Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI turnaround is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by crombiestone

I would abandon hopes of QR moving to T2 by February . Egyptian "soft" openings are notoriously long! When I passed through T2 from the train to T3 2 weeks ago there were only 2 flights listed on the departures board . My next Flights from CAI are in April and I'm still expecting them to be from T1
Let's see. CAI T2 began operations on 28 September 2016 with KU (approx 14 no. departures per week) and J9 (approx 10 no. departures per week).

They have recently been joined by RJ (approx 26 no. departures per week).

So T2 is currently handling an average of 7 no. departures per day.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:41 am

2 hours turnaround time time heading to US. Is it enough? 4.30pm in and 7am out
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:48 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Even though reading through the whole thread now, I'm still a bit confused how to transfer between T1 and T3. The CAI website only talks about a bus connecting every 30 minutes, here I read about a car doing that and a monorail. Also read the terminals are 2km apart, so walking does not seem the best idea. So what are really the options? And does any prevent me from going through immigration?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
Even though reading through the whole thread now, I'm still a bit confused how to transfer between T1 and T3. The CAI website only talks about a bus connecting every 30 minutes, here I read about a car doing that and a monorail. Also read the terminals are 2km apart, so walking does not seem the best idea. So what are really the options? And does any prevent me from going through immigration?
It's really not so difficult. Present yourself at the transfer desk
and they'll arrange a car/van apron transfer.

I believe I read up thread a step by step description of the process.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry - duplicate
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:48 am
Formerly known as koeche

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's really not so difficult. Present yourself at the transfer desk
and they'll arrange a car/van apron transfer.

I believe I read up thread a step by step description of the process.
The only post I've seen describes how to transfer inside one terminal. Have you ever done the transfer from T3 to T1 by going to the transfer desk?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27431474-post24.html.. tells you how to find the transfer desk.

There they will direct you to apron transport to T3 (there might be a wait).

At T3 they will process your documents, then set you free into the airside departure area.

It's a well practised system; you really dont't have to do anything special, just follow signs and instructions.

And, yes, I've done it.

This post from some idiot might help further http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25421541-post4.html

The point to remember is that Cairo is a major international airport: transfers are routine. Officials are generally helpful and certainly know what they're doing. The place and the process might appear chaotic, a bit of a shambles, but it works.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Nov 13, 2016 at 12:26 pm Reason: adding the second link
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:04 pm
Formerly known as koeche

Great thanks, now it seems more clear. I did once the turnaround in T3 and it was quite a mission and I felt I'm the only one ever wanting to do that.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB silver
Turnaround at midnight

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
Yes, doable. I did this yesterday (4 Nov 2016), and it worked perfectly QR1301 to QR1302.

Most days the QR1301 lands around 16:30 to 16:45, giving you even more time.

Have your boarding pass printed out (check in on line receipt or ticket copy works too) and follow what I've said in post #24.

Good Luck!
Hi folks,
Would it work as easy with QR1305 arriving ar 23:20 and QR1306 leaving at 1:10 am in the night (hand luggage only).
Connection time is 1:50, but it is in the middle of the night!
Don't wanna become a NoShow on QR1306 and pay a big pemalty as consequence plus end up stranded in CAI in the middle of the night.
So i better ask twice before I go for it.
Anyone done it on these particular flights?
Can I checkin online up-front (Routing CAI-DOH-LON) and get my boarding pass online?
Thanks and regards from BRU!

Last edited by uewi100; Nov 27, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB silver
Midnight turnaround

Any help?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
It's a 24 hour airport, so I don't see any difference in your travel being at night.

Your journey should be do able as myself and others described.

Yes, you should be able to check in on line however the website won't issue you an on line boarding pass for the departing Cairo leg, but it will give you a "check in receipt" which you can exchange for a boarding pass at the transfer desk, as described above. Either have this receipt or a paper copy of your onward ticket itinerary printed out (on available on your phone) to ease the transfer, as already described above.

Let us know how it goes.

There is a very nice Le Meridien on the airport property as well as other hotels.

Last edited by UAworldwide; Dec 3, 2016 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uewi100
Would it work as easy with QR1305 arriving ar 23:20 and QR1306 leaving at 1:10 am in the night (hand luggage only).
Connection time is 1:50, but it is in the middle of the night!
Can I checkin online up-front (Routing CAI-DOH-LON) and get my boarding pass online?
Thanks and regards from BRU!
Night-time won't make the process any more, or less, risky. It's pretty straightforward, and following the guidance in this thread and elsewhere on FT should ease you through it.

Still, back-to-back connection isn't a standard international transfer, so you might be quizzed if the immigration officer is new to QR shenanigans or wants to be awkward.

You won't get a boarding card anywhere but Cairo. Your itinerary print out or QR's acknowledgment of your on-line check-in will be sufficient, subject to the caveat outlined above.

With the cost if a visa and a night in an airport hotel less than $100, I'd take the easier, hassle-free route.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 2, 2016 at 1:04 am
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
Turnaround in SAW

Sorry - to highjack this thread, but I had a similar interesting experience
in SAW.

I planned to do a turnaround in SAW (Sabiha Airport - Istanbul) - checked in online for both flight there and back. Could print boarding pass going there, but only got a check-in confirmation for SAW to Doha.

In Doha asked them to print my SAW - DOH boarding pass but was told it can only be done in SAW. Of course the arriving in SAW - there is NO transfer counter for QR only Pegasus & Turkish airlines! The agent at Turkey desk told me - you have to go through immigration there is Qatar Airways office on the other side.

Told them I do not wish to enter Turkey - in any event the cues were unbelievably long. After speaking to a number of staff , supervisors etc one was kind enough to call one of QR staff who came. He took my passport and check in confirmation
and returned about 20 mins later with my boarding pass.

I was quite relieved and asked him about QR transfer desk. It seems not many passengers transfer/transit to QR and Turkish desk is suppose to act as GSA for QR. However the Turkish guys seem to know nothing about QR.

Ended well - how ever I always try and feel more relaxed if I have all by boarding passes in hand but here seems to be more and more airports where you cannot print your boarding pass there and back.

By the way, I chose SAW as the third leg of the Globetrotter promotion

Regards
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG & Marriott Plat Privilege Club Plat
Alternative Airports

I have noted that similar fares are available out of Egypt's other airports namely Alexandria or Luxor.

Has anyone tried to do a turnaround to any of these airports.

Logic suggests that these airports are smaller than CAI - i.e not multiple
terminals, buses transfers etc. - and therefor easier to tarnsit/turaround?

I presume the same applies - that you can do online check-in , but not print/get your boarding passes beforehand.

Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by Silver Falcon
Logic suggests that these airports are smaller than CAI - i.e not multiple terminals, buses transfers etc. - and therefor easier to tarnsit/turaround
Notwithstanding the logic of what you say, the same logic would also imply that these airports would not be prepared for airside transfers, wouldn't it?

I am looking at a family holiday for next summer taking advantage of the fares and the current RoE, so I'm equally interested in the answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.