Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Schedule change - Can I argue it is big enough for a refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

I've had a flight connection in DOH reduced from 3hr 15 to 1hr 20.

To cut a long story short I am highly likely to want to skip this trip from what I can see at the moment, is this a big enough movement to justify a refund?

I could of course present some kind of argument as to why a shorter connection time is worse, but just looking for opinions on the best way to handle this before I phone up.

Thanks in advance.

B
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
Probably not as the new connection is above the minimum connection time at DOH, and most likely you will be arriving at your destination within 2 hours of the original arrival time.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Hi -

I've actually misinterpreted my booking reference a little.

It is actually that my initial departure is 1.55hrs later than scheduled, does this make any difference?

Can I argue that a layover length would now be impractical? IE. I'm flying into my QR departure point on another PNR, which now makes the gap too long for comfort?

Thanks

B
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
The 'legal' minimum connect time is 45 mins and a sub-one hour connection is easy at Doha. It's a simple airport to navigate and gates don't close until 20 mins before departure.

You might argue there's no guarantee they can thru-check you across two separate tickets.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A bit confusing, but as I understand it, you are connecting on a single ticket at DOH? If that is the case and the connection time is at or above MCT, there is no reason for QR to refund or offer a change of any kind as the MCT represents QR's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect.

The fact that you may now have a longer time on the ground at your QR origination because you depart later and arrive on another ticket (PNR's don't matter) is irrelevant to QR and likely of no practical significance anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:27 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BW0807
Can I argue that a layover length would now be impractical? IE. I'm flying into my QR departure point on another PNR, which now makes the gap too long for comfort?
I really don't see that you have a leg to stand on here. It sounds like you will still be arriving at your final destination at the original scheduled time. A slightly later departure from your point of origin isn't really going to make any difference. In fact they could say it's better for you in case of any delay to your (fictitious?) inbound connecting flight!

If you simply want to cancel, why not just check to see what the cancellation charges are and swallow them? On many QR tickets the cancellation fees can be fairly reasonable (in my experience at least). Or see if you can change the flights to another date if that would suit.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
I really don't see that you have a leg to stand on here. It sounds like you will still be arriving at your final destination at the original scheduled time. A slightly later departure from your point of origin isn't really going to make any difference. In fact they could say it's better for you in case of any delay to your (fictitious?) inbound connecting flight!

If you simply want to cancel, why not just check to see what the cancellation charges are and swallow them? On many QR tickets the cancellation fees can be fairly reasonable (in my experience at least). Or see if you can change the flights to another date if that would suit.
I completely agree I don't believe I have a leg to stand on, but I was seeing whether the policies on schedule changes might give me the answer I want, but do not deserve.

In any case my tickets are in I class (i.e. dirt cheap business), they say non-refundable, but I can't fine the exact booking rules at all, a $300 cancellation fee or something I would happily take.

The inbound flight however is not fictitious
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
You still can try telling them you had an important meeting in Doha between your flights that the new connection time doesn't allow anymore and that's why you want to be refunded without any penalty...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:32 am
Suspended

Do you really need a reason to cancel if the airline changes the schedule? Just email them and ask first, if they don't comply, make some threats about small claims courts or something.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:44 am
Suspended

Here's a US link: http://maphappy.org/2013/06/the-unkn...edule-changes/
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
I don't think the writer of that article has much knowledge of international air travel.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
I don't think the writer of that article has much knowledge of international air travel.
Indeed.
The bottom line is that QR sold a A-DOH-B ticket, while you also got a separate X-A ticket. The arrival time in B is not changed, only the transfer time in DOH is reduced but to a reasonable 1h20. I don't think that you have any ground to complain.
A long wait at DOH is translated into a longer wait in A, as you seem to arrive from some other origin X. But that is not QR problem. From their viewpoint, they even provide a faster way to get from A to B.
Arguing that you had planned a business meeting in DOH will get you nowhere. The only near-zero probability is that they will offer to rebook you on a later DOH-B.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed.
The bottom line is that QR sold a A-DOH-B ticket, while you also got a separate X-A ticket. The arrival time in B is not changed, only the transfer time in DOH is reduced but to a reasonable 1h20. I don't think that you have any ground to complain.
A long wait at DOH is translated into a longer wait in A, as you seem to arrive from some other origin X. But that is not QR problem. From their viewpoint, they even provide a faster way to get from A to B.
Arguing that you had planned a business meeting in DOH will get you nowhere. The only near-zero probability is that they will offer to rebook you on a later DOH-B.
No, QR sold a ticket for as certain time and date and then later changed the time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:57 am

mpkz Please read the Terms and Conditions you get with every booking. Basically they say "We will transport you from A to B, how and when is at our discretion."

The flight number has not changed just the timing. There is no delay in arrival at the final destination so even EC261 permits this.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
No, QR sold a ticket for as certain time and date and then later changed the time.
From the Conditions of Carriage:

We undertake to use our best efforts to carry you and your Baggage with reasonable dispatch and to adhere to published schedules in effect on the date of travel, but no particular time is fixed for the commencement or completion of carriage, and times shown in timetables or elsewhere are approximate and not guaranteed, and do not form part of the Conditions of Contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice, and we assume no liability for making connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.