Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI turnaround is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Is the best way to check the terminal to call Qatar Airways?
You'll probably read it here first.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Question for the group- As a result of piecing together a complicated itinerary that needed some positioning flights, I am doing my first CAI transfer, and my flights are as follows:

Inbound: CMB-DOH-CAI, arrive on QR at 4:40 PM

Outbound: CAI-DOH-IAH, leave on QR at 7:10 PM

These are two separate one way itineraries.

So, a 2.5 hr layover & I assume no terminal change? I'm wondering if I should worry, any tips on the transfer & does anyone know if I will be able to get QR in DOH to print my return ticket on that first layover?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
...So, a 2.5 hr layover & I assume no terminal change? I'm wondering ... does anyone know if I will be able to get QR in DOH to print my return ticket on that first layover?
I suspect they may be able to print a copy of your ticket; however, I suspect it is boarding passes you are after.

At the end of October I was unsuccessful in getting the transfer desk at DOH to print boarding passes for a new itinerary starting from CAI. The transfer desk staff were unsure whether I might be able to get boarding passes from CAI if I went through immigration and worked with QR ticketing staff landside. Without better assurance, I decided not to try this.

It might be worth asking the lounge staff in DOH if you will be using a lounge; I should have asked them but did not.

I have not seen any report of someone getting BP's in DOH for a new itinerary ex-CAI, but if someone has managed, I would be very interested in what procedure was used for future reference.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Am I missing something here? You can check in and print Qatar Airways tickets up to 36 hour before you fly. Can you not print off both boarding passes before you fly?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
I will be using the QR 1st lounge (planning some quality time there). I'll ask them and see. If OLCI works, hopefully I should be able to work something out, unless it's a customs issue.

If I do have to go through the process, it should still be T1-T1, correct? Same aircraft perhaps?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CruisingAltitude47
I will be using the QR 1st lounge (planning some quality time there). I'll ask them and see. If OLCI works, hopefully I should be able to work something out, unless it's a customs issue.

If I do have to go through the process, it should still be T1-T1, correct? Same aircraft perhaps?
There seems to be an awful lot written about this.

You will not be able to get a boarding pass for your Cairo departing flight anywhere but Cairo. That's the theory, and, as far as I'm aware, it's also the practice with QR.

However, you are not the only person to transfer between flights at Cairo. Present a print out of your itinerary to the transfer desk: they will take care of things.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
There is a lot of info in the thread above, but to summarize again:

1) If you are arriving CAI and departing on the same QR flight, without checked luggage, don't worry, you will almost certainly make it!

2) You can do OLCI for flights from CAI, but you won't get a boarding pass. You'll get a "OLCI Receipt" which needs to be exchanged for a real boarding pass at the CAI airport. You only obtain the paper boarding pass necessary for CAI departing flights from CAI itself.*

3) Coming from a QR flight: Once you arrive in CAI, enter the terminal from the bus and immediately turn left (yellow transfer sign) and you'll see a set of glass doors. Present either your itinerary or the OLCI Receipt (or on your phone - whatever just have something with your flight details). The authorities (police in white or black uniforms) are prepared for this and are aware some people are doing it. It may not be fast, or you may not perceive it to be organized - but eventually a QR representative will arrive and take your details and you'll get a real boarding pass and be admitted to the terminal to catch your connection. (This is in T1, subject to change soon, but not yet as of writing).

4) The same applies if changing between terminals - have something of record of your flight details, show up at the transfer desk, and you will be transported to T1. It will take longer than QR to QR flights - so allow more time.

5) If you have checked luggage, and it's not checked through - be prepared to enter Egypt, claim your luggage, and check in as a normal departing passenger. Again, this is easy if you have a passport that allows visa on arrival in Egypt (most western passports). If you have luggage, to be safe, there are 2 QR flights per day (twice per week 3 per day), you can arrive on one and get the next rotation out (not same plane) and stay in the restaurant/cafe for a few hours - it's not so bad.

6) The above is true no matter the time of day, or your specific details, or the QR-QR connection (2 per day, 3 on some days). It's a 24 hour airport. The biggest pending change will be the move to T2, someone here will update when that happens.

*One exception is to check in at CMB with UL staff for a journey on two separate tickets (CMB-DOH-CAI then CAI-DOH-XXX) and one user was able to obtain all boarding passes at CMB including the CAI departing flight. YMMV. However, a boarding pass doesn't really help, you are held in the transfer area until QR can take care of you.

