Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is QR already on the way to leaving oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is QR already on the way to leaving oneworld?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Calchas
B6?

Is a dense US airline that important for QR's operations? At the moment AA only grudgingly interlines with it and prefers to cooperate with EY.
I thought the AA/B6 agreement had ended but I could be out of date on that. It was always quite limited and only seemed to apply to destinations where AA didn't offer a direct service. I used it a few times RSW-JFK but the last time I enquired AA told me it wasn't available.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Would be happy to see QR go... Down the back they are awful. Flew QR DOH-DXB return this week in Y... Seats on QR have the same or worse pitch than Y on BA's European flights. On board "food" revolting and a meager offering. IFE non-existent, Avios awarded on Y flights pathetic.
Someone else mentioned this was just a 45m flight... Even if it was truly bad, is it enough to judge a whole airline on? I flew QR GRU X/DOH JNB in Y (don't ask!) and I had good flights, even in a 787 middle seat. It's economy, it's going to be uncomfortable - but I noticed little touches that QR had that BA didn't. I liked QR.

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I thought the AA/B6 agreement had ended but I could be out of date on that.
AA/B6 no longer even have an interline agreement - I just checked in Sabre.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I thought the AA/B6 agreement had ended but I could be out of date on that. It was always quite limited and only seemed to apply to destinations where AA didn't offer a direct service. I used it a few times RSW-JFK but the last time I enquired AA told me it wasn't available.
I mean the QR and B6 agreement is stronger than the QR and AA agreement.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:38 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
If Ethiad had to stop some of it's codeshares with Air Berlin (29% stake), do you really think QR can pull the much bigger IAG out of a highly profitable alliance (and probably JV with AA).

If they did what do you think the remaining 90% of IAG shareholders are going to do?
As I said previously, I don't actually believe QR will leave Oneworld. It's all about posturing and providing a negotiating position.

Yes Qatar only owns just under 10% of IAG, but they are the single biggest shareholder. So I guarantee they will have influence, but of course could not force an exit. However if the circumstance were to arise I think there would be quite a few shareholders who would see the value of being in an alliance with a major ME carrier as opposed to AA.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Oddly, the QR Forum does contain some rather helpful information. It involves clicking on a less frequented forum on FT - something which might feel scary to some.

Last week there was a thread regarding posts being put in the wrong place and everyone was quite uppity about it.

Fast forward a few days, and yet again, a post about QR and it's ongoing relationship to OneWorld, is on the BA Forum.

Quite why it hasn't been moved by the Mods to the QR Forum, is baffling - perhaps they are busy.

The thread is nothing to do with BA, other than BA also being part of OneWorld and people worrying about losing Tier-Points and Avios.

We have discussed this topic on the QR thread for a while, and because we follow QR that much more, we are more aware of AAB and his regular 'words of warning'.
I can understand why this is frustrating for you.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I can understand why this is frustrating for you.
Really?
V relevant to Ba ffp user using QR as a quick and dirty way to hold Ba status
V relevant as Qatar has 10% of iag -though the other 90% will keep them in line...,

Of course on the Ba forum the Qatar PR machine would be found out v quickly.,,
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
Really?
V relevant as Qatar has 10% of iag -though the other 90% will keep them in line...,

Yeah, really. I'm not saying that this thread shouldn't be here (that's for the mods to decide), I am saying it must be frustrating for the mod of the QR forum who is trying to grow it to see a flourishing thread largely about QR here.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:14 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Really?

I didn't say it was irrelevant to users of the BA Forum, but there are plenty of threads relevant to BA Forum users on other FT Forums.

Yeah, really. I'm not saying that this thread shouldn't be here (that's for the mods to decide), I am saying it must be frustrating for the mod of the QR forum who is trying to grow it to see a flourishing thread largely about QR here.
The QR Forum is growing and growing, and I'm pleased with that. However, the BA Forum seems to be a place to post about QR when people simply don't fancy looking at the QR Forum.

Having seen the Mods discussing OT threads on the BA Forum, posting about other airlines on the BA Forum also came in for some slack. So, this would be a prime contender.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
It appears that frustration is very much there - and rightly so IMO.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The QR Forum is growing and growing, and I'm pleased with that
Quite a few years ago now when I was much more heavily involved with QR I volunteered to to be an FT Ambassador in that place.

Due to my role in QR product development, reasonably extensive staff (duty) travel and prior experience in their pricing & revenue management department there was probably nobody in the world more qualified to provide guidance about QR's product and service at that time. I even wrote the STPC policy that QR communicates so poorly to the public and accordingly is (was?) a source of a large amount of their forum's traffic. The EK forum had four or five Ambassadors when I expressed interest in helping out at QR but I never heard anything back...

Furthermore, QR became one of the largest airline's without substantial posting materialising on their forum. Only when we joined oneworld did the interest start to pick up.

Now I am out of it I doubt that I would be a good Ambassador any more.

But I think that FT's operators have allowed that forum to be neglected so they would have nobody to blame but themselves if they have missed the boat and other places here on FT become the preferred location for QR discussion.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Quite a few years ago now when I was much more heavily involved with QR I volunteered to to be an FT Ambassador in that place.

Due to my role in QR product development, reasonably extensive staff (duty) travel and prior experience in their pricing & revenue management department there was probably nobody in the world more qualified to provide guidance about QR's product and service at that time. I even wrote the STPC policy that QR communicates so poorly to the public and accordingly is (was?) a source of a large amount of their forum's traffic. The EK forum had four or five Ambassadors when I expressed interest in helping out at QR but I never heard anything back...

Furthermore, QR became one of the largest airline's without substantial posting materialising on their forum. Only when we joined oneworld did the interest start to pick up.

But I think that FT's operators have allowed that forum to be neglected so they would have nobody to blame but themselves if they have missed the boat and other places here on FT become the preferred location for QR discussion.
I would be surprised if you didn't make a great Ambassador, I don't see it matters much if your experience with QR is in the past
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread started life as a question about QR’s longevity as a BA Executive Club partner but since the discussion has morphed firmly on QR’s future position as a oneworld partner, this thread is now better suited to the QR forum, and has now been moved there.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:53 pm

AAB likes to give soundbites, don't take the threat about QR leaving Oneworld very seriously. In fact don't take anything he says in press conferences seriously, his first language is neither Arabic nor English so he gets misinterpreted easily and tends to mess up what he tries to say (e.g. MIA comments - which were irresponsible). The MIA incident was taken very seriously at QR and the QCAA investigation is ongoing.

The relationship with AA is strained (not only due to the US3 vs ME3 thing) but I expect it to improve once the subsidies row subsides. While people highlight that CX is dropping its route to DOH, the loads were good but yields were poor it has nothing to do with difficulties in a working relationship with QR. QR/CX still maintain a codeshare relationship (although CX only maintains their code on the HKG-DOH route). QR recently entered into a reciprocal codeshare with BA which will be expanded, its relationship with IAG Cargo is expanding, it started codesharing with JL and most recently RJ. So the relationships with QR's oneworld partners are growing.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Jan 15, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:59 pm

My understanding is that the Al Baker tribe and the Al Thani tribes are sworn enemies.

I also understand that Akbar was something of an entrepreneur in his youth and a dollar millionaire at 18. He still has substantial holdings in Qatar outside of Qatar Airways.

So if he is so independently wealthy, why is he the CEO of QR? My understanding is that when he was appointed back in the days it was a punishment for offending the Emir. But Akbar made it a success to show the Al Thani's that the Al Baker's were not to be trifled with.

Having worked at QR and interacted with Akbar himself from time-to-time I would say that he is an excellent CEO because he takes clear decisions on the basis of facts and stands up for what he believes in. He has an open door and anybody in the company can go to see him. If a member of the public e-mails him, they will most likely get a response.

It is true that he sometimes sacks people directly, but it can make sense "to encourage the others".

I was never afraid of him and he seemed to respect that when I had dealings with him. I also noted that my initiatives were always ticked 'approved' because they were thoroughly researched and fundamentally sound. He gets a lot of nonsense on his desk and it can be hard to win his trust.

QR is still losing money, but this is mainly because the government intervene in their ex-Doha pricing policy.
Al-Bakers and Al-Thanis are not sworn enemies. AAB is not from the Al-Baker family anyways, he has the name through adoption when his Indian mother married a Qatari from the Al-Baker family.

AAB's background is in accounting and he worked at DOH airport as ground staff in various positions starting at the very bottom and was working at the CAA when he was appointed to run QR. His appointment was not by the Emir and QR was 100% privately owned at that time.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your employment at the company may have precluded you from the ambassador rôle. We are mostly here to say hello to new folks in the hopes of persuading them that FT is a warm and welcoming place, especially as in some quarters the welcome a typical newbie receives is a regular shouting "use the search function!".

The BA forum needs about forty of us to give the impression we are friendly. Perhaps the QR forum does not suffer from such a shortcoming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.