 7, 16 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 9, 16, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by delfindo View Post
A lot happening indeed....there is talk (Bloomberg) that the 777LR would fly Doha-Auckland direct, which put it at the upper limits of the range.
DOH-AKL nonstop has now been officially announced:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/at-18-hours-...n=home-flipper

It'll be the world's longest flight at over 9000mi - longer than LHR-PER. 17h30 flight time - ooph!

Dep DOH 02.10 arr AKL 04:30 +1
Dep AKL 14:40 arr DOH 22:10

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 9, 16 at 1:53 pm Reason: Corrected flight time

Search this Thread
Search Engine: