Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR and EC261 - experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 would only apply to an EU carrier or to a non-EU carrier departing the EU. Neither applies here for the segment causing the delay.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:47 am

Any update on this original claim? I was in a very similar situation (Ex-EU on QR on one ticket, but it was the subsequent flight that was delayed).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I was on a FRA-DOH-DXB flight and missed the connection in DOH due to a 50 minute delay of the FRA-DOH leg. This resulted in a 4 hour delyed arrival in DXB as my rebooked flight departed at 6:00 am versus 2:05 am as originally booked (there are no QR flights in between). QR refused to book me on a EK flight departing at 03:50 am.

I emailed QR about this ([email protected]) and they replied that the delay in FRA was due to waiting for clearance of air traffic control and as this is beyond their responsibility would not compensate me.

Does anybody know if and how I can verify QR's statement with respect to air traffic control or do I just have to believe them? If they are telling the truth then I think that it would be an extraordinary cause for the delay for which I cannot charge them, right?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by toz100
I was on a FRA-DOH-DXB flight and missed the connection in DOH due to a 50 minute delay of the FRA-DOH leg. This resulted in a 4 hour delyed arrival in DXB as my rebooked flight departed at 6:00 am versus 2:05 am as originally booked (there are no QR flights in between). QR refused to book me on a EK flight departing at 03:50 am.
Was there a delay in boarding in Frankfurt?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by yorweb
Was there a delay in boarding in Frankfurt?
No, the boarding was completed in time as far as I remember, although I cannot say exctly how long doors have been open. That makes it more probable that they are right, I know.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Forgive me for not quoting properly (slow wifi and iPhone only) but I used the contact information provided by msm2000uk (doing his username from memory). I only emailed once and then informed them of my intent to persue EC261.

As my lawyer friend tells me it may actually become important jurisprudence (so far on a through ticket only delays on the first flight are documented) he advices me to stop negotiating with QR and to stop updating on this forum... Sorry about that. However, we have agreed that it is important to establish the correct interpretation on this, so I won't give in to any deals under NDA.

It's a shame that QR is the guineapig but it has to be tested somewhere.
Hi Henkybaby, can you tell us if you are still pursuing EC261 or if it has been settled now? You said above that you wouldn't agree to an NDA, so hopefully, unless your claim is still in process - in which case I assume you can tell us that much - can you tell us all how you got on.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
To summarize my reading of this thread (and my personal view): you can claim 600 because you arrived 4 hours late at your final destination. You cannot claim any other expenses (like hotel in BKK).
Whether QR will accept is questionable. They already provided you with an upgrade to F and might feel that you are unreasonable. Then you would have to go to court.
I feel that you should claim in the Netherlands if you purchase the ticket there. Undoubtedly, they will ask HQ.
The recent ECJ ruling Wegener v Royal Air Maroc SA may bolster claims in this regard (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62017CN0537). Relates to a flight on one PNR with a delayed arrival at final destination with initial leg from the EU but the final leg originating outside the EU and the airline one non-EU.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by radiata
The recent ECJ ruling Wegener v Royal Air Maroc SA may bolster claims in this regard (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62017CN0537). Relates to a flight on one PNR with a delayed arrival at final destination with initial leg from the EU but the final leg originating outside the EU and the airline one non-EU.
I think that the proper link is:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62017CJ0537

And QR won't like it.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by radiata
Just to be clear, it does not deal with a single PNR, but a single ticket. That has always been a critical issue for many matters and is now critical for this aspect of EC 261/2004.

One can easily have multiple tickets loaded into one PNR and many TA's book that way because there can be cost savings.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Bringing this thread back to life:

I recently had a long delay in DOH as my DOH-SIN flight was delayed by a tech issue in part of a SOF-DOH-SIN booking.

This flight was scheduled to depart from Doha on 16-Aug-2019 at 02:25. However, the flight was delayed and did not arrive at Singapore until 21:47 meaning it arrived 6 hours and 2 minutes late. I was rebooked by the lounge agent onto QR944 which arrived in Singapore at 20:33 meaning that I arrived into Singapore 4 hours and 48 minutes after I was originally scheduled to.

I emailed customer services on 19-Aug-2019 referencing the ECJ ruling Wegener v Royal Air Maroc SA and requesting €600 compensation under EC261. I received an automated response on the same day that I sent the email acknowledging my email and saying they will get back to me within 3 business days unless it needs further input and haven't heard anything since then. The automated email says "Please be assured that we will respond to your message."

Should I just sit back and wait or is there anything that I can do to speed up their response?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Bringing this thread back to life:

I recently had a long delay in DOH as my DOH-SIN flight was delayed by a tech issue in part of a SOF-DOH-SIN booking.

This flight was scheduled to depart from Doha on 16-Aug-2019 at 02:25. However, the flight was delayed and did not arrive at Singapore until 21:47 meaning it arrived 6 hours and 2 minutes late. I was rebooked by the lounge agent onto QR944 which arrived in Singapore at 20:33 meaning that I arrived into Singapore 4 hours and 48 minutes after I was originally scheduled to.

I emailed customer services on 19-Aug-2019 referencing the ECJ ruling Wegener v Royal Air Maroc SA and requesting €600 compensation under EC261. I received an automated response on the same day that I sent the email acknowledging my email and saying they will get back to me within 3 business days unless it needs further input and haven't heard anything since then. The automated email says "Please be assured that we will respond to your message."

Should I just sit back and wait or is there anything that I can do to speed up their response?
If there is no doubt that the delay is not due to an event beyond QR's control I would give them a payment target of 2 weeks and indicate that you will give the case to your lawyer if QR doesn't settle the payment until then.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by toz100
If there is no doubt that the delay is not due to an event beyond QR's control I would give them a payment target of 2 weeks and indicate that you will give the case to your lawyer if QR doesn't settle the payment until then.
The lounge agent said that it was a technical issue with the aircraft which given that it was at DOH, I would have thought should (in the eyes of EC261) mean that it is in QR's control.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The lounge agent said that it was a technical issue with the aircraft which given that it was at DOH, I would have thought should (in the eyes of EC261) mean that it is in QR's control.
Send them a message on Twitter or Facebook with the email case reference to see if you can chase it. From my experience they are usually reasonably quick to reply but there is no point emailing again if the email is just going to be queued.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Send them a message on Twitter or Facebook with the email case reference to see if you can chase it. From my experience they are usually reasonably quick to reply but there is no point emailing again if the email is just going to be queued.
Given this a try, lets see what happens next.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:23 pm

Given this a try, lets see what happens next.
This evening have heard back from QR with a full explanation fo the delay, an apology and asking for my bank account details for them to make payment. ^

The QR Twitter team said they highlighted my case as priority the same evening I PMd them and now have a response. Seems like they have some sway over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.