Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Schedule change - Can I argue it is big enough for a refund?

Schedule change - Can I argue it is big enough for a refund?

Old Jan 18, 16, 10:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 103
Schedule change - Can I argue it is big enough for a refund?

Hi All,

I've had a flight connection in DOH reduced from 3hr 15 to 1hr 20.

To cut a long story short I am highly likely to want to skip this trip from what I can see at the moment, is this a big enough movement to justify a refund?

I could of course present some kind of argument as to why a shorter connection time is worse, but just looking for opinions on the best way to handle this before I phone up.

Thanks in advance.

B
BW0807 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 10:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: El Segundo, CA
Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 108
Probably not as the new connection is above the minimum connection time at DOH, and most likely you will be arriving at your destination within 2 hours of the original arrival time.
DrinkRaiderade is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 11:39 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 103
Hi -

I've actually misinterpreted my booking reference a little.

It is actually that my initial departure is 1.55hrs later than scheduled, does this make any difference?

Can I argue that a layover length would now be impractical? IE. I'm flying into my QR departure point on another PNR, which now makes the gap too long for comfort?

Thanks

B
BW0807 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Abu Dhabi
Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Posts: 531
The 'legal' minimum connect time is 45 mins and a sub-one hour connection is easy at Doha. It's a simple airport to navigate and gates don't close until 20 mins before departure.

You might argue there's no guarantee they can thru-check you across two separate tickets.
sharp5flat9 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:19 pm
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
A bit confusing, but as I understand it, you are connecting on a single ticket at DOH? If that is the case and the connection time is at or above MCT, there is no reason for QR to refund or offer a change of any kind as the MCT represents QR's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect.

The fact that you may now have a longer time on the ground at your QR origination because you depart later and arrive on another ticket (PNR's don't matter) is irrelevant to QR and likely of no practical significance anyway.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:27 pm
  #6  
gms
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: South East, UK
Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,223
Originally Posted by BW0807 View Post
Can I argue that a layover length would now be impractical? IE. I'm flying into my QR departure point on another PNR, which now makes the gap too long for comfort?
I really don't see that you have a leg to stand on here. It sounds like you will still be arriving at your final destination at the original scheduled time. A slightly later departure from your point of origin isn't really going to make any difference. In fact they could say it's better for you in case of any delay to your (fictitious?) inbound connecting flight!

If you simply want to cancel, why not just check to see what the cancellation charges are and swallow them? On many QR tickets the cancellation fees can be fairly reasonable (in my experience at least). Or see if you can change the flights to another date if that would suit.
gms is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 1:35 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by gms View Post
I really don't see that you have a leg to stand on here. It sounds like you will still be arriving at your final destination at the original scheduled time. A slightly later departure from your point of origin isn't really going to make any difference. In fact they could say it's better for you in case of any delay to your (fictitious?) inbound connecting flight!

If you simply want to cancel, why not just check to see what the cancellation charges are and swallow them? On many QR tickets the cancellation fees can be fairly reasonable (in my experience at least). Or see if you can change the flights to another date if that would suit.
I completely agree I don't believe I have a leg to stand on, but I was seeing whether the policies on schedule changes might give me the answer I want, but do not deserve.

In any case my tickets are in I class (i.e. dirt cheap business), they say non-refundable, but I can't fine the exact booking rules at all, a $300 cancellation fee or something I would happily take.

The inbound flight however is not fictitious
BW0807 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 16, 7:54 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: PAR
Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat, WY Silver, IB Plata
Posts: 1,025
You still can try telling them you had an important meeting in Doha between your flights that the new connection time doesn't allow anymore and that's why you want to be refunded without any penalty...
Matt4 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 16, 4:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 879
Do you really need a reason to cancel if the airline changes the schedule? Just email them and ask first, if they don't comply, make some threats about small claims courts or something.
mpkz is offline  
Old Jan 20, 16, 4:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 879
Here's a US link: http://maphappy.org/2013/06/the-unkn...edule-changes/
mpkz is offline  
Old Jan 20, 16, 1:12 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,118
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
I don't think the writer of that article has much knowledge of international air travel.
ft101 is online now  
Old Jan 22, 16, 1:50 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Posts: 13,501
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I don't think the writer of that article has much knowledge of international air travel.
Indeed.
The bottom line is that QR sold a A-DOH-B ticket, while you also got a separate X-A ticket. The arrival time in B is not changed, only the transfer time in DOH is reduced but to a reasonable 1h20. I don't think that you have any ground to complain.
A long wait at DOH is translated into a longer wait in A, as you seem to arrive from some other origin X. But that is not QR problem. From their viewpoint, they even provide a faster way to get from A to B.
Arguing that you had planned a business meeting in DOH will get you nowhere. The only near-zero probability is that they will offer to rebook you on a later DOH-B.
brunos is offline  
Old Jan 22, 16, 4:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 879
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Indeed.
The bottom line is that QR sold a A-DOH-B ticket, while you also got a separate X-A ticket. The arrival time in B is not changed, only the transfer time in DOH is reduced but to a reasonable 1h20. I don't think that you have any ground to complain.
A long wait at DOH is translated into a longer wait in A, as you seem to arrive from some other origin X. But that is not QR problem. From their viewpoint, they even provide a faster way to get from A to B.
Arguing that you had planned a business meeting in DOH will get you nowhere. The only near-zero probability is that they will offer to rebook you on a later DOH-B.
No, QR sold a ticket for as certain time and date and then later changed the time.
mpkz is offline  
Old Jan 22, 16, 6:57 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,943
mpkz Please read the Terms and Conditions you get with every booking. Basically they say "We will transport you from A to B, how and when is at our discretion."

The flight number has not changed just the timing. There is no delay in arrival at the final destination so even EC261 permits this.
remdk is offline  
Old Jan 22, 16, 7:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,118
Originally Posted by mpkz View Post
No, QR sold a ticket for as certain time and date and then later changed the time.
From the Conditions of Carriage:

We undertake to use our best efforts to carry you and your Baggage with reasonable dispatch and to adhere to published schedules in effect on the date of travel, but no particular time is fixed for the commencement or completion of carriage, and times shown in timetables or elsewhere are approximate and not guaranteed, and do not form part of the Conditions of Contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice, and we assume no liability for making connections.
ft101 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: