Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Is QR already on the way to leaving oneworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is QR already on the way to leaving oneworld?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Would be happy to see QR go. I know there are a lot of love birds on this thread who fly J on QR and good luck to you. Down the back they are awful. Flew QR DOH-DXB return this week in Y. Dreadful joke of a "First Class" lounge in DOH for Emerald's...no hot food and a couple of people came in decided to leave to seek an outside restaurant. Seats on QR have the same or worse pitch than Y on BA's European flights. On board "food" revolting and a meager offering. IFE non-existent, Avios awarded on Y flights pathetic. Due to weird meeting schedule I also flew EK from DXB-DOH the same week and just no comparison. EK miles ahead in every department with only "downside" being that you don't get the fast track DXB-DOH immigration queue at DOH as is only available for QR.

Would be delighted if they left oneworld as I for one won't be flying them again
I think such a strong claim from such a short flight is not very warranted... Personally, I have flown QR in Y from Spain to Australia, no less, and found them more than adequate... Although I grant you that the food was not to my taste (but not really worse than BA's either).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cymro
I'm not suggesting that the QR stake is more important to IAG than the JBV is: on the contrary.

The problem is that if QR does form a new alliance, maybe taking CX and MH with it, it then has a problem with its 10% investment in IAG. It has three options:
Okay I think we agree ^

CX and QR will shortly be terminating their joint venture, which may signify a lack of interest in cooperating there
MH is a bit of a joke at the moment, they might leave oneworld to save on the fees ... but they will be in urgent need of interline feed as their longhaul schedule winds down
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=DYKWIA;26019881]I agree fully... what he came out with was complete bollox.

From what I've read, it would appear that the incident was down to a number of factors (mainly mis-communication/mis-understanding between the crew and ATC). He should have just said "There were lots of factors that contributed to incident, not all of which were Qatar's responsibility. Please await the NTSB report. We will consider any changes recommended by the NTSB".[/QUOTE]

Absolutely - that stance will gain more credibility that attempting to blame others.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Okay I think we agree ^

CX and QR will shortly be terminating their joint venture, which may signify a lack of interest in cooperating there.

MH is a bit of a joke at the moment, they might leave oneworld to save on the fees ... but they will be in urgent need of interline feed as their longhaul schedule winds down
I wasn't aware of the CX/QR JV terminating although I have to admit I never really followed it that closely (or really understood what it was for, given that QR seems to want to operate out of as many airports as KL).

Agree with you on MH although they do have a nice regional network, especially if we could get QR/BA codeshares going out of KUL.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I think QR would lack a fundamental point if it decided to create a new alliance: a US airline. Reason why I believe QR will stay in oneworld.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:25 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
His Excellency is definitely a loose cannon.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I think QR would lack a fundamental point if it decided to create a new alliance: a US airline. Reason why I believe QR will stay in oneworld.
B6?

Is a dense US airline that important for QR's operations? At the moment AA only grudgingly interlines with it and prefers to cooperate with EY.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Wow. I hope that culture does nt permeate down from the top.
I have worked there and sadly it does. Everything everyone does has a 'what will the Chief say?' mentality; it is voiced at most meetings. Nobody thinks for themselves through pure fear. It is the worst place I have ever worked and I was shocked that any company could ever work in such a manner.

From a customer perspective in J though they are excellent.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cymro
I wasn't aware of the CX/QR JV terminating although I have to admit I never really followed it that closely
It is mentioned in passing in this article: http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...evolves-257302

To be honest a lot of that article was speculation so maybe that was unreliable as well!

Without BA connections – a scenario that could have emerged – Cathay would have struggled with two of its five London flights. Even under the Cathay-Qatar Airways partnership (to be dissolved from 2016), connections with BA over London Heathrow often offered faster journey times to secondary European markets than via Doha with Qatar.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Calchas
B6?

Is a dense US airline that important for QR's operations? At the moment AA only grudgingly interlines with it and prefers to cooperate with EY.
Already pretty tied in with EK. Although, I'm sure money talks.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Already pretty tied in with EK. Although, I'm sure money talks.
It's not exclusive, B6 have reasonably deep codesharing with dozens of airlines. When QR announced DOH-BOS they immediately arranged to codeshare on all B6 services out of BOS (http://airlineroute.net/2015/11/23/q...deshare-mar16/) although I haven't scrutinized the fares to see if they are reasonable value for money.

My suspicion is that the QR-B6 partnership is already more secure than the QR-AA "relationship".
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
I always thought that QR joining an airline alliance was more for AAB's ego more so than anything. EY despite being smaller, found it easier to go for the Partners route more so than joining an alliance. I would suspect QR's original intenrion on joining oneworld would be the Chief's beliefs that he could sway the alliance to his benefit due to the size of QR and as a member of ME3. Clearly he is wrong - the TATL JV probably will hold more weight than AAB's nagging amongst others, and QR is now in a slight fix as leaving would only bruise AAB's ego if no one follows along, not to mention not being able to leverage against EK's bigger size through using the offline access in oneworld.

AAB probably doesn't realise that his bluff of making noises isn't working as well - he will get ignored if he keeps making empty promises. Yet again, AAB knows he can't act on his threats because there are some benefits on QR that he doesn't want to let go, especially given the importance AAB puts on having 'face'.

Although admittedly my only beef in this is le cheap ex-CMB and ex-OSL QR fares and visits to Al Mourjan WHILST being able to get TPs.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Actually, if he'd explained exactly what happened, he would have come out sounding a lot better
A perfect example of how this community has very little in common with the rest of the world.

Explaining to the average person that your airline made a serious mistake but won't do it again isn't remotely better than pretending it wasn't your fault. If you do the former they'd merely focus on "we made a mistake" and disregard everything that comes after it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Here's a thread from last time this happened, about six months ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-oneworld.html
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A state run airline shouldn't be encouraged.

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Here's a thread from last time this happened, about six months ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-oneworld.html
On the QR forum as well....now there's a surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.