Last edited by UAworldwide; Jan 19, 2017 at 6:37 am Reason: Added boarding pass exception
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by UAworldwide

1) If you are arriving CAI and departing on the same QR flight, without checked luggage, don't worry, you will almost certainly make it!

2) You can do OLCI for flights from CAI, but you won't get a boarding pass. You'll get a "OLCI Receipt" which needs to be exchanged for a real boarding pass at the CAI airport. You only obtain the paper boarding pass necessary for CAI departing flights from CAI itself.

3) Coming from a QR flight: Once you arrive in CAI, enter the terminal from the bus and immediately turn left (yellow transfer sign) and you'll see a set of glass doors. Present either your itinerary or the OLCI Receipt (or on your phone - whatever just have something with your flight details). The authorities (police in white or black uniforms) are prepared for this and are aware some people are doing it. It may not be fast, or you may not perceive it to be organized - but eventually a QR representative will arrive and take your details and you'll get a real boarding pass and be admitted to the terminal to catch your connection. (This is in T1, subject to change soon, but not yet as of writing).

4) The same applies if changing between terminals - have something of record of your flight details, show up at the transfer desk, and you will be transported to T1. It will take longer than QR to QR flights - so allow more time.

5) If you have checked luggage, and it's not checked through - be prepared to enter Egypt, claim your luggage, and check in as a normal departing passenger. Again, this is easy if you have a passport that allows visa on arrival in Egypt (most western passports). If you have luggage, to be safe, there are 3 QR flights per day (some days only 2), you can arrive on one and get the next rotation out (not same plane) and stay in the restaurant/cafe for a few hours - it's not so bad.

6) The above is true no matter the time of day, or your specific details, or the QR-QR connection (3 per day, 2 some days). It's a 24 hour airport. The biggest pending change will be the move to T2, someone here will update when that happens.
Fantastic summary UAworldwide, thanks very much!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by more4less
Fantastic summary UAworldwide, thanks very much!
Agreed. All the info in one place. Maybe even a Turnaround/Transit wiki could be created?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:08 am

NZ_Flyer look at posts 88 and 89 of this thread. We are just awaiting the move to T2 so as to get it right first time!

It's coming SOON! Hopefully not a typical QR soon!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )

5) If you have checked luggage, and it's not checked through - be prepared to enter Egypt, claim your luggage, and check in as a normal departing passenger. Again, this is easy if you have a passport that allows visa on arrival in Egypt (most western passports). If you have luggage, to be safe, there are 3 QR flights per day (some days only 2), you can arrive on one and get the next rotation out (not same plane) and stay in the restaurant/cafe for a few hours - it's not so bad.

6) The above is true no matter the time of day, or your specific details, or the QR-QR connection (3 per day, 2 some days). It's a 24 hour airport. The biggest pending change will be the move to T2, someone here will update when that happens.

So is a 1:40 connection feasible with checked bags? If I missed the original flight they'd rebook me on the later one?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

At the risk of splitting hairs, given that a third QR DOH-CAI-DOH flight currently only operates two days per week (i.e. five days per week it doesn't) may I politely suggest that there are 2 QR flights per day (some days 3) more closely reflects QR's timetable.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
At the risk of splitting hairs, given that a third QR DOH-CAI-DOH flight currently only operates two days per week (i.e. five days per week it doesn't) may I politely suggest that there are 2 QR flights per day (some days 3) more closely reflects QR's timetable.
Excellent point, I have edited. I thought the night time flight ran more often than that (I've taken it only once, inbound to CAI, in my opinion it's horrible timings).
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Just got an ExperFlyer notification about the departure airport of my Oct'17 flight changing from

"Cairo, Cairo International Airport, Egypt"

to

"Cairo (Cairo International Airport), C, Egypt"
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've flown in, and out, but never on the same airlift - not even on the same day or on QR. But in theory it should be easier than Cairo. The fly in the ointment is that what you intend to do is irregular at best, and the immigration people - and indeed Qatar staff - might not have run into it before. And it's not the best of times for irregularities.

I'm certain they'll find a way to accommodate you, Egyptians are nothing if not resourceful when it comes to workarounds, but there just might be a scratching of heads. It could be an idea to sensitise QR staff at Alex or Cairo before you get there
I'm planning to do a 9 hour transit at HBE (Alexandria - Borg El Arab) arriving 2 am on TK and departing 11 am on QR to Doha (business class). I'm quite happy to get a visa on arrival (done this several times at Cairo), but I'm wondering how I could sensibly and safely while away the time, given that the airport's in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.