FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Which lounge is better to visit, LHR or DOH? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1736919-lounge-better-visit-lhr-doh.html)

headinclouds Jan 6, 2016 9:16 am

Which lounge is better to visit, LHR or DOH?

I’m planning a 1-way biz class award ticket for next Oct from the UK/Europe to Malaysia. I’ve flown CX & BA, but not QR. I would like to check them out, especially the lounges. Based upon the combinations of award availability and flight schedules, I would need to pick either LHR or DOH for a lounge visit.

My priorities for a 1-2 hour lounge visit are: Interesting food & non-alcoholic drinks other than sodas; champagne; ambiance and runway views; computer access. Which lounge would you choose to spend more time visiting, LHR or DOH? I assume that the other European lounges that QR uses are not worth any special effort. I have both OW sapphire and emerald status.

Crisu69 Jan 6, 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds (Post 25971781)
I’m planning a 1-way biz class award ticket for next Oct from the UK/Europe to Malaysia. I’ve flown CX & BA, but not QR. I would like to check them out, especially the lounges. Based upon the combinations of award availability and flight schedules, I would need to pick either LHR or DOH for a lounge visit.

My priorities for a 1-2 hour lounge visit are: Interesting food & non-alcoholic drinks other than sodas; champagne; ambiance and runway views; computer access. Which lounge would you choose to spend more time visiting, LHR or DOH? I assume that the other European lounges that QR uses are not worth any special effort. I have both OW sapphire and emerald status.

I suppose in LHR you will have access to business galleries lounge. In that case i would prefer the Al Mourjan lounge in Doha. Not so crowded, very big, new, food ok also a la cart and the famous Kurg Champagner.
But Al Mourjan not offer any runway views. The wireless is ok and there are also many computers. According to your priorities for me no question: Al Mourjan Doha and not the BA ballaries lounge in LHR.

You should also have access to BA first class galaries lounge in LHR because you are emerald. I can not say nothing about it because i never been in this lounge.

BlackBerryAddict Jan 6, 2016 9:50 am

If you are flying QR from LHR you would have access to the QR business class lounge in Terminal 4 - and not the BA lounges in T3 or T5.

But if you are flying QR biz all the way, you would have access to the Al Mourjan lounge as well. The LHR lounge does have windows but I can't remember whether has runway views.

headinclouds Jan 6, 2016 9:54 am

Should have stated an all QR trip, so no T3 or T5 access. My questions related to the merits of each QR lounge. I've been to BA's galleries 1st lounges before.

UpperDeckDude Jan 6, 2016 11:07 am

The QR T4 London lounge has no runway view, all you might see is a few planes at their gates. It is basically a corridor next to a window with some larger areas at either end of the corridor. Perfectly pleasant but not a reason to alter a trip to visit it.

The Doha Lounge is much bigger and would be a better choice. Also if I was not to have lounge access for part of a trip, I would prefer not to have it in London rather then Doha.

But maybe your status would gain you entry to the QR or other T4 lounges anyway?

Definitely avoid CDG for QR Lounge.

OnePassenger Jan 6, 2016 8:13 pm

No doubt!

The QR Business Class lounge at LHR is spectacular on all counts

AL Mourjan is big and pompous
Go for LHR, without a doubt

capin Jan 6, 2016 8:43 pm

Tricky choice.

The LHR lounge is intimate and fabulous, and as usual with QR, Great service, fab a la carte dining and lovely drinks.

The Al Mourjan is more salubrious and grandeur, I really like the entrance up the escalators.

Actually, I'd go for Al Mourjan.

zebrametalevel Jan 6, 2016 9:33 pm

I prefer the LHR one. As mentioned, no runway view, but it does look out over a gate so you'll see some planes. There's not much going on there, but the food selection is excellent, and it's nicely designed. There's never a queue for the bathrooms or shower facilities, and I like the small water feature. You can always pop over to the Malaysia Airlines lounge for an hour to watch the planes take off if required.

Al Mourjan is nice too, but the food selection is much worse there. Sandwich bar is nice. I always find the Wifi there to be a bit spotty. Often a queue for the showers. It does have a very large and beautiful water feature in the middle.

Personally I'd do T4 LHR's lounge.

Al Mourjan water feature
T4 water feature

Saudi Jan 7, 2016 9:50 am

I was just in both lounges, right before new years. I found the LHR lounge much nicer, more intimate, better food, better service. I was in the DOH lounge at breakfast so might have been better for dinner, but historically when I was in DOH the lounge was so busy finding a seat was difficult. That was during the time when OWE were allowed in, so might be different now. Plus in LHR they have a good grab bag of candy, you can make your own gift box of candies, chocolates, other treats. Makes a good gift where ever you are going.

mpkz Jan 7, 2016 11:10 am

Prefer al Mourjan by far. LHR lounge is much smaller, and aside from the food (which is almost as good at al Mourjan, if not better, depending on what you prefer), I really didn't understand why it's so highly rated here.

capin Jan 7, 2016 11:20 am

Originally Posted by mpkz (Post 25978848)
Prefer al Mourjan by far. LHR lounge is much smaller, and aside from the food (which is almost as good at al Mourjan, if not better, depending on what you prefer), I really didn't understand why it's so highly rated here.

Probably because my point of reference is AA and BA lounges. :p

Thats cleared all that up then

dave31 Jan 8, 2016 4:22 am

Without a doubt Heathrow. Of course, much smaller than Al Mourjan but you get far more personal service at Heathrow. It is small, chic and stylish.Food is good and bathrooms excellent.