Wiki Posts
Search

QR Gold to Silver downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

QR Gold to Silver downgrade

Dear all

I have held Gold status all year and I am now 25 points short of my renewal in two weeks. I will not meet this target.

Does this mean I will go down to Silver?

The benefits do not seem that much different. Still with lounge access, priority boarding, separate check in.

The only difference I could see was am extra 10kgs luggage allowance (rather than 15kg with gold) and two guest passes into the lounge rather than 4 with gold.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by eastflyer123
Dear all

I have held Gold status all year and I am now 25 points short of my renewal in two weeks. I will not meet this target.

Does this mean I will go down to Silver?

The benefits do not seem that much different. Still with lounge access, priority boarding, separate check in.

The only difference I could see was am extra 10kgs luggage allowance (rather than 15kg with gold) and two guest passes into the lounge rather than 4 with gold.

Thanks
Yes.

Do also remember you will only qualify for 25% tier bonus mileage. Golds get 75%.

You will also lose your entitlement to 40 Q Credits.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Dec 10, 2015 at 5:17 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Status renewal is calculated on the previous 12 or 24 months period, whichever is better for you. Did you check with Tier calculator how many Qpoints you really miss (and if you comply with other requirements : minimum number of QR flights or 20% Qpoints earned on QR flights) ?

If I were missing only 25 Qpoints, I would do a Tier Point run, flying any OneWorld airline, QR if possible (to make sure your Qpoints will post immediatly as it can take a few days/weeks to be posted with another OneWorld airline and you might enter a long discussion with Privilege Club if these Qpoints are posted too late for your Gold status renewal and want them to take in account the flying date instead of the posting date) as missing the 40 Qcredits provided with Gold status is a big loss (you can upgrade 1 or 2 flights with them), and so is the loss of 75% Qmiles bonus and OneWorld Sapphire status (which give you access to business class lounge when flying other OneWorld airlines).

You can easily earn enough Qpoints with a short haul return ticket with a stop (ex : CDG-LHR-AMS return ticket with BA) : check with Q Calculator how many Qpoints you will get according to the booking class you buy.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum
From gold to silver you will also not have access to oneworld business lounges when flying on oneworld airline. Only in doha you have same access like gold card holder when flying y.
if you fly y from bkk to doha for example, you not have access to the cathay business lounge in bkk if you are only silver.

Last edited by Crisu69; Dec 10, 2015 at 7:03 am
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crisu69
From gold to silver you will also not have access to oneworld business lounges when flying on oneworld airline. Only in doha you have same access like gold card holder when flying y.
if you fly y from bkk to doha for example, you not have access to the cathay business lounge in bkk if you are only silver.
Silvers have lounge access to QR lounges (the lounges J passengers will go to, except at LHR) outside DOH when flying with QR. But you have to fly with QR, no lounge access for instance if flying CX or BA and you only get access to the lounge QR wants you to go to instead of any OW lounge. So in your BKK-DOH example you will have access lounge access, but it will be the Thai lounge not the CX lounge.

For me the other oneworld thing is crucial because I often fly non-QR oneworld airlines.

I think silver - gold is a fairly big step in terms of benefits. Gold to platinum on the other hand is something that I normally haven't bothered with, though let's see how platinum is next year now that I'll get it from globetrotter.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I rarely fly other airlines as QR is my airline of choice for the Middle East and most of my business is in London, Doha and Dubai anyway.

So just to summarise, with silver, I will still have lounge access, at all three airports?

I did consider the quick trip to gain the extra points, but my schedule just does not allow it. No time!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
So just to summarise, with silver, I will still have lounge access, at all three airports?

I did consider the quick trip to gain the extra points, but my schedule just does not allow it. No time!
With Silver, you will have lounge access everywhere provided you fly QR.
Did you check exactly how many Qpoints you need for Gold status renewal with Tier Calculator ?
If you don't fly before your renewal date, you may fly after to get Gold status again : the only difference is that you will need more Qpoints. Just check Tier Calcultor (accessible from your Privilege Club dashboard, not to be mistaken with Q Calculator) to know at anytime how many Qpoints you need to change of status.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

I did indeed check. And it is 25 points.

Just to be clear on one thing - can I earn points on any QR affiliated airline like British Airways under oneworld to accrue Qpoints or is it just on QR?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
I did indeed check. And it is 25 points.

Just to be clear on one thing - can I earn points on any QR affiliated airline like British Airways under oneworld to accrue Qpoints or is it just on QR?
Yes, you can. As long as the fare class that you buy, is a earner. QR's website stipulates which fare classes earn, at what rate (ie 50%, 125% etc), on what airline.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: QR Gold / OW Sapphire, Le Club Accor Gold, Shangri La Jade
Golds also get a 5% discount on award tickets. With regards to lounge access - this will only be for yourself, whereas you can bring a +1 with you when Gold.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
A MR is totally worthy as Gold gives your 40 Qcredit which can worth up to $1000(more if fancy an upgrade from biz to first) if you do an one way upgrade between SE Asia and Europe.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:09 am

I believe tier renewal can also look at your last 24 months if you incur 550 QPoints. You may check this too.

Yes, silver to gold is a huge jump in terms of benefits. What was not mentioned yet is that with Gold, you can have complimentary Al Maha meet and greet services.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:49 pm

With Gold and flying in Y in other oneworld airline then qatar you have lounge access to oneworld lounges. With silver in Y and not flying Qatar you have no lounge access.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:48 pm

Since the OP's question has been addressed I'd like to piggy back on the link to ask a related but different question. In order to renew my lowly silver status I need to have the requisite points before January 6 (or Jan 5). I have a two short flights on January 5 on AA which will give me the 10 points I am short. However, these points take anywhere from 2-7 days in my experience to post and the date that is posted is usually that which is indicated. So the question is what are my chances of getting QR to renew my silver status if they don't give me credit for the actual date of the flight? Can I do anything in advance like sending them the BPs on January 5. Or should I simply wait. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by saveri
Since the OP's question has been addressed I'd like to piggy back on the link to ask a related but different question. In order to renew my lowly silver status I need to have the requisite points before January 6 (or Jan 5). I have a two short flights on January 5 on AA which will give me the 10 points I am short. However, these points take anywhere from 2-7 days in my experience to post and the date that is posted is usually that which is indicated. So the question is what are my chances of getting QR to renew my silver status if they don't give me credit for the actual date of the flight? Can I do anything in advance like sending them the BPs on January 5. Or should I simply wait. Thanks in advance.
You can request missing qmiles on the PC homepage. I have done this several times with BA flights. The points and miles were credited to my account the same day or even some minutes later. Cant remember anymore, but it was very fast. You need your ticket no. for that and flight must be finished

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.